Portland State @ Oregon (Nov 6 Tuesday 8 PM Pac-12 Net)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Merganzer
Senior

Re: Portland State @ Oregon (Nov 6 Tuesday 8 PM Pac-12 Net)

Post by Merganzer »

Duck07 wrote:Bol's length is both a blessing and a curse for him at times. It's interesting how you can compare different 7+ footers and how they fill out. I wouldn't expect him to be gaining any considerable mass and our coaches, as much as Bol, are going to have to figure out how to develop a a style for him that isn't lob dunks or 3's. I think adding some Kareem Sky-Hooks would be a good video lesson for him because Kareem also had a bit of that long and lanky build and rather than banging inside against shorter players he just went over the top of them.
Hopefully King has some post game to go with Okoro; should he, this frontcourt could be a match-up nightmare for other teams. White showed more offensive versatility than last season; he was much quicker initiating his moves.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

King is much more of a wing/scorer. Not a post up guy.

Wooten hasn't advanced in that part of his game as much as I thought he might have.
AshlandDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by AshlandDuck »

StevensTechU wrote:
After a whopping 1 game, I would say this team reminds me a bit of the old Cincinnati teams; athleticism everywhere, tenacious D, no offensive superstar.
King can score at three levels. I think you might be overlooking his ability to score. I also don't think this team needs a guy to take over the scoring load. There's enough offensive talent to spread out the scoring. I just think King is going to be a guy that will get buckets when the team needs them like Brooks was able to do. He'll be a better offensive threat than Troy Brown.
Juice
Four Star Recruit

Post by Juice »

AshlandDuck wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:
After a whopping 1 game, I would say this team reminds me a bit of the old Cincinnati teams; athleticism everywhere, tenacious D, no offensive superstar.
King can score at three levels. I think you might be overlooking his ability to score. I also don't think this team needs a guy to take over the scoring load. There's enough offensive talent to spread out the scoring. I just think King is going to be a guy that will get buckets when the team needs them like Brooks was able to do. He'll be a better offensive threat than Troy Brown.
Even if he is overlooking King's ability to score, until mid-December + however long it takes King to find his groove within the offense, STU's assessment of our team will be fairly accurate.
AshlandDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by AshlandDuck »

Juice wrote:
AshlandDuck wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:
Even if he is overlooking King's ability to score, until mid-December + however long it takes King to find his groove within the offense, STU's assessment of our team will be fairly accurate.

Luckily for the Ducks, the games that count the most are when King is supposed to be suited up to play. I think King is one of the most immediately talented scorers ever recruited at Oregon and perhaps in a lot of systems he'd come in and be an offensive superstar - though if not at Oregon, it won't be because of ability but lack of necessity.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Ashland, you may be right, but we can't and won't know until he's on the floor. Even that is an unknown.
AshlandDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by AshlandDuck »

StevensTechU wrote:Ashland, you may be right, but we can't and won't know until he's on the floor. Even that is an unknown.

Right, I'm definitely assuming he makes his way back to full health and gets sped up in time for conference season, but it's true that it may not work out that way.