Potential 2019-20 roster additions

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Re: Potential 2019-20 roster additions

Post by GoDucksTroll »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
greenyellow wrote:Current roster:
SR: Payton Pritchard, Anthony Mathis (grad transfer), Eugene Omoruyi (sit-one transfer), Shakur Juiston (grad transfer)
JR: Chris Duarte, Eric Williams (sit-one transfer)
SO: Will Richardson, Francis Okoro
FR: CJ Walker, Chandler Lawson, Lok Wur

Updated target list:
2019 recruits: Niven Glover
Reclassifying 2020 recruits: N'Faly Dante, Addison Patterson
If we got Dante and Patterson, this team would win the Pac-12. We'll see though..
I think we win the PAC-12 as is, but either of those guys will assure it.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

I'm trying to figure out why there are two transfers who have to sit out a year, but somehow they still count against the scholarship limit both this year and the years they are actually playing. Is this how the NCAA discourages teams taking transfers? Hopefully these two guys are really good, since they are taking the place of other guys who could contribute to the team this year.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Phalanx wrote:I'm trying to figure out why there are two transfers who have to sit out a year, but somehow they still count against the scholarship limit both this year and the years they are actually playing. Is this how the NCAA discourages teams taking transfers? Hopefully these two guys are really good, since they are taking the place of other guys who could contribute to the team this year.
That's because they are still on scholarship even while sitting out a year to fulfill their NCAA-mandated residency transfer requirement. Without being on scholarship, they likely wouldn't be able to afford being in school, especially as out-of-state student-athletes. The space they take up only feels more pronounced in basketball than say football just because of the normal roster sizes for the two sports. In most seasons, Altman settles into a rotation of around 7-8 guys with the back end of the bench getting playing time mostly in garbage time or extreme foul trouble. As of now, Oregon is using only 11 of their 13 allotted scholarships so they could still have 11 eligible players next season if he decides to take 2 more players. Altman likely only takes one more so he can potentially save space for one of the many top 2020 guys they're currently in on.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

greenyellow wrote:
Phalanx wrote:I'm trying to figure out why there are two transfers who have to sit out a year, but somehow they still count against the scholarship limit both this year and the years they are actually playing. Is this how the NCAA discourages teams taking transfers? Hopefully these two guys are really good, since they are taking the place of other guys who could contribute to the team this year.
That's because they are still on scholarship even while sitting out a year to fulfill their NCAA-mandated residency transfer requirement. Without being on scholarship, they likely wouldn't be able to afford being in school, especially as out-of-state student-athletes. The space they take up only feels more pronounced in basketball than say football just because of the normal roster sizes for the two sports. In most seasons, Altman settles into a rotation of around 7-8 guys with the back end of the bench getting playing time mostly in garbage time or extreme foul trouble. As of now, Oregon is using only 11 of their 13 allotted scholarships so they could still have 11 eligible players next season if he decides to take 2 more players. Altman likely only takes one more so he can potentially save space for one of the many top 2020 guys they're currently in on.
Yes - I realize how the whole scholarship thing works. My question is why the scholarship has to count against the team when they aren't playing. If you make a rule that says they have to sit out a year, it seems like it is a punishment if you don't make a corresponding rule that their academic scholarship doesn't count against the limit.

I get that the rotation is only 7 or 8 (or 9). Normally though, you have a pool of 13 guys to choose those 7 to 9 out of, thereby ensuring the best rotation possible. In this case, with two guys sitting, the max of the pool is 11, and if Altman does hold one scholarship, then 10. So if any of his recruits turn out to be dogs, Altman is still forced to play them. So it seems like getting these two guys who had to sit out is a pretty risky deal. Or maybe it was done out of desperation or the hope that one or both would qualify this year. Hopefully it works out.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I think part of the intent of the rule is to keep teams from just stacking players up via redshirt and transfers to game the scholarship allotment. And typically it's not that big of a deal to have one or two players sitting out for various reasons. Seems you're just overthinking it a bit too much.

