OregonFan4Life
All-American

Bol Bol most likely out for season

Post by OregonFan4Life »

EncinitasDuck
Five Star Recruit

Re: Bol Bol most likely out for season

Post by EncinitasDuck »

So based on his 9 games (may be more) where do we rank him among the Oregon greats? Just having fun...
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

This season has just been the worst when it comes to injuries. Really didn't help that Altman thought he could get by with 2 fewer scholarship players than allowed and basically a whole new team. Think that Altman may need to rethink his recruiting approach of one-and-dones since it's obviously not working out.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Sad Sad. Was such a joy to watch him play. I hope he can recover and have a great NBA career. One and dones are tough as a fan y'all!

We need to have some better injury karma around UO.

If there's any silver lining, this will be a development year for Norris/Okoro and hopefully they can become long term options at Oregon.
Hoagduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Hoagduck »

He's gonna go pro and be our Kyrie Irving.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

greenyellow wrote:This season has just been the worst when it comes to injuries. Really didn't help that Altman thought he could get by with 2 fewer scholarship players than allowed and basically a whole new team. Think that Altman may need to rethink his recruiting approach of one-and-dones since it's obviously not working out.
I couldn't disagree more about the one-and-dones. We've had 1 one-and-done before this season. Troy Brown, who Altman and staff didn't think was going to be a one-and-done and then he grew in height and blew up his senior year of HS. He played OK for Oregon.

I'd argue Tyler Dorsey had more of a shot to be a one and done at the time of recruitment and he led Oregon to the final 4.

This year we have 1, possibly 2 1 and done guys. Bol was a terrific player and with a full season of him, we would have been a tournament team as a healthy group. So you'd rather NOT have one and done guys and no Bol?!? That's nonsense.

Guys like Kigab/Bailey/White, etc were supposed to be the core of the team this season and they are all kind of just role players. We had some terrific transfer players early on, but last year that didn't work out well. The issue hasn't been one and dones, it's been lack of development of the core players and not doing as well in the transfer market; and this year, added horrible injury luck.
Last edited by GrantDuck on Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

And least we got to see him play some games. Dude was special in his short time here!

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

They really need to get rid of the one and done rule, have it be where everyone can either go pro out of high school or to college for a minimum of 3 years. This one and done just messes up college basketball especially with injuries like this.

In regards to Altman's recruiting style, you never say no to a Bol Bol, but I do understand that sometimes it's harder to succeed with 5 star one and dones rather than 4 star 3 year guys like Brooks and Bell. I think what Altman needs to consider is how he distributes minutes, as I saw someone say in the Kigab thread some guys like White and Elijah Brown get too many minutes just cause they're older and young talented guys get less minutes/trust because of that. I think he needs to learn that he has to trust young guys and adjust to them rather than asking guys to adjust to him, cause with one and dones, there isn't enough time for them to adjust. I think a good example of that is Pritchard being the primary ball handler/PG the last two years. No knock on Pritchard but he should've been the SG last year with Troy Brown handling the ball mostly and again SG this year with Will Richardson being PG and facilitating the offense.

However this season is no knock on Altman, he's had bad luck. Just some things I think he could do better as a coach of a program that now can land top recruits unlike they used to be able to. He certainly needs to adapt with the rise and popularity of the program.

Gosh this sucks, I was so excited to see Bol tear up the Pac-12.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Stay in college Bol, you're going to get eaten up in the NBA.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:They really need to get rid of the one and done rule, have it be where everyone can either go pro out of high school or to college for a minimum of 3 years. This one and done just messes up college basketball especially with injuries like this.

In regards to Altman's recruiting style, you never say no to a Bol Bol, but I do understand that sometimes it's harder to succeed with 5 star one and dones rather than 4 star 3 year guys like Brooks and Bell. I think what Altman needs to consider is how he distributes minutes, as I saw someone say in the Kigab thread some guys like White and Elijah Brown get too many minutes just cause they're older and young talented guys get less minutes/trust because of that. I think he needs to learn that he has to trust young guys and adjust to them rather than asking guys to adjust to him, cause with one and dones, there isn't enough time for them to adjust. I think a good example of that is Pritchard being the primary ball handler/PG the last two years. No knock on Pritchard but he should've been the SG last year with Troy Brown handling the ball mostly and again SG this year with Will Richardson being PG and facilitating the offense.

However this season is no knock on Altman, he's had bad luck. Just some things I think he could do better as a coach of a program that now can land top recruits unlike they used to be able to. He certainly needs to adapt with the rise and popularity of the program.

Gosh this sucks, I was so excited to see Bol tear up the Pac-12.
Yeah Altman's biggest weakness is how to distribute minutes and who to have on the court at the right times. He yanks guys when he shouldn't, and some of his rotations this year have been poor.

Someone mentioned that maybe we play better now that we have so few players, and honestly there might be truth to that because there is less need to distribute minutes and try to find rotations among a lot of players. We will see. But losing Bol is gonna hurt, dude was so dynamic.

nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Duck07 wrote:Stay in college Bol, you're going to get eaten up in the NBA.
Agreed.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

I had such high hopes for this season. Dang.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

GrantDuck wrote: I'd argue Tyler Dorsey had more of a shot to be a one and done at the time of recruitment and he led Oregon to the final 4.
That's very generous phrasing for Dorsey. He was probably the 3rd best player on that team, perhaps 4th.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

StevensTechU wrote:
GrantDuck wrote: I'd argue Tyler Dorsey had more of a shot to be a one and done at the time of recruitment and he led Oregon to the final 4.
That's very generous phrasing for Dorsey. He was probably the 3rd best player on that team, perhaps 4th.
He said during the time of recruitment. Dorsey was the highest ranked recruit on that roster.

oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

nogerO wrote:
Duck07 wrote:Stay in college Bol, you're going to get eaten up in the NBA.
Agreed.
wut

what can he learn by staying one more year in eugene that he couldn't learn at the professional level? dude is a top ten pick right now, he'd be insane to come back. a lot of players 'get eaten' at the pro level, but he's 7'2 and can shoot 3's. he IS the modern nba.

unless you're both being clever and ironic and i'm being dumb and taking you literally, in which case i'll show myself out.
ImageImageImageImageImage