Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Way too early top 25, Oregon #6

Post by UOducksTK1 »

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-bas ... dgei068fyp

#6 is very high, wow. I guess if King came back, we would be returning 4 of our 5 starters.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Re: Way too early top 25, Oregon #6

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I love my Ducks....but I don’t see that. Even if king came back that seems high.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

I think it's defensible. We played elite defense down the stretch, we've got a really good senior ballhandler, and tons of size. If King comes back and if the freshmen mesh, we could take a step forward on offense, and sky's basically the limit. #6 is high but in the ballpark.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Preseason rankings are worthless - they are just used to beat teams over the head with all season if they take time to learn how to play together. I'm curious if the tournament selection committee has adjusted their thinking at all after watching Oregon reach two Sweet 16's as a 12-seed in the last six years. I dunno, maybe a team kicking everyone's butt at the end of the year really is an indicator of how they will do in the tournament.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Phalanx wrote:Preseason rankings are worthless - they are just used to beat teams over the head with all season if they take time to learn how to play together. I'm curious if the tournament selection committee has adjusted their thinking at all after watching Oregon reach two Sweet 16's as a 12-seed in the last six years. I dunno, maybe a team kicking everyone's butt at the end of the year really is an indicator of how they will do in the tournament.
While they are worthless, they are also often very indicative of what teams end up winning in March.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Tray Dub wrote:I think it's defensible. We played elite defense down the stretch, we've got a really good senior ballhandler, and tons of size. If King comes back and if the freshmen mesh, we could take a step forward on offense, and sky's basically the limit. #6 is high but in the ballpark.
Amin/White were instrumental in making our run this year, but they are replaceable players in our system. King's decision is the key.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

UOducksTK1 wrote:http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-bas ... dgei068fyp

#6 is very high, wow. I guess if King came back, we would be returning 4 of our 5 starters.
I love Oregon, but that is insane. Mid-20s is much more reasonable. IF (big If) King comes back, then Top 15.

They only have 9 scholarship players right now and that could easily drop to 7 in the next few weeks, considering that King is probably gone and there are rumors that there is at least 1 transfer coming. Plus, Stanley and Cole both look like long shots right now, so not a lot of high level options left on the board.

The defense will be good again, but with White and King (most likely) gone, who is going to score the ball other than Payton? It is not like we have an elite scorer or great perimeter shooter in the recruiting class right now, right?
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

northbeachsf wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-bas ... dgei068fyp

I love Oregon, but that is insane. Mid-20s is much more reasonable. IF (big If) King comes back, then Top 15.

They only have 9 scholarship players right now and that could easily drop to 7 in the next few weeks, considering that King is probably gone and there are rumors that there is at least 1 transfer coming. Plus, Stanley and Cole both look like long shots right now, so not a lot of high level options left on the board.

The defense will be good again, but with White and King (most likely) gone, who is going to score the ball other than Payton? It is not like we have an elite scorer or great perimeter shooter in the recruiting class right now, right?
The article premised it saying they thought King would be back because he isn't a 1st round pick. Without King, I don't think it would have us in the top 20.

Obviously that's a national perspective, but nobody "connected" has come out either way about King so far. You never know about the JuCo transition, but Duarte is much better offensively than Bailey or Amin was this season, at minimum. Also think Okoro could average 8-10 a game next year inside.

Then you have to consider adding grad transfers that can shoot, which we will look for, no doubt if King goes.
bigsugarduck
Five Star Recruit

Post by bigsugarduck »

It's kinda crazy how meek some people are regarding Oregon athletics. Can't you take a compliment? As of right now, Oregon has as good of a chance as anyone to make the step to elite...Oregon was a few possessions away from knocking of what could be the National Champions. Walk tall for once. Elite coach + top 10 classes back to back years + most of the team back = no business being a top 6 team.... :roll:
Last edited by bigsugarduck on Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stewart Mandel-"From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I much prefer to watch a good spread-rushing offense over a traditional Power-I offense, and Oregon's has been the most fun by far for the past several years. It's fast, its precise, and when Chip Kelly has the right quarterback (Dixon, Masoli) at the helm, the possibility of someone ripping off a 60-yard run exists on nearly every play."
RebelDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by RebelDuck »

bigsugarduck wrote:It's kinda crazy how meek some people are regarding Oregon athletics. Can't you take a compliment? As of right now, Oregon has as good of a chance as anyone to make the step to elite...Oregon was a few possessions away from knocking of what could be the National Champions. Walk tall for once. Elite coach + 10 classes back to back years + most of the team back = no business being a top 6 team.... :roll:
I would call it cautious, not meek. For me, I would feel a lot better for next year knowing King is coming back, having a good back-up point guard and a true center. Altman will work his magic again and they should win the conference but I don’t know well they will play in the the tournament.
Last edited by RebelDuck on Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

bigsugarduck wrote:It's kinda crazy how meek some people are regarding Oregon athletics. Can't you take a compliment? As of right now, Oregon has as good of a chance as anyone to make the step to elite...Oregon was a few possessions away from knocking of what could be the National Champions. Walk tall for once. Elite coach + 10 classes back to back years + most of the team back = no business being a top 6 team.... :roll:
+1

If everyone else comes back then next year should be special.

I would love to see King and Walker on the court together!
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

The only other too early top 25 I've come across has us at #5. https://watchstadium.com/news/preseason ... ssion=true
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

But Vegas has us at 14th most likely to win the championship. https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaab/201 ... ginia-duke
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

We came within 4 points of the National Champions...the goal is always win the natty. Doesn't matter where the ratings have you.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Andy Katz has us at #3.