Oregon @ Oregon State (Sat 7:30 PM Pac-12 Network)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

rockthief
Senior

Re: Oregon @ Oregon State (Sat 7:30 PM Pac-12 Network)

Post by rockthief »

UofDuck wrote:How many total points have we’ve scored this half?
shoparound
Four Star Recruit

Post by shoparound »

GrantDuck wrote:
shoparound wrote:This team is bad, even when Bol was in the team (see losses and competitive games to bad teams).
Who was it that kept saying we shouldn't give up on them?
With Bol we would have easily been an ncaa tournament team, just because he was that damn good.

But yeah, I've given up after tonight. The progress on offense just isn't coming.

easily? we had 3 losses and multiple close games even with how good he was.
I think they played his stat more than they played the scoreboard in the fall.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

We freakin got swept by the damn Beavers. That hurts.
shoparound
Four Star Recruit

Post by shoparound »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
shoparound wrote:This team is bad, even when Bol was in the team (see losses and competitive games to bad teams).
But why are they so bad? Is it coaching? Whiffing on constant recruits? I don’t feel like they should be this bad and there’s something that’s just missing. I think we’ve seen some poor coaching at times this season personally, but it’s not like Oregon has had crappy recruiting classes so there’s no way they should be this bad, unless of course there’s a coaching issue.
That's a good question. Maybe wrong recruits? They are definitely not as talented on the floor as Oregon St. Would anyone even start in OSU's team?
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
But why are they so bad? Is it coaching? Whiffing on constant recruits? I don’t feel like they should be this bad and there’s something that’s just missing. I think we’ve seen some poor coaching at times this season personally, but it’s not like Oregon has had crappy recruiting classes so there’s no way they should be this bad, unless of course there’s a coaching issue.
It's a combination of things. Injuries, transfers, too many freshman, poor player development, Brown Jr. leaving early, etc.

I think I'd put player development and recruiting at the top of the list. Outside of Pritchard, we don't have a Pac-12 quality guard on our roster.

Bailey is a great athlete who hasn't developed. Amin is a hustle guy, but that's about it. They've done a really poor job of developing Richardson this year.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

shoparound wrote:
GrantDuck wrote:
With Bol we would have easily been an ncaa tournament team, just because he was that damn good.

But yeah, I've given up after tonight. The progress on offense just isn't coming.

King wasn't playing yet and Wooten missed some of those games as well.

So yes, easily. We were top 30 in KenPom with him.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

GrantDuck wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
It's a combination of things. Injuries, transfers, too many freshman, poor player development, Brown Jr. leaving early, etc.

I think I'd put player development and recruiting at the top of the list. Outside of Pritchard, we don't have a Pac-12 quality guard on our roster.

Bailey is a great athlete who hasn't developed. Amin is a hustle guy, but that's about it. They've done a really poor job of developing Richardson this year.
I think you’re spot on. Before the Final Four team our best wings were transfers who already developed. I know Brooks and Dorsey weren’t transfers but they sort of naturally developed. It would seem that Altan’s weak spot is developing guards. We need an assistant coach that can help with that.
shoparound
Four Star Recruit

Post by shoparound »

GrantDuck wrote:
shoparound wrote:
GrantDuck wrote:

King wasn't playing yet and Wooten missed some of those games as well.

So yes, easily. We were top 30 in KenPom with him. We're like in the 90's without him.
Still theoretical since we have seen how this team plays on the court.
You wouldn't believe the team is supposedly more talented than Oregon State
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

I know this team is young but other young teams have won championships so I think ALtman is fading away, going through the motions and hoping a couple of his players magically get "it" and save the day. I see no
"wow" plays, just the same things repeated for the benefit of the other team because the plays are simple to defend. We dont really have true guards, just players who bound the ball up the court and toss it around, the make confounding turnovers. They continue to play like this they will be embarrassed in the NIT.
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

What does this team do in practice?
shoparound
Four Star Recruit

Post by shoparound »

Well I think it's obvious they don't watch the women's team play because they would have learned a thing or two, at most at least how to compete.
Complete embarrassment.
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

shoparound wrote:Well I think it's obvious they don't watch the women's team play because they would have learned a thing or two, at most at least how to compete.
Complete embarrassment.
Lackadaisical effort all around. That's on Altman, but would you not thing that a kid on scholarship (free college everything) would apply himself to the fullest and play as hard and as with as much energy as possible? I was only a fair player and I gave it my all. I don't see that from the men on this team.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

rockthief wrote:
shoparound wrote:Well I think it's obvious they don't watch the women's team play because they would have learned a thing or two, at most at least how to compete.
Complete embarrassment.
Lackadaisical effort all around. That's on Altman, but would you not thing that a kid on scholarship (free college everything) would apply himself to the fullest and play as hard and as with as much energy as possible? I was only a fair player and I gave it my all. I don't see that from the men on this team.
That's what I'm seeing too. As mentioned in the game thread, running the same plays, not finishing at the basket; even getting to the basket, The lack of effort is matched with the lack of enthusiasm.
I'm thinking back to Altman's first team, nowhere near the amount of talent, but those guys played hard every game, and it was fun following them to the CBI championship. Go back to Dick Harter's first team 0-14 in Pac-8 play, but nothing but effort.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Oregon just completely disappears for too long of periods.

Score doesn’t judo justice to how close this game was until sought a little hot. Oh well.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
shoparound
Four Star Recruit

Post by shoparound »

Merganzer wrote:
rockthief wrote:
Complete embarrassment.
That's what I'm seeing too. As mentioned in the game thread, running the same plays, not finishing at the basket; even getting to the basket, The lack of effort is matched with the lack of enthusiasm.
I'm thinking back to Altman's first team, nowhere near the amount of talent, but those guys played hard every game, and it was fun following them to the CBI championship. Go back to Dick Harter's first team 0-14 in Pac-8 play, but nothing but effort.
The fools on the court are too worried about how they gonna make it in the NBA to worry about the team score and actually winning.
Even that talentless hack of a transfer trying to showboat with his brick 3s. Their minds on the draft more than the court. Probably had the skills contest on their phones during timeouts.