Oregon involved in FBI case...no bueno

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

TualatinDuck
Senior

Re: Oregon involved in FBI case...no bueno

Post by TualatinDuck »

The implication for that bumbass team up north though, that may hurt. Them not us.
"And I can be the warrior for those who are frail and weak,
And I can be the compass for those that search and seek." ~Lem Absher
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Sounds like they gave or proposed offering Troy Brown tickets to a Mayweather fight. Not a whole lot of concrete evidence but still worrying to see Oregon potentially mixed up in this.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

TualatinDuck wrote:The implication for that bumbass team up north though, that may hurt. Them not us.
Not exactly. The NCAA can come down on a school for whatever they like when they feel determined as they could say they should know that the player was offered something illicit by a financial adviser in the way the Reggie Bush got USC in trouble. This is where the lines get blurred as some people want access to certain athletes not for the school but once they are pro's and can sign real contracts. Adidas wanted Bowen not for Louisville per se but for his shoe contract rights if he blows up. It's a calculated bet that some players might explode into their own brand line. With so many schools named and nobody from the schools actually involved, this isn't likely to be getting anyone in trouble without real evidence of the schools misdeeds.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

I remember when the Ayton stuff came out, a lot of the ex Oregon players joking about how they were broke and eating dorm/fast food.

Anyhow, this raises the question of how culpable the schools are for these sleazy sneaker pimps offering/giving money to recruits.

Like hey, go to Kansas(because it's a school that will brand well for Adidas) and we'll pay you for consideration of you signing with Adidas later. How is Kansas culpable for that? We will see if the defense here can prove that the universities knew and were culpable. It's the FBI's position that they did not know are not culpable.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Following Dan Wetzel who has been covering this, today could be the day that the father, Brian Bowen Sr will testify to what he was a part of and knows. As it pertains to us, here's the questions we need answered.
How much is astronomical? Code didn’t say. It did cause them to secure the $100,000 deal to attend Louisville, though.

Details are scare, for now. Was the offer from Oregon itself? Or was it from Nike, which sponsors the Ducks? Did Oregon coach Dana Altman know anything about it? Any assistant coaches? Or was it just a bluff, a negotiating ploy to get Adidas to pony up.

Testimony could answer all of that. Or raise other questions.
I've also read that it seems by and large that the US Attorneys feel like the schools are victims more than perpetrators at this point outside of what they can prove with Louisville.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

The university has announced that it's seeking information about the claims made about Altman and the basketball program. They also defended Altman, his staff and the program's reputations.

https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index. ... iver_index
TualatinDuck
Senior

Post by TualatinDuck »

From everything I have read, only Oregon or Ducks have been mentioned in the trial. Nothing about Altman or anyone else at the school.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

greenyellow wrote:The university has announced that it's seeking information about the claims made about Altman and the basketball program. They also defended Altman, his staff and the program's reputations.

The response by the University makes me feel a lot better. This is exactly the stance that the University needed to take this week. Hopefully Altman comes out of the gate in his press conference tomorrow denying these accusations as well.

It is highly suspect that every other instance mentioned so far has dollar values associated with them, except Oregon's so called "astronomical amount" to Bowen.

My guess...nothing to see here.....just trying to suck Nike in.

This needs to get resolved quickly, so we don't take a hit in recruiting. Is Bowen's father testifying today?
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

northbeachsf wrote:
greenyellow wrote:The university has announced that it's seeking information about the claims made about Altman and the basketball program. They also defended Altman, his staff and the program's reputations.

The response by the University makes me feel a lot better. This is exactly the stance that the University needed to take this week. Hopefully Altman comes out of the gate in his press conference tomorrow denying these accusations as well.

It is highly suspect that every other instance mentioned so far has dollar values associated with them, except Oregon's so called "astronomical amount" to Bowen.

My guess...nothing to see here.....just trying to suck Nike in.

This needs to get resolved quickly, so we don't take a hit in recruiting. Is Bowen's father testifying today?
Supposedly he's testifying but still nothing from him. As for what's come out today, it sounds like it's been one big borefest.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

Saw the O-Live article that said the trial is expected to last a month.
Brophdog88
Senior
GM: Denver Nuggets

Post by Brophdog88 »

Bowen did not recall anything from Oregon
Denver Nuggets DASL GM
Brophdog88
Senior
GM: Denver Nuggets

Post by Brophdog88 »

Bowen did not recall anything from Oregon
Denver Nuggets DASL GM
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Bullet dodged for now!

Arizona ..again?! Sean Miller still employed...
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

Brophdog88 wrote:Bowen did not recall anything from Oregon

Wow...dodged that bullet for now.
TualatinDuck
Senior

Post by TualatinDuck »

Lots there to digest and get into but wow, the $ he was paid over the years just to have his kid play ball. Never would have thought it was that corrupt.