WBB: Final Four: #2 Oregon vs #1 Baylor (4/5 4 PM ESPN2)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

nogerO
Senior

Re: WBB: Final Four: #2 Oregon vs #1 Baylor (4/5 4 PM ESPN2)

Post by nogerO »

Thurston wrote:
nogerO wrote:
duckduckgoose wrote:
shoparound wrote:
nogerO wrote: I hope Nyara is as advertised and can slide into a starting role. Boley needs to come off the bench. She's a defensive liability and if she comes in and hits her shots right away leave her in for longer minutes, otherwise bench her if she can't hit the ocean with a beach ball knee deep in saltwater. Satou needs to work on her ball skills, she's a great player but a turnover machine trying to drive through traffic. Giomi needs to bulk up, she gets pushed around too easy consistently. Ruthy and Bazooka will carry the team. From what I've read about the new recruits, we're getting some very good veteran players (club team against high level competition ball). We're going to miss Maite and Oti more than we think so the new people better hit the ground running. Kelly Graves is a great coach and I sometimes think he should get on the refs a little more, but his assistants do a good job of that so he can play good cop, bad cop and he's very effective at that. Looking forward to winning the whole damn thing next year! Go DUCKS!!!
I'm hoping Nyara comes in strong, and is a Tina Charles type of player. That would be amazing and something we really need. I love Ruthy's high % game, but the elite teams with elite bigs really give trouble so we need some help down low.
Boley will improve, her defense isn't that bad, but she has did cold from 3pt towards the end of the season. However I still think she is valuable and if she develops more drives and becomes a Jessica Shepard (ND) type of game, it'd be a great complement to the team.
As far as Satou goes I think this loss will really motivate her. She had the ball in the final game with a tied score and misses the go-ahead shot with a min or so left (or was it the game tying shot?).
Chavez was ok, very solid, but I don't know if she was the same level as the starters, maybe just a notch above Yaeger.
From the press conference today it sounds like Graves is big on Shelley and thinks she can contribute right away.
I was going to say Chavez was Arizona player of the year as a rebuttal to your ok player comment, then remembered so was Casey Benson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm guessing Chavez or Yeager or both will transfer at some point. The 2 guards coming in are really good
Chavez is really good. I do think Graves will end up going for a taller line-up and Nyara will start, but it's not out of the question that Chavez slides into Maite's spot.
I know Chavez was hurt some but I think with the 2 guards coming in she'll have a hard time getting too many minutes.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/articl ... :ncw:index
It was an international boon for coach Kelly Graves and the Ducks, who might or might not lose do-it-all Sabrina Ionescu to the WNBA draft.

Australia's Jazmin Shelley is considered one of the best guards in the world. As a 16-year-old, Shelley led Australia to the gold medal at the 2016 FIBA U17 Women's World Championship. She scored 23 points in a semifinal upset of the United States, which featured current UConn stars Christyn Williams and Olivia Nelson-Ododa. A crafty playmaker with a scorer's touch, Shelley has been in the Australian national system ever since.

Fellow Aussie Lucy Cochrane, a 6-5 post player, was also a member of the Australian national team that beat the U.S. in 2016. Her strength is shot-blocking and rebounding. Against the U.S., she had four blocks and nine rebounds.

Shifting continents, Graves landed a signature from Holly Winterburn, a mainstay on Great Britain's junior national teams. The 5-11 shooting guard, who can finish plays in traffic and extend defenses to the arc, was recruited by numerous Division I programs before choosing Oregon.
Jaz Shelley (red #4)

Holly Winterburn (#7 white/blue)
shoparound
Four Star Recruit

Post by shoparound »

The incoming recruits are supposed to pretty good.
Like I said Chavez looked ok, thankfully she was dependable when we needed. But nothing really stuck out. Maybe sophomore year she turns into a goodman (osu) type of player and becomes lights out when she comes off the bench.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

shoparound wrote:The incoming recruits are supposed to pretty good.
Like I said Chavez looked ok, thankfully she was dependable when we needed. But nothing really stuck out. Maybe sophomore year she turns into a goodman (osu) type of player and becomes lights out when she comes off the bench.
I saw Chavez play tentatively, a "don't mess things up" mentality. The players all had green lights to shoot, but Taylor often passed up shots. Next season I hope she plays looser.
Thurston
Two Star Recruit

Post by Thurston »

Agreed. Chavez is very talented. The international game does not always instantly translate to college, as good as the new girls may in fact be Chavez will either start or be the first guard off the bench next year.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

[quote="Thurston"]Agreed. Chavez is very talented. The international game does not always instantly translate to college, as good as the new girls may in fact be Chavez will either start or be the first guard off the bench next year.[/quote

Maybe for the first few games, but not for long. My guess is the Shelley will be starting if not from the get go, very soon after. Watch her videos...
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Post by duckduckgoose »

Thurston wrote:Agreed. Chavez is very talented. The international game does not always instantly translate to college, as good as the new girls may in fact be Chavez will either start or be the first guard off the bench next year.
It seems that both girls that played internationally and for the Ducks seemed to translate their games from the start. Both Cazorla and Sabally made impacts in their first seasons.

pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

duckduckgoose wrote:
Thurston wrote:Agreed. Chavez is very talented. The international game does not always instantly translate to college, as good as the new girls may in fact be Chavez will either start or be the first guard off the bench next year.
It seems that both girls that played internationally and for the Ducks seemed to translate their games from the start. Both Cazorla and Sabally made impacts in their first seasons.

Yaegar didn't translate this year very well, neither did the Aussie from last year that transferred away. Ayuso last year took a long time to get going, and I feel like there's been a few more that transferred out before they could make an impact.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Yaeger was also dealing with a back issue for much of the season that really only resolved itself late in conference play and then into post-season.
duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Post by duckduckgoose »

pudgejeff wrote:
duckduckgoose wrote:

Yaegar didn't translate this year very well, neither did the Aussie from last year that transferred away. Ayuso last year took a long time to get going, and I feel like there's been a few more that transferred out before they could make an impact.
Ayuso made the most of the little playing time she got last year. With more PT she might not of transferred and would have really helped out this year.
I didn’t even know Yeager was a international player, but when healthy has done some good things.