Ionescu Ducking Draft Questions

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Re: Ionescu Ducking Draft Questions

Post by OregonFan4Life »

StevensTechU wrote:As was stated, endorsement deals are a big thing. As such, I think Ionescu would be wise to continue to build her brand in college for another year. Not joking in the least bit. Candace Parker isn't a household name because of what she did in the WNBA, it's because of what she did at Tennessee. I would advise Sabrina to come back, smash every record, and win a national championship because it will be the most prudent move in the long-run. Getting her degree is a cherry on top.
I don't see another year doing much for her, considering Steph Curry tweeted a pic with her calling her the "The Walking Triple Dub" and Kobe Bryant talks about how he's a big fan of her and she's his daughters' favorite player. Plus didn't LeBron tweet about her? Can it get much better than that for star recognition in women's college basketball? But then again, if Oregon doesn't win the national championship, maybe adding one of those to her lists of accomplishments will help her a lot with endorsements. I guess we'll have to wait and see what Sabrina and the ducks do in the Final Four.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Merganzer wrote:
nogerO wrote:
oregontrack wrote:honestly, i've never paid attention to the early entry rule for the WNBA because you almost never hear about it. if she truly is projected as the #1 overall pick, i would advise her to leave as i would any other student-athlete projected to be a #1 pick.

if she defies my much sought after advise and comes back to school for one more go-round, all the better.
Agree with your selfish thoughts. IF she comes back she might set some more NCAA records that won't be broken for a long time...
She's already got the career triple double 8-)
She might put that record out of reach for a long while to come...
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
duck58
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck58 »

Have to agree with all those who think it depends on winning NC. This is a close group of girls. I think the bond of playing together one more year with Ruthy, Satou, Erin, and the rest might be a factor in her decision. I understand her and Ruthy are especially close.
duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Ionescu Ducking Draft Questions

Post by duckduckgoose »

My thinking is that being a first round pick in the WNBA draft or even the first pick is going to be not nearly as lucrative or as big a draw as being drafted in the first round in the NBA. I would think having your degree from Nike U would be more important in the long run. I would think playing/winning a couple championships with this group would be a great draw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by duckduckgoose on Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DuckNV
One Star Recruit

Post by DuckNV »

duckduckgoose wrote:My thinking is that being a first round pick in the WNBA draft or even the first pick is going to be nearly as lucrative or as big a draw as being drafted in the first round in the NBA. I would think having your degree from Nike U would be more important in the long run. I would think playing/winning a couple championships with this group would be a great draw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No near as lucrative from a salary standpoint. Last year's #1 WNBA pick "raked in" <$55k for her first year salary.
AshlandDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by AshlandDuck »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:As was stated, endorsement deals are a big thing. As such, I think Ionescu would be wise to continue to build her brand in college for another year. Not joking in the least bit. Candace Parker isn't a household name because of what she did in the WNBA, it's because of what she did at Tennessee. I would advise Sabrina to come back, smash every record, and win a national championship because it will be the most prudent move in the long-run. Getting her degree is a cherry on top.
I don't see another year doing much for her, considering Steph Curry tweeted a pic with her calling her the "The Walking Triple Dub" and Kobe Bryant talks about how he's a big fan of her and she's his daughters' favorite player. Plus didn't LeBron tweet about her? Can it get much better than that for star recognition in women's college basketball? But then again, if Oregon doesn't win the national championship, maybe adding one of those to her lists of accomplishments will help her a lot with endorsements. I guess we'll have to wait and see what Sabrina and the ducks do in the Final Four.

I actually made the point first, but the idea is predicated on the total legacy of her career. If she leaves early that legacy diminishes considerably. The point is that a 4-year run of dominance at the college level is likely to carry more weight into the future than any WNBA accomplishment, especially if she ends up just being a good player, rather than an elite player at the next level. I used Pete Maravich as an example because he was one of the greatest college players ever if not the greatest. If he was alive he'd still be doing commercials if he wanted to and all of it would be based on his college exploits, because although he was a good NBA player, everyone remembers him because of his college dominance.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Looks like we'll find out fairly quickly as she has until roughly 6 PM PT to make her decision.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Pure speculation here but I think she returns to finish what she's started. If the fire burning inside her is as hot as I think it is-she has unfinished business. We were so close this year even with the injuries and pretty much horrible bias against this team from the YMCA caliber refs in women's basketball, she will be back to finish it with a championship. I think with the recruits we have coming in, another year of development by the returning players this team can make it back to the FF.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us ... asketball/

We have unfinished business.And I mean that from the bottom of my heart. My teammates and I, our coaches, our fans, this program — we’re not going on a “run,” you know what I mean?? We’re not doing one of those things where, like, a team appears out of the blue, on the backs of a few good players, and then makes some noise for a season or two before heading back underground. Nah. This isn’t that.

We’re building something here in Eugene. We’re building something — together — that’s going to last for a long time after we’ve all graduated. From the upperclassmen, who showed me the way — Oti, Maite and Ruthy (and maybe especially Ruthy, who came in together with me and has gone from my roommate, where we gave each other the silent treatment that first year, to my best friend in the world)….. to our awesome underclassmen, Morgan, Nyara, Taylor, Lydia, Erin, Satou….. to our incoming class of freshmen that we already have committed….. to our amazing coaching staff, led by Coach Graves….. to our UNBELIEVABLE FANS who, honestly – y’all have no idea.
Last edited by nogerO on Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:20 am, edited 6 times in total.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Wouldn't surprise me that if Sabrina does end up staying, she doesn't make any kind of announcement, similar to how she just sort of showed up in Eugene right before summer classes started and that's how Graves knew she was going to be a Duck.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

She’s back.
ImageImageImageImageImage