Oregon @ Oregon State (Sat 7:30 PM Pac-12 Network)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

GrantDuck
Senior

Re: Oregon @ Oregon State (Sat 7:30 PM Pac-12 Network)

Post by GrantDuck »

I disagree pretty strongly with those saying lack of effort. That's an armchair fan excuse. The kids are trying pretty hard. Last year that was a big issue with Elijiah and Troy Brown both being lazy as hell. The only real "effort" area where we struggle is rebounding(wasn't an issue tonight) and lazy offensive cuts(was an issue tonight).

This year it's more mental focus, lack of talent and skill(our guards just aren't that talented, if we're being entirely honest), and not having ANY sort of cohesive offensive idea.(some on players, some on coach here). The ball doesn't move right. Someone drives and collapses the defense and then has no idea where to look for shooters or cutters, OR PP drives and kicks to an open guy that can't shoot(Amin/Richardson).

That and I can't for the life of me figure out why Payton can't develop a reliable floater or mid range shot in 3 years.
ducksrock
Senior

Post by ducksrock »

PP has talent but doesnt use it. He has fantastic shooting skills that he doesnt utilize. Lets face the fact that he is just not the team leader that we expect out of a 3 year player and frankly, much of the time more of a hindrance than an asset... Just my opinion... But, stats dont lie...
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Let me know when the men’s basketball team is watchable again. If you want to see a very good high IQ basketball team that hustles, watch our women. I’ve watched every game available to me and they’re fantastic and fun. I’d be surprised if the men’s team wins another game.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

nogerO wrote:Let me know when the men’s basketball team is watchable again. If you want to see a very good high IQ basketball team that hustles, watch our women. I’ve watched every game available to me and they’re fantastic and fun. I’d be surprised if the men’s team wins another game.

Riding that take train again, eh? Let's see if it works out as well as the football team losing out and ending 6-7.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

shoparound wrote:
Merganzer wrote:
rockthief wrote:
shoparound wrote:Well I think it's obvious they don't watch the women's team play because they would have learned a thing or two, at most at least how to compete.
Complete embarrassment.
Lackadaisical effort all around. That's on Altman, but would you not thing that a kid on scholarship (free college everything) would apply himself to the fullest and play as hard and as with as much energy as possible? I was only a fair player and I gave it my all. I don't see that from the men on this team.
That's what I'm seeing too. As mentioned in the game thread, running the same plays, not finishing at the basket; even getting to the basket, The lack of effort is matched with the lack of enthusiasm.
I'm thinking back to Altman's first team, nowhere near the amount of talent, but those guys played hard every game, and it was fun following them to the CBI championship. Go back to Dick Harter's first team 0-14 in Pac-8 play, but nothing but effort.
The fools on the court are too worried about how they gonna make it in the NBA to worry about the team score and actually winning.
Even that talentless hack of a transfer trying to showboat with his brick 3s. Their minds on the draft more than the court. Probably had the skills contest on their phones during timeouts.
Is shooting an open 3 ball showboating now? These kids are so flashy these days! Wish they would play like back in the 70s, and pretend there was no 3 point line.

Highly doubt Amin's mind is on the draft, since he has never once, even remotely, been considered an NBA prospect. His 3 point shooting has been awful, and I cringe when he shoots, but nothing about it is showboating. He's taking open 3s, and he was semi-successful shooting the 3 ball prior to his time here. Of all the things to accuse him of, I don't think lack of effort is one of them. He's 110% energy when he's out there. Unfortunately, it doesn't fit your narrative though.
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

I am guessing that Coach does not know what to do with these players. There do not appear to be plays designed to get the ball into the paint or to attach the basket from the left and right baselines. I think it was Amin who made one pretty drive from the left but the ball was taken from him. How about some hustle when in transition. Teams easily set up their D because we ease down the court instead of pounding it and taking it through an open lane. How about working the edges instead of, every damned time, walking down the court and passing the ball several times with no attempt to get it inside or deeper on the edges. It is confounding.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

GrantDuck wrote:I disagree pretty strongly with those saying lack of effort. That's an armchair fan excuse. The kids are trying pretty hard. Last year that was a big issue with Elijiah and Troy Brown both being lazy as hell. The only real "effort" area where we struggle is rebounding(wasn't an issue tonight) and lazy offensive cuts(was an issue tonight).

This year it's more mental focus, lack of talent and skill(our guards just aren't that talented, if we're being entirely honest), and not having ANY sort of cohesive offensive idea.(some on players, some on coach here). The ball doesn't move right. Someone drives and collapses the defense and then has no idea where to look for shooters or cutters, OR PP drives and kicks to an open guy that can't shoot(Amin/Richardson).

That and I can't for the life of me figure out why Payton can't develop a reliable floater or mid range shot in 3 years.
All of that is where I see the lack of effort. Last night, 7 minutes to go, down by 6, the game ended with losing by 15. That indicates to me that the competitiveness left the Ducks. It is very likely that the lack of talent, cohesive offensive ideas, no ball movement, a no cutters; all of that contributes to the team packing it in. As for PP, one reason might be he hasn't been in the gym working on them for hours and hours.
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

Merganzer wrote:
GrantDuck wrote:I disagree pretty strongly with those saying lack of effort. That's an armchair fan excuse. The kids are trying pretty hard. Last year that was a big issue with Elijiah and Troy Brown both being lazy as hell. The only real "effort" area where we struggle is rebounding(wasn't an issue tonight) and lazy offensive cuts(was an issue tonight).

All of that is where I see the lack of effort. Last night, 7 minutes to go, down by 6, the game ended with losing by 15. That indicates to me that the competitiveness left the Ducks. It is very likely that the lack of talent, cohesive offensive ideas, no ball movement, a no cutters; all of that contributes to the team packing it in. As for PP, one reason might be he hasn't been in the gym working on them for hours and hours.
Lexie Bando spent time before and after games shooting threes and practicing ball handling. She did that for many years. We are talking hours and hours.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

Merganzer wrote:

Weird. After last game, Wooten was interviewed and specifically pointed out that Pritchard was always in the gym working to improve his shot and was the hardest working guy on the team. Maybe Wooten decided to lie about that for no apparent reason, but I'm doubtful.

It seems we've just devolved into making stuff up about these kids rather than just realizing the team isn't currently good enough to cover up some of their warts. I could perhaps believe a loss in confidence, but it's tiring to see the made up narrative after every loss that they just don't care or work hard.
shoparound
Four Star Recruit

Post by shoparound »

I'm still saying they lack the effort and intensity for the games. And yes I'll still slam it down guys not giving a damn like the 2016 football team that was also humiliated by oregon state.
And I say this because we have seen the flashes of brilliance that they can and should be beating teams like Oregon State.
justducky0
Senior

Post by justducky0 »

I would love to see context here... Do we know for a fact the PP is not working hard or is that just something you've created in your mind because you dont like how he is playing..

I watch this team play and I see hustle, grit and passion, the offense is just not there but the effort is.

Also I am not sure if some of you know this..but can watch and support BOTH the mens and womens teams equally... you actually dont have to choose one or the other.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

justducky0 wrote:I would love to see context here... Do we know for a fact the PP is not working hard or is that just something you've created in your mind because you dont like how he is playing..

I watch this team play and I see hustle, grit and passion, the offense is just not there but the effort is.

Also I am not sure if some of you know this..but can watch and support BOTH the mens and womens teams equally... you actually dont have to choose one or the other.
Pritchard practicing, team playing hard, doesn't look like this will go anywhere, but I need some clarification on what you mean with the Men's & Women's teams?