Pace

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Pace

Post by Tray Dub »

I was thinking about how slow we look on offense, so I went hunting for some advanced stats. Here's what I found: We rank 310th out of 353 NCAA D-1 teams in adjusted tempo. We're also last in the Pac 12. Adjusted tempo basically measures how many possessions you'd get against an average-paced opponent. That number basically means our offense is very, very slow.

That matches what I see watch us play: a bunch of ineffective passes without moving to the basket. A slow pace isn't necessarily a problem (though being 310th is pretty extreme in the best of cases) if you're actually doing something with all that time you're taking in the half-court and run a real offense, but we aren't doing that. We run extremely basic plays and mostly just make little rotations. Our offense is moving way too slow because our offensive schemes are not doing anything to create good shots.

Anyone have any theories as to why Altman has this team moving so slowly? I'm pretty sure it has something to do with how young the team is, like maybe a combination of not having been coached up for long by our coaches and having only played with their teammates for a couple months. Still, I'm surprised Altman doesn't tell his guys to push the pace a bit (and no pun intended).
greenyellow

Re: Pace

Post by greenyellow »

I don't think it helps that they've dealt with so many injuries this year, meaning what you'd think would be Altman's strongest/preferred rotations just haven't been available to practice or play together for long stretches. We've yet to see full-strength versions of Bol, Richardson, and King together on the floor yet. Altman also needs to find a way to get a SG who can actually create their own shot as the past couple seasons have shown that to be a major deficiency when compared to some of his earlier teams, such as Devoe Joseph, Joseph Young, and Tyler Dorsey.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I think Altman has been a little stubborn running his weave offense combined with low post iso, which I’m not a fan of cause Bol isn’t always the best at the low post and Wooten and Okoro are too raw to be effective at it. Plus Richardson is the only guy that can get to the hoop off of the weave so you stop him you stop the weave. Plus Baylor is running a 3-2 zone pushing the Oregon perimeter plays way too far outside. I think Oregon’s offense is too simple and opposing coaches have figured it out, but also the players deserve blame for photographing every pass and moving at a snail’s pace. That Final Four team ran the weave so fast they were able to find opportunities to do something. So the players need to pay with some darn energy and passion.

It also looks like this team is having 0 fun with the offense Altman is trying to run. Either one or two things is happening, these guys lack confidence and are too nervous, or Altman is restricting their freedom too much. But both players and Altman deserve blame for the awful snail offense we’ve been seeing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Three glaring issues aside from talent issue:

-The pace (as tray dub mentioned). We are getting so phew fastbreak points and we just don't really play uptempo anymore.
-Drive and dish. It's rare to see one of our guys drive into the key only to dump it off to a big for the dunk or score. We have very few assists from the key out. We are settling a lot for outside shots or just driving it in individually. Not much team basketball.
-We do little high-post offense. I know with Bol out, this changes things. But even with Paul White playing it a bit in this game and the game before, we got him very few touches. This helps us expose the middle a bit more, and give us a chance to run the baseline for easy dunks/layups.

Overall, it's just not the same team we got used to watching with Brooks/Bell/Boucher/Dorsey and company. I'd love to see a stat on dunks with that squad vs this. I think the stat would be as alarming as the pace stat.

You can definitely attribute some of it to a young team and a lack of overall talent, and maybe that is what it mostly is. But I feel like we stopped doing some of the things were are good at too.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:I think Altman has been a little stubborn running his weave offense combined with low post iso, which I’m not a fan of cause Bol isn’t always the best at the low post and Wooten and Okoro are too raw to be effective at it. Plus Richardson is the only guy that can get to the hoop off of the weave so you stop him you stop the weave. Plus Baylor is running a 3-2 zone pushing the Oregon perimeter plays way too far outside. I think Oregon’s offense is too simple and opposing coaches have figured it out, but also the players deserve blame for photographing every pass and moving at a snail’s pace. That Final Four team ran the weave so fast they were able to find opportunities to do something. So the players need to pay with some darn energy and passion.

It also looks like this team is having 0 fun with the offense Altman is trying to run. Either one or two things is happening, these guys lack confidence and are too nervous, or Altman is restricting their freedom too much. But both players and Altman deserve blame for the awful snail offense we’ve been seeing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ya at some point we gotta put some blame on DA for our boring offense. I think he might not want to overload the team especially since we are young, but our lack of creativity seems to only add to our offensive woes at this point. Might as well trying to be more aggressive and trying new things.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13