Victor Bailey Jr. and Altman

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

northbeachsf
Freshman

Victor Bailey Jr. and Altman

Post by northbeachsf »

Anyone else think that the relationship between Bailey and Altman may be strained? This team struggles to score more than 25 points a half on most nights. Bailey looks to be one of two guys right now capable of breaking down defenders and getting to the rim consistently. Why is he always sitting on the bench?

I keep watching interviews with Altman and he is always saying stuff like Bailey doesn't set his feet when he shoots, he runs under screens, he is lost on defense, etc. Okay, but who on this team isn't doing those things besides King??? And when scoring is your weak point, don't you try and get your best offensive weapons on the floor??

Anyone else notice that when reporters ask Bailey if Altman has talked to him about his minutes, he responses with things like Coach didn't tell me, I don't know, that's not my decision, etc. You never hear anything like, we have discussed it and I need to work on.....

If Bailey transfers, I am going to be disappointed.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: Victor Bailey Jr. and Altman

Post by UOducksTK1 »

And to be fair, Richardson has done nothing the last few games. Richardson has so much potential if he would play more aggressively. Just standing on the top of the zone and passing the ball around or doing the weave isn't playing basketball.

I think Bailey should be snagging minutes back from him IMO.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

It looks like Altman has a disconnect with all of the players. We keep hearing about how Altman's teams turn it up this time of the season...except for the last two. The last two teams were made up differently than were "Altman's teams". It clearly helped, Brooks, Bell, Dorsey to have years to truly master Altman's plan. Its been suggested before that Altman needs to reevaluate his methodology. Long term; not for years or even in the course of a season works with new players coming in each year.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

I feel like it is different with Bailey. Altman talks about the good things that King, Pritchard, White, Okoro, and even Norris do on a regular basis. I just don't get that same feel with Bailey.

The bigger concern is that we may be turning a corner right now...
We are losing White and Amin for sure. All speculation right now is pointing to King and Bol turning pro. I am obviously concerned about Bailey. And you have to think that Pritchard might at least consider a grad-transfer after this year.

You add Walker, Lawson, Johnson and Duarte.
Walker looks to be Wooten 2.0, which is cool, but isn't going to help a ton on offense out of the gate. Johnson is headed on a mission, so we won't see him for 2 years. Duarte looks to be a decent combo guard. Lawson may be effective SF but his game is inside 15 feet. You still don't have a true PG or wing that can slash to the basket in this recruiting class.

If Oregon is not able to land one or more of Anthony, Stanley, or Patterson (2020 reclassify) this April.......YIKES! April is going to be huge to determine which direction this program is heading in the next few years.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Good job on rebounding your topic, nortbeacsf, I didn't mean to derail it. I agree with your analysis & Bailey would be the returning player that Altman needs to build a successful team around next season.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

i don't necessarily think bailey's playing time has anything to do with a strained relationship. altman put him the starting line-up, and bailey responded with a hideous multi-week shooting slump. richardson was clearly playing better, and pritch was struggling, so it made sense to push richardson into a greater role. now it appears richardson has hit some sort of wall, so i don't think it's out of the question that we'll see bailey's minutes rise.

that said, i don't think anything about bailey's game is the necessary just-add-water cure to our offensive woes. he's got quite a few holes that hold him back. he can be fun to watch and he shows flashes at times, and a switch might be made because richardson is really struggling right now, but i wouldn't count on increased minutes being transformative for the team.
ImageImageImageImageImage
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

oregontrack wrote:that said, i don't think anything about bailey's game is the necessary just-add-water cure to our offensive woes. he's got quite a few holes that hold him back. he can be fun to watch and he shows flashes at times, and a switch might be made because richardson is really struggling right now, but i wouldn't count on increased minutes being transformative for the team.
Absolutely agree with you. If Bailey logged 28 minutes instead of 14 against USC, I guarantee we put up more than 49 points.....but probably still lose by double digits. I guess the point I was trying to make is we need all the offense we can get right now and he has more potential than some of the other players that are logging more minutes.
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

Why are so many players struggling?
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

my working theory is that they just aren’t very good.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

oregontrack wrote:my working theory is that they just aren’t very good.
That seems valid, and they seem to have gotten worse, done exactly the opposite of what Altman's good teams do, last season the team was pretty much what it was all season. Early this season the losses to UW and UCLA, moments of the best they have played this season. They haven't looked that good since.
They aren't very good, they have tuned out on the coaching staff. I didn't notice any change in their play last night from leading for most of the first half before the Trojans went on a 9-0 run to take the lead. Can't know obviously, but it seemed like the team didn't really think they had a chance to win the game, just had to get it over with.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

oregontrack wrote:my working theory is that they just aren’t very good.
This is probably true, but that falls on the coaches still. Either not evaluating talent well, or not coaching them up to their full potential.

We still haven't recovered from losing 7 starter quality guys after our final four run. We haven't had really good core 4 star guys that can last a few seasons. Wooten is probably the closest thing to that but he's a very one dimensional player, followed by Pritchard who is having a bad year. We don't have Boucher, Bell, Ennis, Brooks, Dorsey, etc. In fact, I'd take any those guys over who we have right now.

Also our grad transfers have STUNK lately. We used to bring it good useful players, but last few years has been poor. If we can get a couple solid 4-star guys, a nice grad transfer here or there, and a one and done type guy, we'll be back on track.

So it's true, the talent level is not there, but I also think the coaches are having a rough time finding guys and developing them now.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

I kind of agree with Altman though. Bailey doesn't play very good defense given his athletic level.

PP shooting so terribly this year almost makes it necessary to have him out there though or we don't have good spacing.

Richardson needs to channel what he did against Utah, but it's hard when we're facing all these crappy zones and have no consistent shooters.

Without Bol we've gone from a top 40 offensive team to ranked 153rd on offense in KenPom.