WBB: #2 Oregon @ #12 Oregon State (Mon 6 PM ESPN2)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Duck07
All-American

Re: WBB: #2 Oregon @ #12 Oregon State (Mon 6 PM ESPN2)

Post by Duck07 »

greenyellow wrote:OSU has 11 turnovers to Oregon's 1 and the Beavs are only outrebounding Oregon by 6, with Oregon having 3 more offensive rebounds than them. Main thing hurting the Ducks is their poor shooting, hitting at only 39% while OSU is at 52%.
Count me among those who think we're "due" for a nice streak shooting.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Got the lead, 52-50 with 6 minutes left.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Believe Sabrina has hit 4 of Oregon's last 5 shots. Hopefully she still keeps her teammates involved instead of all the one-on-one stuff they tried in the first half.
shoparound
Four Star Recruit

Post by shoparound »

pivec has been hitting these shots with one hand while her face is on the floor. i don't know how
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Just a bad shooting night by Oregon. With how many turnovers the Beavs have, if Oregon shot anywhere to close to how good they normally are, they'd easily be up by 10.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Oregon made it interesting at the end but that turnover likely ends any chance for the win. Seems Gill Coliseum always causes both men's and women's teams to shoot like garbage up there.
shoparound
Four Star Recruit

Post by shoparound »

Unbelievable, but not really.
I have a feeling the result will be different if we face them again at the Pac-12 tournament
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Definitely bad shooting night, the missed layup by Sabrina would have made it 54-50, and who knows? It would have been unreal, but the 3 where she was fouled almost went in, and could have possibly tied it up. But too many could haves.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

I actually thought she should have missed that last FT when we were down 2 rather than going down 1. Oh Well, not that bad of a loss even if it sucks. No Ruthy in the 2nd half which is really the much bigger deal for us. That was probably Sabrina's worst shooting this season and while the games will only get more difficult the further we advance in the tournament, nothing will be like that for us. Thought that Satou needed more touches early in the 4th after being so key in the 3rd.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Honestly, the luckier team won tonight, but the better team lost. I still hope Oregon can get the #1 seed for home court advantage, but literally everything went OSU’s way:

-Beavs making crazy flukey shots they won’t make again this season
-Ducks missing easy shots they normall make
-Ball bouncing OSU’s way every time
-Injury to one of Oregon’s best player

Anything else? You just change one of those and Oregon wins easily. Oregon State had to get lucky to win, I just didn’t realize how lucky they needed to be, and they got that luck on their side. Sometimes it truly is better to be the luckier team than the better team.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Duck07 wrote: Thought that Satou needed more touches early in the 4th after being so key in the 3rd.
Agree exactly on this, I really like Chavez, she comes in and plays hard every minute, but what she really can't do with consistency is hit 3's, and 2 of the first 3 shots in the 4th were deep 3's by Chavez.
shoparound
Four Star Recruit

Post by shoparound »

I also wondered why Satou disappeared in the 4th after a great 3rd.

So we played the worst game of the season and still came down to really one possession.

That missed layup by Ionescu just hurts though. She also missed a 3 right before that I think.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

JV refs again. First poor game for Sabrina for a long time. Poor by her standards. Can’t believe how seemingly every loose ball/wild rebound went to OSewe. Oh well. Can’t win them all. I thought the “the beaver state” giant banner after the game was right up there with the “we own the state” trash in football back when. Fancy trailer park there.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

officiating was fine.

osu can probably defend us better than anyone else in the country (at least until we get to the elite teams). we run so much through ruthy and they're blessed with a 6'8 post and a 6'7 sub. they've got good perimeter defenders that can focus on containing our shooters w/o having to worry about ruthy absolutely destroying them down low. then you take ruthy out of the mix, and obviously they're able to lock down further. rueck has built himself a hell of a program.

loved the fight to get back into the game. hope for the best diagnosis on ruthy's knee, we might need her to beat ASU on the road and clamp down on that #1 seed.
ImageImageImageImageImage
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

Needless to say, the only thing that really matters is the health of Ruthy moving forward. If Ruthy is ok, the result of this game will be an insignificant blip in a long season. If Ruthy isn't ok, any realistic chance the Ducks had of competing for the national championship vanished.

As for the game itself, the Ducks had a couple minute stretch in the early stages of the 4th quarter in which they, in no particular order, missed about 3 wide open 3-pointers, Sabally missed a wide open free throw length shot and Ionescu missed an open layup. That was the Ducks opportunity to open up a lead, put the pressure on the Beavers and provide a little room for error going down the stretch. The Beavers had absolutely nothing to do with the Ducks missing those shots they normally make. I'll give the Beavers credit for clearly outplaying the Ducks in the first half (seemingly more handily than the scoreboard indicated), but despite the injury adversity the Ducks were facing, the Beavers were very fortunate the Ducks missed a lot of open looks.