Sabrina Returning for SR Season

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

thegb2001
Three Star Recruit

Re: Sabrina Returning for SR Season

Post by thegb2001 »

AshlandDuck wrote:
Tray Dub wrote:In case you needed a reminder that internet people are the worst:

Seems pretty tepid to me. Then again, I don't get my panties in a twist when women face the same level of detraction as men do. so maybe it's just me. Sabrina has a history of running her mouth saying kind of absurd things like about how the women's team could beat any boys HS team in the country. It's an absurd statement to any man who has played basketball at the HS level or beyond. She kind of deserves some push back. The reality is that there are many HS boys teams that would run circles around the Lady Ducks. I guarantee there are many HS guards who could literally take her completely out of the game. As great as she is in the women's game, in an equal sense, her value as a basketball player is entirely dependent on her being a woman relegated to playing against other women. As childish as those comments are, they are of the same elevated gender BS that she purports herself.
Might need to check yourself if that’s your reaction to men speaking to women in that manner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shoparound
Four Star Recruit

Post by shoparound »

Interesting reactions from different message boards. UConn loves it and says it's great for the game. OSU and Baylor with petty comments.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

shoparound wrote:Interesting reactions from different message boards. UConn loves it and says it's great for the game. OSU and Baylor with petty comments.
Interesting, UCONN, Baylor, both multiple championships programs, opposite reactions. OSU just can't help themselves. I try to have empathy for their athletic program, but then I check out one of their message boards, and they have a thread dedicated to cheering for Baylor to beat, as they call them, the The ucks. Seriously?
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

AshlandDuck wrote:
Tray Dub wrote:In case you needed a reminder that internet people are the worst:

Seems pretty tepid to me. Then again, I don't get my panties in a twist when women face the same level of detraction as men do. so maybe it's just me. Sabrina has a history of running her mouth saying kind of absurd things like about how the women's team could beat any boys HS team in the country. It's an absurd statement to any man who has played basketball at the HS level or beyond. She kind of deserves some push back. The reality is that there are many HS boys teams that would run circles around the Lady Ducks. I guarantee there are many HS guards who could literally take her completely out of the game. As great as she is in the women's game, in an equal sense, her value as a basketball player is entirely dependent on her being a woman relegated to playing against other women. As childish as those comments are, they are of the same elevated gender BS that she purports herself.
lol
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
AshlandDuck wrote:

When a male basketball player makes claims it’s confidence, but when a women does it it’s absurd eh? Sabrina is confident, and a fantastic player. I don’t doubt she could beat a lot of HS guard in boys basketball that think they’re hot stuff. This sort of hypocrisy from a male driven culture is why women have to stand firm and be advocates for the abilities of women. We need more women like Sabrina in our culture as leaders to stop white men who think they have a right to speak about what other should or shouldn’t say when they’ve never been in their shoes.
But it's cool if it a black guy or a latino guy saying stuff?
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

buckmarkduck wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
AshlandDuck wrote:

When a male basketball player makes claims it’s confidence, but when a women does it it’s absurd eh? Sabrina is confident, and a fantastic player. I don’t doubt she could beat a lot of HS guard in boys basketball that think they’re hot stuff. This sort of hypocrisy from a male driven culture is why women have to stand firm and be advocates for the abilities of women. We need more women like Sabrina in our culture as leaders to stop white men who think they have a right to speak about what other should or shouldn’t say when they’ve never been in their shoes.
I wasn't sure why he put the word "white" in there, I assume he was typing faster then thinking, it happens, doubt it was meant as a race thing. Ashland, you comment was ridiculous and demeaning to women's athletes.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

maxduck wrote:Christmas in April! Thank you Sabrina.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us ... asketball/

We have unfinished business.And I mean that from the bottom of my heart. My teammates and I, our coaches, our fans, this program — we’re not going on a “run,” you know what I mean?? We’re not doing one of those things where, like, a team appears out of the blue, on the backs of a few good players, and then makes some noise for a season or two before heading back underground. Nah. This isn’t that.

We’re building something here in Eugene. We’re building something — together — that’s going to last for a long time after we’ve all graduated. From the upperclassmen, who showed me the way — Oti, Maite and Ruthy (and maybe especially Ruthy, who came in together with me and has gone from my roommate, where we gave each other the silent treatment that first year, to my best friend in the world)….. to our awesome underclassmen, Morgan, Nyara, Taylor, Lydia, Erin, Satou….. to our incoming class of freshmen that we already have committed….. to our amazing coaching staff, led by Coach Graves….. to our UNBELIEVABLE FANS who, honestly – y’all have no idea.
Gotta love her attitude. There's a reason she's the best.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

buckmarkduck wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
AshlandDuck wrote:

Absolutely not, no man should be saying anything like that, it's absolutely insulting and makes them look like an unintelligent being that lacks the ability to think and be articulate. Adding white there probably wasn't necessary, but just expanding to people who think they know what it's like to be in other people's situations, including white's telling people of other colors how to think. I made a blanket statement that I probably should not have, just adding an unnecessary element to the situation without any proof of it, just know white men personally that think that way about other races and are also the ones to make jokes about women's sports like that. But regardless, my main point was that those men look like fools and the hypocrisy that comes from a male driven culture which is evident in AshlandDuck's post. Sorry to bring an unnecessary element into it.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/2019/0 ... nship.html

As Ionescu wrote in her piece with The Players’ Tribune, which came together via a brief phone call earlier Saturday, she felt there was unfinished business for her college career. She contemplated what life would be like if she began her professional career now, though she admitted to not getting too far down the mental rabbit hole of all the finest of points involved. But she couldn’t see herself explaining foregoing her senior season to her teammates and ultimately to herself.

“When I asked myself if that’s what I was going to do and I put myself in that scenario of talking to my coaches and my team and telling them that I was going to leave, there was a hole in my stomach,” she said. “It just didn’t feel right. At that moment I knew I wasn’t going to be able to talk myself into leaving. That’s when ultimately I made my decision that I still had some stuff that I had to take care of. I dedicated four years to this team, to my coaches and I needed to do that.”
“We’re going to be, obviously, really, really good next year,” she said. "A good returning group. Set the bar from the beginning. We’re not going to take any of the losses that we took last year, to UCLA, to Stanford, we’re not going to go down that road next year. Especially it being me and Ruthy (Hebard)’s last year together. Making the most out of every game, every practice because it does go by really quickly. We’re already seniors and on a mission to win a national championship and everything is going to be super important.
shoparound
Four Star Recruit

Post by shoparound »

We knew she was special from the beginning!
Has anyone else ever seen a more excited group of players??

woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
AshlandDuck wrote:

Absolutely not, no man should be saying anything like that, it's absolutely insulting and makes them look like an unintelligent being that lacks the ability to think and be articulate. Adding white there probably wasn't necessary, but just expanding to people who think they know what it's like to be in other people's situations, including white's telling people of other colors how to think. I made a blanket statement that I probably should not have, just adding an unnecessary element to the situation without any proof of it, just know white men personally that think that way about other races and are also the ones to make jokes about women's sports like that. But regardless, my main point was that those men look like fools and the hypocrisy that comes from a male driven culture which is evident in AshlandDuck's post. Sorry to bring an unnecessary element into it.

"That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!"
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!