WBB #4 Mississippi St. @ #7 Oregon Tue. 7:00 (ESPN2)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Merganzer
Senior

WBB #4 Mississippi St. @ #7 Oregon Tue. 7:00 (ESPN2)

Post by Merganzer »

Mississippi State 10-0
Oregon 8-1

Another tough physical team for the Ducks to deal with.
greenyellow

Re: WBB #4 Mississippi St. @ #7 Oregon Tue. 7:00 (ESPN2)

Post by greenyellow »

GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Man, I thought the men's refs were bad. :lol:

Miss State coach yells at the refs all half, gets warnings.

Official blows a call altogether, instant T on Graves for arguing, LOL.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

Quite a first half! Opposing coaches even on technical fouls. Looks like it could go down to the wire.

I really like what I see with the freshman Chavez. Seems pretty fearless and poised for a frosh.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

GrantDuck wrote:Man, I thought the men's refs were bad. :lol:

Miss State coach yells at the refs all half, gets warnings.

Official blows a call altogether, instant T on Graves for arguing, LOL.
I'm here at the game. Did the replay of that last call pretty definitively show that no foul should have been called?
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

Good to see a nice crowd there tonight. Been a fun game so far. Ducks up 8 with about 8 mins to go. MSU lost a starter to fouls, but Duck bench only has 3 available themselves. People been talking about poor Duck D, but they have looked pretty solid tonight.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

From what I've seen tonight they've done a great job of packing the paint defensively in their 3-2/Triangle and 2 Zone knowing they can't do it 1v1 inside.

How does the team only have 3 bench players? Seems to me there has to be a few capable walk-ons on campus that could provide emergency minutes (and help out in practice).
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Good win!

Thought the key was the freshman coming in and playing big minutes and cazorla.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

GrantDuck wrote:Good win!

Thought the key was the freshman coming in and playing big minutes and cazorla.
I thought they did a good job of staying composed when they game was so close and tight. They did a good job of drawing fouls and MSU didn't respond well in the 2nd half but the Ducks also can't expect to get every call some nights too. Will also help them for seeding purposes later on.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Smart game by Ionescu in knowing she wasn't having the best shooting game and instead driving it, which got MSU in some foul trouble. Also, Sabally showed some grit in playing with a jammed or broken finger.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

Great win. Ruthy battled her tail off the entire game. Maite and Sabrina are great. Sabally continues to disappoint (apparently she was dealing with an injury?)....hopefully that turns around as the season progresses. The positive contributions from Chavez were a bit of a surprise.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

Even though I already lauded Chavez's play above, there's even more reason after the second half. She is like another starter out there; and Graves just stayed with her and stayed with her and stayed with her.

And speaking of starters, what happened to Sabally? Did she even play in the second half?

Edit: I wasn't aware Sabally hurt her finger. One disadvantage of being at the the game rather than watching it on tv is not getting info like that.
Last edited by Greenblood on Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

The biggest problem the Ducks had was getting the inbound pass in, 4 interceptions, 3 were converted in to baskets by the Bulldogs. It may be that they don't feature the center on offense, but the Ducks did a great job on her, 5 or 6 shots attempted all night. The commentators said she usually is only good for 27 minutes a game, so that explains a bit why she sat out the last minutes of the game.
One of my favorite plays is Cazorla taking to the basket, and she did it 6 times tonight, Chavez is fearless, and it was great to see Ruthy having a big imprint in a tough game, sometimes her game hasn't shown up...of course she was the only Duck to miss a free throw. And of course, Sabrina Ionescu.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

Merganzer wrote:The biggest problem the Ducks had was getting the inbound pass in, 4 interceptions, 3 were converted in to baskets by the Bulldogs. It may be that they don't feature the center on offense, but the Ducks did a great job on her, 5 or 6 shots attempted all night. The commentators said she usually is only good for 27 minutes a game, so that explains a bit why she sat out the last minutes of the game.
One of my favorite plays is Cazorla taking to the basket, and she did it 6 times tonight, Chavez is fearless, and it was great to see Ruthy having a big imprint in a tough game, sometimes her game hasn't shown up...of course she was the only Duck to miss a free throw. And of course, Sabrina Ionescu.
Yeah, the inbound passes were an adventure. Gotta think Graves will work to clean that up.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

Ionescu 17-17 from the line. They were like lay-ins for her.