UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: Bol Bol most likely out for season

Post by UOducksTK1 »

oregontrack wrote:
nogerO wrote:
Duck07 wrote:Stay in college Bol, you're going to get eaten up in the NBA.
Agreed.
wut

what can he learn by staying one more year in eugene that he couldn't learn at the professional level? dude is a top ten pick right now, he'd be insane to come back. a lot of players 'get eaten' at the pro level, but he's 7'2 and can shoot 3's. he IS the modern nba.

unless you're both being clever and ironic and i'm being dumb and taking you literally, in which case i'll show myself out.
Bol's offensive game and shot alone is worthy of a first round pick. Add his height, length, and defensive / rebounding potential makes him easily a lottery pick.

People are underestimating Bol a lot. I think he'll do fine in the NBA. Porzingis Jr.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

oregontrack wrote:
nogerO wrote:
Agreed.
wut

what can he learn by staying one more year in eugene that he couldn't learn at the professional level? dude is a top ten pick right now, he'd be insane to come back. a lot of players 'get eaten' at the pro level, but he's 7'2 and can shoot 3's. he IS the modern nba.

unless you're both being clever and ironic and i'm being dumb and taking you literally, in which case i'll show myself out.
No, I really don't see a future for Bol in the NBA because he's far too slow and he has an awkward frame. I think players will just be physical with him and he will end up just sticking in the corner to shoot the ball and not do much else.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Also, even though this is a bummer for this season. He's a fun player to watch, and we only got 9 games with him. But this season was already a little bit in shambles considering how we didn't play great in non-conference, and our senior leadership is nearly non-existent.

This will help set us up more for next season. Norris and Okoro are gonna get a lot of minutes now that Wooten/Bol/Kigab are not around.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

StevensTechU wrote:
GrantDuck wrote: I'd argue Tyler Dorsey had more of a shot to be a one and done at the time of recruitment and he led Oregon to the final 4.
That's very generous phrasing for Dorsey. He was probably the 3rd best player on that team, perhaps 4th.
I agree, but on the other hand, he was the hot shooter that took over a few of those games and got them into a final four. I don't think they would have got there without him.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

Duck07 wrote:
oregontrack wrote:
nogerO wrote:
Agreed.
wut

No, I really don't see a future for Bol in the NBA because he's far too slow and he has an awkward frame. I think players will just be physical with him and he will end up just sticking in the corner to shoot the ball and not do much else.
it still behooves him to leave this year under this scenario. even if he eventually falls into the anthony bennett well of obscurity, he's a top 10 pick in june and he'll get that initial contract.
ImageImageImageImageImage
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

A couple of things:

1. Dorsey led the team in scoring and was the most consistent player in the 2017 NCAA tournament for Oregon. He was probably the 3rd best player on the team in the regular season..."led" is open to interpretation I suppose...but there's no doubt he was a leader in that tournament run, at least to me. (wikipedia agrees with me :lol: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyler_Dor ... omore_year ) I believe Altman himself mentioned multiple times they didn't see Troy Brown as a one and done kid when he was a sophomore/junior.

2. Bol is an immense talent that because he's non-traditional, people think he's not incredible. Look at the #'s he put up for us. Ridiculous college #'s..at 18 years old. The comment that he's "slow" is absolutely laughable. He moves extremely well vertically, and when he's engaged, pretty decent laterally. I do understand the critiques of strength, etc. early in his career, he's going to struggle with that and aspects of defense. The biggest determination with Bol long term, as with many big guys, is going to be health. His frame is kind of awkward and he has an injury history back to back seasons now.

If he stays healthy, he will be a high level player in the NBA on offense for a long time and eventually an above average defender.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Confirmation from Bol that his season is over:
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

greenyellow wrote:Confirmation from Bol that his season is over:
And, apparently, that his Oregon career is indeed over.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Makes sense that he'd announce he was done now since he's not going to be full-go for awhile. If he's not going to be with the team at all and with Kigab gone, the bench is going to look might empty. Even with the 2 walk-ons on the roster, they barely have enough players to go 5-on-5 in practice. Wouldn't be surprised if they have more walk-on tryouts once winter term starts up just to get some warm bodies for practice.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

GrantDuck wrote:The comment that he's "slow" is absolutely laughable.
Have you seen his release? I like the kid, I know I'm the only one being harsh about his game but I think he'd struggle against any athletic 4 who got physical with him next level and just because he's had a few dribble drives against our paltry schedule does not make me at all think he's got Kristaps type slashing ability. Oregontrack's point about being a lotto pick is true though, I just see him as a really fun college player who doesn't have the body to play in today's NBA even though his game all about the modern league.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Duck07 wrote:
Have you seen his release? I like the kid, I know I'm the only one being harsh about his game but I think he'd struggle against any athletic 4 who got physical with him next level and just because he's had a few dribble drives against our paltry schedule does not make me at all think he's got Kristaps type slashing ability. Oregontrack's point about being a lotto pick is true though, I just see him as a really fun college player who doesn't have the body to play in today's NBA even though his game all about the modern league.

What about his release? It's a bit on the low side? Syracuse had a bunch of athletic bigs and he torched them. From practice reports, didn't seem like Kenny Wooten(an athletic 4) was shutting him down.

I can understand the rest of what you're saying and your take that he's not going to be a good NBA player. He'll absolutely struggle with physical players his first few years in the league...but "slow" is just entirely wrong. Dude is very agile, especially for a guy his size.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

GrantDuck wrote:
Duck07 wrote:

What about his release? It's a bit on the low side? Syracuse had a bunch of athletic bigs and he torched them. From practice reports, didn't seem like Kenny Wooten(an athletic 4) was shutting him down.

I can understand the rest of what you're saying and your take that he's not going to be a good NBA player. He'll absolutely struggle with physical players his first few years in the league...but "slow" is just entirely wrong. Dude is very agile, especially for a guy his size.
I remember multiple instances off the top of my head of his jumper being blocked by players much smaller than him. I do agree that his release point is low, and a little slow. That, coupled with his body type, does give me hesitancy about his NBA career. Not saying definitively that he won't succeed, as he's different than just about any player that's ever played in the NBA, but they are certainly negatives. In the post, he's seemingly had a higher release point, but on the perimeter it's much more dicey. My concern is that he can live in the post in college due to the height advantage, but he'll struggle against the physical bigs in the NBA.

Stating he's had success with it in college is a bit misleading. Lonzo Ball was also getting away with his awful shot form in college, but it was a stated concern going into the NBA, and he has predictably struggled with his shot there.
Hoagduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Hoagduck »

I don't blame the kid at all. Go get paid, buddy.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

droop10 wrote:
GrantDuck wrote:
Duck07 wrote:

I remember multiple instances off the top of my head of his jumper being blocked by players much smaller than him. I do agree that his release point is low, and a little slow. That, coupled with his body type, does give me hesitancy about his NBA career. Not saying definitively that he won't succeed, as he's different than just about any player that's ever played in the NBA, but they are certainly negatives. In the post, he's seemingly had a higher release point, but on the perimeter it's much more dicey. My concern is that he can live in the post in college due to the height advantage, but he'll struggle against the physical bigs in the NBA.

Stating he's had success with it in college is a bit misleading. Lonzo Ball was also getting away with his awful shot form in college, but it was a stated concern going into the NBA, and he has predictably struggled with his shot there.
All of this is fair. I agree about the concerns, just took issue with calling him "slow".

As far as "in the post", most of his best work in college to my recollection was from the high post or wing, or in transition, not the low post.