Kigab Injury?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

northbeachsf
Freshman

Kigab Injury?

Post by northbeachsf »

Did Kigab get injured too?? He didn’t play in the second half and rumors flying that he hurt his foot as well?
What is up with Oregon and the dreaded foot injury??
Seems like we have at least one every year.
maxduck
Senior

Re: Kigab Injury?

Post by maxduck »

I've wondered the same thing about the rash of lower leg and foot injuries. My admittedly poor memory doesn't recall that problem before they moved onto Matt Court, perhaps the floor is a bit to stiff. I know Mac Court was rather springy.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Reporters were saying he had his foot heavily wrapped and iced so I suspect he rolled his ankle, likely by coming down on someone's foot or making a cut. Depending on the severity, his status for the next game is is doubt.
fan
One Star Recruit

Post by fan »

Good news (sarcastic) is it doesn't seem like Coach Altman could care less either way. Take a look at the video and see how it might make you feel if you were the player or family member. I know there is not a lot of time from end of game to press conference but you can bet he would have inquired if it were King again.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

fan wrote:Good news (sarcastic) is it doesn't seem like Coach Altman could care less either way. Take a look at the video and see how it might make you feel if you were the player or family member. I know there is not a lot of time from end of game to press conference but you can bet he would have inquired if it were King again.
Wow. Where did this come from? If the reporters don’t ask about injuries, I doubt Altman is going to volunteer the information. Implying that he doesn’t care about Kigab is pretty reckless

Kigab is a very important part of this team, as he does all the little things.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

fan has 4 posts so far... Not much to go on.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

fan
One Star Recruit

Post by fan »

northbeachsf wrote:
fan wrote:Good news (sarcastic) is it doesn't seem like Coach Altman could care less either way. Take a look at the video and see how it might make you feel if you were the player or family member. I know there is not a lot of time from end of game to press conference but you can bet he would have inquired if it were King again.
Wow. Where did this come from? If the reporters don’t ask about injuries, I doubt Altman is going to volunteer the information. Implying that he doesn’t care about Kigab is pretty reckless

As I stated on another post I don't mean to imply he doesn't care about Abu or his other players but rather I felt his response was indicative of how he sees the kid in terms of his importance to the team. I still believe he would have made an attempt to find out if it were someone he felt was more crucial to the team success.

Not asking you to agree just stating an opinion but I see it could be considered more of an attack on the coach than intended and I regret that.
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

fan wrote:
northbeachsf wrote:

As I stated on another post I don't mean to imply he doesn't care about Abu or his other players but rather I felt his response was indicative of how he sees the kid in terms of his importance to the team. I still believe he would have made an attempt to find out if it were someone he felt was more crucial to the team success.

Not asking you to agree just stating an opinion but I see it could be considered more of an attack on the coach than intended and I regret that.
I can see where you're coming from, but I would disagree on whether he would find out about someone else. If you watch Dana during the game, he doesn't talk to the players, he lets his assistants do it. He doesn't high five as they come of the court, it just seems to be his style. It used to rub me the wrong way as well, but as we've seen over the last few years, his players seem to like him so there must be plenty behind the scenes we don't see.
fan
One Star Recruit

Post by fan »

pudgejeff wrote:
fan wrote:
northbeachsf wrote:

I can see where you're coming from, but I would disagree on whether he would find out about someone else. If you watch Dana during the game, he doesn't talk to the players, he lets his assistants do it. He doesn't high five as they come of the court, it just seems to be his style. It used to rub me the wrong way as well, but as we've seen over the last few years, his players seem to like him so there must be plenty behind the scenes we don't see.
That's a valid point...still didn't like response. Kid has been starting yes but minutes down even with Bol injury and I think he brings something that is often missing.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

He injured his foot/ankle in the first half so his minutes would obviously be down this game. Plus, with Louis King starting to get increased minutes, Kigab's minutes would of course get cut even more. There's only so many minutes for Altman to spread around at the 3/4 spots.
fan
One Star Recruit

Post by fan »

greenyellow wrote:He injured his foot/ankle in the first half so his minutes would obviously be down this game. Plus, with Louis King starting to get increased minutes, Kigab's minutes would of course get cut even more. There's only so many minutes for Altman to spread around at the 3/4 spots.
Understood. I just don't see how Amin and White seem to be sucking up a majority of those minutes and mostly being unproductive with minor flashes which I believe any player at that level would have if allowed those minutes. You could argue Richardson was not great last night but his minutes are not reflected in his performance. It seems with Kigab and to an extent Bailey their minutes are set regardless of performance level and the stretch of time they play is often short which I believe is the greatest factor in whether they will actually be able to put up some numbers.

The three guard Pritchard, Richardson, Amin lineup makes no sense in my opinion. I would definitely prefer either Bailey and Kigab with Pritchard and Richardson or one of them with either of the point guards as well.

I feel there is wasted potential in Bailey and Kigab that was squandered last year by average grad transfers and history is repeating itself with this group.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

fan wrote:
greenyellow wrote:He injured his foot/ankle in the first half so his minutes would obviously be down this game. Plus, with Louis King starting to get increased minutes, Kigab's minutes would of course get cut even more. There's only so many minutes for Altman to spread around at the 3/4 spots.
Understood. I just don't see how Amin and White seem to be sucking up a majority of those minutes and mostly being unproductive with minor flashes which I believe any player at that level would have if allowed those minutes. You could argue Richardson was not great last night but his minutes are not reflected in his performance. It seems with Kigab and to an extent Bailey their minutes are set regardless of performance level and the stretch of time they play is often short which I believe is the greatest factor in whether they will actually be able to put up some numbers.

The three guard Pritchard, Richardson, Amin lineup makes no sense in my opinion. I would definitely prefer either Bailey and Kigab with Pritchard and Richardson or one of them with either of the point guards as well.

I feel there is wasted potential in Bailey and Kigab that was squandered last year by average grad transfers and history is repeating itself with this group.
Okay. I see where you are going with this now and I understand some of your points. I have a few thoughts / observations:

1) I think Altman is very well liked by his players. We consistently see graduates back on campus every year supporting the program. Ex-players are also quick to give him credit for their development. I don’t remember seeing this with EK.
2) 100% agree with you about Bailey. He deserves more minutes, maybe even a starting spot while Bol is out.
3) Kigab is an outstanding defender and rebounder, but his offense still needs a lot of work. He might be struggling to get minutes solely because this team has lots of good defenders and not a lot of good offensive players.
4) In order to win in March, you must have great guard play, so I do believe it is extremely important to develop Richardson right now.
5) I only see 4 players that can take someone off the dribble in the half court and make a shot - Bol, Pritchard, Richardson, and King. Those 4 guys are going to get minutes because they can score and are on a team where points in the half court are hard to come by. Bailey has the potential to get there.
6) Amin is great on defense, but his offense is pretty rough at times. He is no longer a starter and his minutes are dwindling.
7) White had some pretty awful stuff happen to him and his family. We have seen him play well before. I think he just needs to work through it. He looked a lot better last game.

If it was me, I would start
Pritchard
Richardson
King
Bol
Wooten
And Bailey would be first off the bench and starting while Bol is out.