Victor Bailey Announces Plans to Transfer

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

mattc94
Four Star Recruit

Victor Bailey Announces Plans to Transfer

Post by mattc94 »

Well. Looks like the whispers that Bailey was leaving were true. Now getting a couple more transfers who can play immediately is crucial. (shrugs shoulders) :(
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Re: Victor Bailey Announces Plans to Transfer

Post by StevensTechU »

Only makes sense based on where he ended up at the end of the season. Too bad, as he definitely has the talent and seemed to be improving.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Not surprised, but still bummed. He's a little too one dimensional, otherwise he'd be a fantastic college player.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Ducks have almost no guard depth. Wooten is also now the only player left from the 2017 class.
bigsugarduck
Five Star Recruit

Post by bigsugarduck »

My general impression is that Oregon suffers way more transfer attrition than other schools. I don't really follow other programs, but the transfers to recruiting class size fees like 40-50% the last 5+ years. Am I goof'd? :?

Is this a bit of a vicious cycle? Transfers out of the program necessitate new incoming transfers that end up alienating the current roster leading to more transfers the following year...and so on... :roll:
Stewart Mandel-"From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I much prefer to watch a good spread-rushing offense over a traditional Power-I offense, and Oregon's has been the most fun by far for the past several years. It's fast, its precise, and when Chip Kelly has the right quarterback (Dixon, Masoli) at the helm, the possibility of someone ripping off a 60-yard run exists on nearly every play."
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

bigsugarduck wrote:My general impression is that Oregon suffers way more transfer attrition than other schools. I don't really follow other programs, but the transfers to recruiting class size fees like 40-50% the last 5+ years. Am I goof'd? :?

Is this a bit of a vicious cycle? Transfers out of the program necessitate new incoming transfers that end up alienating the current roster leading to more transfers the following year...and so on... :roll:
Oddly, I think it's fairly average for equally successful programs. Edit: If I had to guess, I would bet Kentucky leads the country in transfers.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

Has anyone but Johnny Loyd played 4 full years at Oregon since Altman arrived?? I didn't look it up, but I can't think of anyone else. If so, hopefully Pritchard is No. 2
If we are not leading the country in transfers, we are pretty close to the top.

BTW..I am not complaining. I will take the wins however we can get them.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

northbeachsf wrote:Has anyone but Johnny Loyd played 4 full years at Oregon since Altman arrived?? I didn't look it up, but I can't think of anyone else. If so, hopefully Pritchard is No. 2
If we are not leading the country in transfers, we are pretty close to the top.

BTW..I am not complaining. I will take the wins however we can get them.
Pritchard will be the only other player during Altman's tenure that's done 4 full years. Cook, Benson, Brooks, and Bell all played 3 years.
Thurston
Two Star Recruit

Post by Thurston »

How dare you forget Roman Sorkin.
mattc94
Four Star Recruit

Post by mattc94 »

Thurston wrote:How dare you forget Roman Sorkin.
That's because pretty much everything about Roman Sorkin's basketball career at Oregon was forgettable. :lol:
ncduck
Senior

Post by ncduck »

mattc94 wrote:
Thurston wrote:How dare you forget Roman Sorkin.
That's because pretty much everything about Roman Sorkin's basketball career at Oregon was forgettable. :lol:
I always remembered he had a scholly, but that's about it.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/2019/0 ... ports.html

EUGENE — Victor Bailey Jr. is headed to the SEC.
The former Oregon guard committed to transfer to Tennessee, according to his Instagram.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Doesn't make sense, but hope he finds what he's looking for at Tennessee. If he can expand his game to play defense and be more than a fast break dunker + shooter, he could be a great player.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

I’ve talked to VJ’s mom a dozen times, I’ve made edits for VJ and his mom’s athletes at Texas. He loved Oregon and she loved Oregon. Like, this is one of those involved tiger moms. And she wanted him to stay.

This one really surprised me. I don’t want to ask her what happened, but sometimes there is more to a story.

I liked his game, and I was surprised Altman didn’t play him more. Especially the DNPs in the stretch run. We had bad cold streaks (UVA) and Dana seems to never be scared with throwing someone in to break a slump. So... yeah, I wonder what happened.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

GoDucksTroll wrote:I’ve talked to VJ’s mom a dozen times, I’ve made edits for VJ and his mom’s athletes at Texas. He loved Oregon and she loved Oregon. Like, this is one of those involved tiger moms. And she wanted him to stay.

This one really surprised me. I don’t want to ask her what happened, but sometimes there is more to a story.

I liked his game, and I was surprised Altman didn’t play him more. Especially the DNPs in the stretch run. We had bad cold streaks (UVA) and Dana seems to never be scared with throwing someone in to break a slump. So... yeah, I wonder what happened.
It could be anything, which includes a situation as boring as VJ being a great kid, but just never really grasping the concept, maybe he didn't practice well; and though he might have worked at it, by the end of the season the team had jelled and Altman wasn't inclined to break it up to find minutes for VJ. I could definitely see that being a very frustrating for a player; love the team or not.