As for the numbers Oregon does have, Altman has made teams work with less scholarship players before so I'm not too worried about it.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

greenyellow wrote:I think part of the intent of the rule is to keep teams from just stacking players up via redshirt and transfers to game the scholarship allotment. And typically it's not that big of a deal to have one or two players sitting out for various reasons. Seems you're just overthinking it a bit too much.

As for the numbers Oregon does have, Altman has made teams work with less scholarship players before so I'm not too worried about it.
LOL, well I realize any kind of thinking would be considered overthinking by some. I am questioning a rule, and I'm sure I am not the first one to do so. In any case , I can't recall the last time there were two guys on the roster taking up scholarships that didn't even have the option of playing, to go with possibly up to five freshmen, at least a few of whom might normally be considered redshirt candidates. This will be an issue in terms of depth at some point this season; it's pretty much a guarantee. You can worry or not worry as you see fit. It's totally legitimate to point it out, despite the fact that it may not have occurred to you. :roll:
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

Phalanx wrote:
greenyellow wrote:I think part of the intent of the rule is to keep teams from just stacking players up via redshirt and transfers to game the scholarship allotment. And typically it's not that big of a deal to have one or two players sitting out for various reasons. Seems you're just overthinking it a bit too much.

LOL, well I realize any kind of thinking would be considered overthinking by some. I am questioning a rule, and I'm sure I am not the first one to do so. In any case , I can't recall the last time there were two guys on the roster taking up scholarships that didn't even have the option of playing, to go with possibly up to five freshmen, at least a few of whom might normally be considered redshirt candidates. This will be an issue in terms of depth at some point this season; it's pretty much a guarantee. You can worry or not worry as you see fit. It's totally legitimate to point it out, despite the fact that it may not have occurred to you. :roll:
I am pretty sure we had two redshirts during the Final 4 run. White was a redshirt due to transfer and MJ Cage was a redshirt as a true frosh. We only had 12 scholarship players that season too, so we were essentially short three players.

Altman always runs short every year, so not really anything that is new IMO.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

northbeachsf wrote:
I am pretty sure we had two redshirts during the Final 4 run. White was a redshirt due to transfer and MJ Cage was a redshirt as a true frosh. We only had 12 scholarship players that season too, so we were essentially short three players.

Altman always runs short every year, so not really anything that is new IMO.
I was talking about two sit-out transfers, and Paul White was the only one that year. I am optimistic about this year's team, but I would happily trade for the situation surrounding the 2016-17 team (to say nothing of the players). Not only did they have more players available than there are now (11 vs. 9 to date), but a large majority this year are new and on that team most were returning veterans. You mentioned Cage redshirting: I wonder how many on this team will be either injured or unready for Pac 12 play? I'm not sure coach Altman will have the option of redshirting anyone this year, unless he recruits a couple more guys.

Anyway, not a big argument, I'm just noting how costly it is to have two sit-out transfers taking up scholarships this year. I know Altman will make it work.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

I see where you are going, but let me take the counter argument and tell you why I think this is a great move by Altman.

With the amount of attrition Oregon has every year, I think that Altman is trying to change his recruiting strategy a little bit. Every year it seems that Oregon has around 12 players on the roster that are trying to get on the floor. Altman has always had a short bench, typically using 8-9 man rotations, especially late in the year. Ultimately, they end up with 3-4 kids every year that were highly recruited out of high school that don't see the floor their freshman (and possibly sophomore) seasons and they pull the plug and transfer. This has to be frustrating.

This season Oregon has two sit out transfers. IMO this is awesome for a number of reasons:
1) We picked up two great players with college experience. They both have proven that they can perform at a high level in college. One of them lead his team in both scoring and rebounding.
2) They will burn their redshirts, so it is unlikely that they will transfer again. Altman will get at least 2 full years of production out of them.
3) Altman has said that he likes to have 11 players to run an efficient practice. Now you make that 11 number, but you have 9 eligible for games, so everyone that is eligible is likely getting some decent minutes.
4) The sit out transfers have an entire year to run Altman's system in practice before they get on the floor.
5) This also helps with rebuilding so they don't have another year like 2017-2018.

Ultimately, I think you are going to see more experienced teams, less transfers, and better results with this new strategy.

