Portland State @ Oregon (Nov 6 Tuesday 8 PM Pac-12 Net)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Re: Portland State @ Oregon (Nov 6 Tuesday 8 PM Pac-12 Net)

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Another foul on Bol for illegal standing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
whosyourwally
Five Star Recruit

Post by whosyourwally »

Soooo Orkoro. Future all-time Oregon rebounds leader if he sticks around for a few years. He looks very, very good on that end of the floor.

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

The women’s team won a hard fought battle.

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Good game Oregon, it showed having Pritchard back. Liked what I saw from Richardson, when this team is healthy they’ll be real good. My dream is to see this team beat Duke in the natty with that lame RJ Barrett, though they looked amazing tonight.

GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Watching Bol lose the ball inside this year is going to be so frustrating, but we've got to remember he's an 18 year old kid. Hopefully he can get stronger in the weight room between now and March.

Okoro and Richardson looked good tonight.

We can really be an elite defensive team this year if we play hard consistently. Payton has grown leaps and bounds at that end.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

GrantDuck wrote:Watching Bol lose the ball inside this year is going to be so frustrating, but we've got to remember he's an 18 year old kid. Hopefully he can get stronger in the weight room between now and March.

Okoro and Richardson looked good tonight.

We can really be an elite defensive team this year if we play hard consistently. Payton has grown leaps and bounds at that end.
Yes, it would be great to see a thicker Bol as the season moves on. Pritchard & White both looked sharp in their debuts.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Looks like Richardson wasn't as badly hurt as initially thought. They'll probably still slowly work him in so he doesn't reinjure his foot.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Kenny Wooten flat needs to rebound better than he did tonight. He's lot stronger, so no reason for him not to use his body better and box out. It pisses me off watching him lose rebounds because he just tries to out jump someone. Getting low and using position is a more effective way to rebound much of the time.

Bol actually had a nice rebounding game, although the crazy thing is he could easily have had 5 more rebounds.

Outside of defensive rebounding, we had a really nice game tonight. 3 point defense was a weakness last year, but was very good tonight.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Very happy with the quality of the win. PSU was never a threat to win but they're no slouch. The offense had flow, and I didn't expect the defense to look that smooth until January.

My very big question mark is with regard to where the points are going to come from. Pritchard plays off others. White plays off others. Bol is developing. Wooten can't create his own shot.

After a whopping 1 game, I would say this team reminds me a bit of the old Cincinnati teams; athleticism everywhere, tenacious D, no offensive superstar.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

GrantDuck wrote:Kenny Wooten flat needs to rebound better than he did tonight. He's lot stronger, so no reason for him not to use his body better and box out. It pisses me off watching him lose rebounds because he just tries to out jump someone. Getting low and using position is a more effective way to rebound much of the time.

Bol actually had a nice rebounding game, although the crazy thing is he could easily have had 5 more rebounds.

Outside of defensive rebounding, we had a really nice game tonight. 3 point defense was a weakness last year, but was very good tonight.
Everyone needs to rebound better except Okoro, he was great.

Bol Bol's post play both on offense and defense is pretty awful. I think we just need to expect him to be more of a stretch forward and to play more at the top of the key and on the outside.

It'd be great if he'd develop a post game and actually play defense, but that might not happen.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Bol actually rebounded better than Okoro on the defensive end last night.(and he STILL should have had about 5 more rebounds). Okoro's offensive rebounding rate was insane though.

White and Wooten were the 2 disappointments there.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

GrantDuck wrote:Bol actually rebounded better than Okoro on the defensive end last night.(and he STILL should have had about 5 more rebounds). Okoro's offensive rebounding rate was insane though.

Statistically sure, but Bol allowed lots of offensive rebounds for PSU, because of poor blocking out and effort.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
GrantDuck wrote:Bol actually rebounded better than Okoro on the defensive end last night.(and he STILL should have had about 5 more rebounds). Okoro's offensive rebounding rate was insane though.

Statistically sure, but Bol allowed lots of offensive rebounds for PSU, because of poor blocking out and effort.
Bol played with more spirit in the first game, the foul trouble seemed to irritate him. I agree with TK1 that it looked like he could have had even better stats had he expended more energy, and TK1 mentioned earlier that Bol is definitely not a back to the basket 5.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Bol's length is both a blessing and a curse for him at times. It's interesting how you can compare different 7+ footers and how they fill out. I wouldn't expect him to be gaining any considerable mass and our coaches, as much as Bol, are going to have to figure out how to develop a a style for him that isn't lob dunks or 3's. I think adding some Kareem Sky-Hooks would be a good video lesson for him because Kareem also had a bit of that long and lanky build and rather than banging inside against shorter players he just went over the top of them.