Altman and his one and done players

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Alan
Senior

Altman and his one and done players

Post by Alan »

I been reading another thread on the well oiled team that is the WBB team and figured the conversation could use its own thread. The past two season Altman has brought in several one and done players, here's what I have seen since the final four team. Very awkward, slow starts the last two years, no team unity or chemistry, a few players playing selfish...... my opinion is Altman cannot coach the one and done players, at this point. Some coaches are having success with one and done players but Altman does not have a handle on how to coach them to play as a team. At this point I don't like the one and dones and I don't like the rule, I would rather see Altman go back to recruiting players who will stick and develop chemistry with the team. I would rather watch players develop through their years and be pleasantly surprised by the teams success rather than have a highly rated one and done class projected to win the conference and get..... well this team, a disappointment.
RebelDuck
Three Star Recruit

Re: Altman and his one and done players

Post by RebelDuck »

This is what Jay Wright has done at Villanova. Try to stay away from “one and done” players and recruit high-end players who will stay for 3 years to build the team chemistry and learn the system. 2 championships in 3 years. Good philosophy!
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I get what you’re saying, but you never say no to a Bol Bol or Cole Anthony, besides, there’s only been two true one and done’s the last two years in Troy Brown and Bol. Where Altman has missed is finding a true PG. Pritchard is not a PG and the kid has really been struggling cause he’s forced to play a position he’s not comfortable with. That to me is the real problem, not one and done’s. Besides, if Bol was still healthy the team would be a lot better behind his skill set and talent and we wouldn’t think so much of one and done’s. It’s not like we’re Kentucky or Duke now with 3 one and done’s a year.

Now if you also mean one and done grad transfers, sure, Elijah Brown was a disaster last year and one of the worst ducks in recent history. He never should’ve been on the court but Altman needed shooters. But I’m guessing you mean Freshman one and done’s.

But I really don’t think one and done’s are the issue, the biggest issue is a lack of a true PG and lack of quality wing talent. Pritchard is in a major rut, Bailey is wildly inconsistent, Amin hustles but lacks college level skills on offense, Richardson has potential but plays too darn scared most of the time, and King is still figuring things out and shows signs of brilliance sometimes. In today’s game, you need solid wing players consistently and the ducks are severely lacking that. King and Richardson are the only wing players with the potential to take over a college game like Curry or Durant would in an NBA game but despite having the potential, they’re nowhere close. I imagine both of them will return for their Sophomore years.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Ridiculous argument. Bol Bol and King have been our best players. The reason we're struggling has more to do with our veteran players underperforming.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

RebelDuck wrote:This is what Jay Wright has done at Villanova. Try to stay away from “one and done” players and recruit high-end players who will stay for 3 years to build the team chemistry and learn the system. 2 championships in 3 years. Good philosophy!
Yeah I also don't think one and dones are the problem. If you think about it, we've really missed on recruiting good high quality 4-star recruits. MJ Cage, Abu Kigab,Keith Smith, that's already 3 guys just in the last two seasons. Also after out 2016 season, we lost literally our top 7 players.

That's a really tough spot to be in, to leave 3 rotational guys who were pretty highly recruited, and then 7 guys after one year to transfers or NBA. If we were 100% healthy right now, we'd be the 2nd best team in the Pac-12, easily. I still point to how we lost 4 pac-12 games after leading with just a minute left. We are a player away from having 4 more wins (aka Bol Bol).

High turnover and a few rotational guys not working out is far more to blame than a couple one and dones.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:I get what you’re saying, but you never say no to a Bol Bol or Cole Anthony, besides, there’s only been two true one and done’s the last two years in Troy Brown and Bol. Where Altman has missed is finding a true PG. Pritchard is not a PG and the kid has really been struggling cause he’s forced to play a position he’s not comfortable with. That to me is the real problem, not one and done’s. Besides, if Bol was still healthy the team would be a lot better behind his skill set and talent and we wouldn’t think so much of one and done’s. It’s not like we’re Kentucky or Duke now with 3 one and done’s a year.

Now if you also mean one and done grad transfers, sure, Elijah Brown was a disaster last year and one of the worst ducks in recent history. He never should’ve been on the court but Altman needed shooters. But I’m guessing you mean Freshman one and done’s.

But I really don’t think one and done’s are the issue, the biggest issue is a lack of a true PG and lack of quality wing talent. Pritchard is in a major rut, Bailey is wildly inconsistent, Amin hustles but lacks college level skills on offense, Richardson has potential but plays too darn scared most of the time, and King is still figuring things out and shows signs of brilliance sometimes. In today’s game, you need solid wing players consistently and the ducks are severely lacking that. King and Richardson are the only wing players with the potential to take over a college game like Curry or Durant would in an NBA game but despite having the potential, they’re nowhere close. I imagine both of them will return for their Sophomore years.
PG play is so essential, especially on a team that is lacking playmakers. Frankly I think Richardson will be the guy and will do a great job in the next couple years.

I miss the days we would drive a dish, throw up alley-oops, etc. Our offense is extremely boring and not very productive because of two main reasons.
1. We don't penetrate into the key like we used to, this opens up a quick drop to a big man for a dunk, or an open look at 3.
2. We don't have consistent PG play helping create for other teammates.

