Miles Norris on track to redshirt?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Greenblood
Senior

Miles Norris on track to redshirt?

Post by Greenblood »

I found the statement that "Miles Norris [is] being considered for a redshirt season" in the EWU game story in the RG:

https://www.ducksports.com/sports/20181 ... washington

I was not aware of that. Now I see that he hasn't played in either counting game, so unless he has an undisclosed injury, maybe they are thinking of redshirting him.

I'm not sure what I think of that idea. If true, it would certainly seem to speak well of the depth Altman feels he has at the 4 position given Norris's credentials (four-star recruit with a scout grade of 87 by ESPN … Ranked 78th nationally in ESPN’s top 100 … Listed as the No. 73 player nationally and the 19th-best power forward by 247Sports.com … The No. 3 power forward of the 2018 class to come out of California and the west region as a whole), and perhaps also suggests that they still have good confidence that King (though he's more of a 3, I understand) will still be able to have a significant impact for the team this season. Are they pretty certain that Bol, King and perhaps Wooten will all be gone, in addition to White, after this year, thereby likely creating immediate playing time for Norris?

I didn't see him play in the exhibition game. Did he seem pretty raw in his 9 minutes (which also suggests he probably isn't injured)?

I always worry in this age of quick gratification and athlete's decisions to transfer to another school what the athlete himself thinks of the idea of redshirting. I can't imagine when Norris first signed that he imagined not playing this year.
Last edited by Greenblood on Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duck07
All-American

Re: Miles Norris in line to redshirt?

Post by Duck07 »

He's not injured, I saw him make 6-7 from the left wing from 3 during warmups on Friday and he looked just fine moving around. He's the exact opposite of Okoro when it comes to the 4 spot and will be that modern 4 for us while Okoro is going to be that old school 4 and 5 for us inside.

We should have a really solid lineup with Lou King coming back soon enough which will push White's minutes to the 4 as well at times. Wooten did warmup to start the 2nd half with a knee brace with ice on his left knee. Didn't play with it on but was something that caught my eye. Wooten has to improve his jump shot though so its possible he comes back but I think Bol is a lock to go because he's too intriguing for a team not to draft. We'll find out if King has the skills to go early.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

As long as he doesn't transfer, it might be best for him and the team. I like his game, so hopefully we'll see him play his career in green/yellow.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I think with all the frontcourt guys that Oregon has, it may be wise to have to him redshirt.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

greenyellow wrote:I think with all the frontcourt guys that Oregon has, it may be wise to have to him redshirt.
He was pretty highly rated. So high that he may/might of thought he could be a 1 or 2 and done. Might that be the case, why would he even considering needing a redshirt year? Purely hypothetical, just a question.