Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Oregon ranked #17 in ESPN's way too early rankings

Post by UOducksTK1 »

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... 25-2019-20

Seems high to me, because it'll probably take a couple months into the season until we have all the pieces starting to mesh together.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Re: Oregon ranked #17 in ESPN's way too early rankings

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Seems way high to me. I’m not sold at all on our prospects for next season
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

lukeyrid13 wrote:Seems way high to me. I’m not sold at all on our prospects for next season
If Dante gets added, I could maybe see it, but even that would be a stretch. IMO we are like a 40-50 team right now.

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

The non-conference schedule will be tough for this new group but if they can survive it and gel by the time conference play starts, they will be have the pieces to compete for a conference title and likely make the NCAA Tournament.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Well we added Dante, and Addison is sounding like a heavy Ducks lean. Add both of them, and a top 25 ranking is more justified.

GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

Jon Rothstein has us #8 and CBSsports at #15.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

GoDucksTroll wrote:Jon Rothstein has us #8 and CBSsports at #15.
#8? Sheesh. Even with Addison, that's a bold ranking!

duck541
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck541 »

I honestly don't think it's too high.

Payton is one of the top PGs in the country. JC player of the year in Duarte. 5* center and wing in Dante and Walker. Juiston is a beast who started to show an improved shot before he got hurt 8 games into last year. With another year to work on that he might actually be our best player this year. We have one of the best shooters in the country who over the last two years shot 44% from 3 on 7 attempts per game in Mathis. Richardson, Okoro, and Lawson are all quality reserves.

It's going to take some time for them to come together, but we know Altman can do that, and it helps having a SR at the most important position.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

duck541 wrote:I honestly don't think it's too high.

Payton is one of the top PGs in the country. JC player of the year in Duarte. 5* center and wing in Dante and Walker. Juiston is a beast who started to show an improved shot before he got hurt 8 games into last year. With another year to work on that he might actually be our best player this year. We have one of the best shooters in the country who over the last two years shot 44% from 3 on 7 attempts per game in Mathis. Richardson, Okoro, and Lawson are all quality reserves.

It's going to take some time for them to come together, but we know Altman can do that, and it helps having a SR at the most important position.
Absolutely! Having an experience senior in Pritchard can be huge this year! I just hope he doesn't have his first half of the season slump he's had the past two years. When he's aggressive he is fantastic and can lead this team far, but when he's tentative he's almost a liability at times. Both him and Richardson need to play confident and aggressive all season long.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

I heard someone the other day going through this same list of credentials, and it suddenly hit me that a lot of the best basketball teams are in a similar boat to the ducks in terms of having to reload on a yearly basis. It must be really hard to do pre-season rankings in college basketball. It's a good thing the polls don't mean much.
duck541
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck541 »

Phalanx wrote:

I heard someone the other day going through this same list of credentials, and it suddenly hit me that a lot of the best basketball teams are in a similar boat to the ducks in terms of having to reload on a yearly basis. It must be really hard to do pre-season rankings in college basketball. It's a good thing the polls don't mean much.

absolutely. thats the reality of college basketball these days. pretty much every top team except for michigan state is relying on multiple first year players to play big minutes. we obviously are taking that to the max, with 5 of our probably top 6 being new. but we are probably asking the least of our freshman of teams projected in the top 10. dante and walker are going to be asked to rebound and use their athleticism on defense, and the offense will depend most on mathis and duarte, one of which has already played with pritchard before. juiston has already played at a high level before, and will likely shoulder most of the load when it comes to scoring inside.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

This is a good sign!!!

“6-2 + 21-year-old #Oregon PG prospect Pritchard had an extremely impressive weekend at the 2019 @nikebasketball Academy that seemed to cause some scouts to rethink their stance on his #NBA prospects”

http://insider.espn.com/nba/insider/sto ... ll-academy
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

northbeachsf wrote:This is a good sign!!!

“6-2 + 21-year-old #Oregon PG prospect Pritchard had an extremely impressive weekend at the 2019 @nikebasketball Academy that seemed to cause some scouts to rethink their stance on his #NBA prospects”

http://insider.espn.com/nba/insider/sto ... ll-academy
Nice. If he plays like he did down the stretch last season, it's warranted praise.
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

As much as PP lit it up at the end of the year, I think it was as much about Altman taking the reigns off. Dana is famous for meticulous detail. I think it’s why we start slow. But at some point when we came into the P12 tournament with a poor seed and little to lose, he rolled the ball out and let PP ball. The combo of Altman’s coaching/system coupled with PP’s natural gym rat play was a thing of beauty to watch.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

UofDuck wrote:As much as PP lit it up at the end of the year, I think it was as much about Altman taking the reigns off. Dana is famous for meticulous detail. I think it’s why we start slow. But at some point when we came into the P12 tournament with a poor seed and little to lose, he rolled the ball out and let PP ball. The combo of Altman’s coaching/system coupled with PP’s natural gym rat play was a thing of beauty to watch.
PP has taken a lot of criticism, because he’s always the guy that’s supposed to break through. But at the end of last year it finally felt like his team. This year is where he can make himself a lot of money, and hopefully this is the year he finds that consistency. I really wish King had come back, because in my observations they meshed really well together with PP being able to find King wide open shots.

I think Pritchard works best when he has a shooter who can also penetrate. Like a Dorsey or King. Hopefully Mathis or Duarte or Patterson can fill that role.