That's why we could really use someone like Bol Bol, who doesn't need a good PG or other to create for him, since he can just iso and shoot over people or whatever.

lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

What would our team look like if bol was healthy and we had landed rj Barrett? Look at duke! We would be lucky to have top one and done players.
duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Post by duckduckgoose »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:I get what you’re saying, but you never say no to a Bol Bol or Cole Anthony, besides, there’s only been two true one and done’s the last two years in Troy Brown and Bol. Where Altman has missed is finding a true PG. Pritchard is not a PG and the kid has really been struggling cause he’s forced to play a position he’s not comfortable with. That to me is the real problem, not one and done’s. Besides, if Bol was still healthy the team would be a lot better behind his skill set and talent and we wouldn’t think so much of one and done’s. It’s not like we’re Kentucky or Duke now with 3 one and done’s a year.

PG play is so essential, especially on a team that is lacking playmakers. Frankly I think Richardson will be the guy and will do a great job in the next couple years.

I miss the days we would drive a dish, throw up alley-oops, etc. Our offense is extremely boring and not very productive because of two main reasons.
1. We don't penetrate into the key like we used to, this opens up a quick drop to a big man for a dunk, or an open look at 3.

That's why we could really use someone like Bol Bol, who doesn't need a good PG or other to create for him, since he can just iso and shoot over people or whatever.
We can penetrate the key, but our perimeter shooting is suspect and teams crowd the key area daring us to shoot. When the shots fall it makes our whole offense work.
It’s crazy that people don’t think we have a good point guard. Pritchard has great handles and proved he could hand out assists his first two years. If you drive and dish but the shots don’t go in, opponents will clog the key. No one can drive and dish into that, especially a shorter, less athletic guy like Pritchard. Making shots makes every offense look a lot better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

duckduckgoose wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:

We can penetrate the key, but our perimeter shooting is suspect and teams crowd the key area daring us to shoot. When the shots fall it makes our whole offense work.
It’s crazy that people don’t think we have a good point guard. Pritchard has great handles and proved he could hand out assists his first two years. If you drive and dish but the shots don’t go in, opponents will clog the key. No one can drive and dish into that, especially a shorter, less athletic guy like Pritchard. Making shots makes every offense look a lot better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't know about that, Richardson can get to the hoop with ease compared to Pritchard. Pritchard's strength is shooting off the ball. He shot great percentages last year when he wasn't being forced into a PG leader role. He's a good player, just being used in a way that doesn't work to his strengths.

But yeah we aren't hitting shots, and obviously that hurts our ability to penetrate. It's like not having a running game in football, play action is kinda useless. I get it, but still think Richardson is better at PG right now.

GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Duke is going to likely win a title with 3 one and dones mixed with veteran players. They're going to play Virginia today, who doesn't recruit one and dones, but who flames out early in the tournament every year.

One and dones have been our best players this season. 1 or 2 year transfers have gotten us to the tournament multiple times.

The problem has been veteran players and our 3-4 year guys not developing or staying.

It's that simple.
shoparound
Four Star Recruit

Post by shoparound »

Yes, we don't want to turn down talent, but it doesn't mean the OP's points weren't correct.
Even with this godly talent that Bol bol has, we still lose to teams like Texas Southern.

Now with that said what's the rest of team's excuse? They get shown up by players like Tres Tinkle. They look like they don't want to be on the court. They look like they don't even care to even play. Zero care or concern. I still compare them to the 2016 football team, despite what everyone says. That team didn't give a damn who they lost to. And neither does the one on the basketball court this year. The "superstars" get their points and call it a day. I also suspect PP sees that with these guys around him, and makes half efforts on the court.
Softball team making a more impressive showing already that this team.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

shoparound wrote:Yes, we don't want to turn down talent, but it doesn't mean the OP's points weren't correct.
Even with this godly talent that Bol bol has, we still lose to teams like Texas Southern.

Now with that said what's the rest of team's excuse? They get shown up by players like Tres Tinkle. They look like they don't want to be on the court. They look like they don't even care to even play. Zero care or concern. I still compare them to the 2016 football team, despite what everyone says. That team didn't give a damn who they lost to. And neither does the one on the basketball court this year. The "superstars" get their points and call it a day. I also suspect PP sees that with these guys around him, and makes half efforts on the court.
There it is. The classic 'team struggles, so they don't care' take. Are you a body language expert?
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

shoparound wrote:Yes, we don't want to turn down talent, but it doesn't mean the OP's points weren't correct.

It's hard to defend an opinion when the majority see it another way, I agree I see guys on the floor thinking about the NBA next year and not gaining 100%, I'm not saying everyone is not giving 100% just some young guys looking at the $$$ next year. I think Pritchard would be having a different season if he had a more players around him who he had better chemistry with. Chemistry through seasons of playing together, I stand by opinion of the last two seasons of one and dones. It's easy to make excuses about why a team is under preforming, if so and so wasn't hurt or if so and so was this or that, in my eyes Altman isn't getting the best out of his one and dones.
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

Alan wrote:

It's hard to defend an opinion when the majority see it another way, I agree I see guys on the floor thinking about the NBA next year and not gaining 100%, I'm not saying everyone is not giving 100% just some young guys looking at the $$$ next year. I think Pritchard would be having a different season if he had a more players around him who he had better chemistry with. Chemistry through seasons of playing together, I stand by opinion of the last two seasons of one and dones. It's easy to make excuses about why a team is under preforming, if so and so wasn't hurt or if so and so was this or that, in my eyes Altman isn't getting the best out of his one and dones.
There you have it. You mostly match my opinion. I don't understand how someone getting free college does not give their all in school and on the court.
shoparound
Four Star Recruit

Post by shoparound »

Alan wrote:

Yes, I'm on the same boat as you. It's naive that everyone else is assuming that everyone is giving 100% in the team. :roll: and by no extent can imagine how they could not.