I think Oregon should take 2 of these type of guys every year if they are available. What is the harm? When was the last time we had more than 9 guys getting decent minutes in a season?
bigsugarduck
Five Star Recruit

Post by bigsugarduck »

Gotta say....things looked really grim a few months ago. Happy to see the roster has filled out to some degree. I don't expect Oregon will be among the top of the conference, but I will not be surprised if Oregon puts it together and gets to the sweet sixteen after a crummy start. While Altman has clearly shown an ability to mold a team by seasons end, it has not happened every time (see 2 years ago).
Stewart Mandel-"From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I much prefer to watch a good spread-rushing offense over a traditional Power-I offense, and Oregon's has been the most fun by far for the past several years. It's fast, its precise, and when Chip Kelly has the right quarterback (Dixon, Masoli) at the helm, the possibility of someone ripping off a 60-yard run exists on nearly every play."
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

northbeachsf wrote:I see where you are going, but let me take the counter argument and tell you why I think this is a great move by Altman.

With the amount of attrition Oregon has every year, I think that Altman is trying to change his recruiting strategy a little bit. Every year it seems that Oregon has around 12 players on the roster that are trying to get on the floor. Altman has always had a short bench, typically using 8-9 man rotations, especially late in the year. Ultimately, they end up with 3-4 kids every year that were highly recruited out of high school that don't see the floor their freshman (and possibly sophomore) seasons and they pull the plug and transfer. This has to be frustrating.

This season Oregon has two sit out transfers. IMO this is awesome for a number of reasons:
1) We picked up two great players with college experience. They both have proven that they can perform at a high level in college. One of them lead his team in both scoring and rebounding.
2) They will burn their redshirts, so it is unlikely that they will transfer again. Altman will get at least 2 full years of production out of them.
3) Altman has said that he likes to have 11 players to run an efficient practice. Now you make that 11 number, but you have 9 eligible for games, so everyone that is eligible is likely getting some decent minutes.
4) The sit out transfers have an entire year to run Altman's system in practice before they get on the floor.
5) This also helps with rebuilding so they don't have another year like 2017-2018.

Ultimately, I think you are going to see more experienced teams, less transfers, and better results with this new strategy.

I think Oregon should take 2 of these type of guys every year if they are available. What is the harm? When was the last time we had more than 9 guys getting decent minutes in a season?
Outstanding post. Point #2 especially stood out to me. I agree, the likelihood of them transferring again is very small. The ability of the two sit-out guys to practice is also a benefit I hadn't considered. My only response to your last point is that if he is going to pick nine guys, it is better if he can do it from a pool of 11 than of 9. It still does affect depth if you have a couple of Cages or Sorkins among your 9 guys.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Still think Lou and Wooten should have stayed, but I'm ready to move on to this new team.

Northbeach makes some really great points about the 1 year sit out transfers and the benefits they provide both in practice and in that they'll likely stick around and have a year in Altman's system and not just transfer like a lot of these crybaby freshman have when they don't play in year 1.

Kind of disagree with the "we'll win the Pac-12!" comments. A lot of new pieces makes that really tough. UW/ASU/UA will all be contenders too.

Roster is looking good, but we need another wing or Duarte to really be a star player.
Thurston
Two Star Recruit

Post by Thurston »

I expect a season kind of like last year, honestly. The non-con is very difficult and we'll likely have several losses going into Pac-12 play. The trick will be not dropping some soul-crushing home games (like OSU, UCLA, and Washington this past season) along the way so we don't NEED to win the Pac-12 Tournament to punch our ticket once the team rounds into form in February.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

Update on N'Faly Dante: It's still undecided whether he will be able to reclassify to 2019. If he does it's a two-horse race between us and Kentucky. Only a slight horse racing pun since Kentucky is involved. I looked at a few Kentucky blogs as well, and no one knows what is really going on. One of their writers is claiming that his guardian is pushing him to Oregon.

On the court: He won MVP at the Peach Jam, which is the premier AAU tournament. He's just a monster with a very high ceiling, and would be an incredible coup for us.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Thanks GoDucksTroll. Sounds like we are in a better position than we thought a month ago, for sure. Getting a player like him this season would really flip expectations.