Miles Norris enters transfer pool

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Re: Miles Norris enters transfer pool

Post by pudgejeff »

northbeachsf wrote:I am bummed to see him go because I think he is the perfect player for Altman's system. That being said, I think the writing was on the wall for some time with this decision. I honestly think he knew he was going to transfer out after this season back in November. The first clue was that he and his family asked to remove his redshirt prior to Bol's injury to log less than 5 minutes a game. His end of the season tweet was pretty telling as well. He's not coming back.

We have 7 scholarship players right now that can play next season? YIKES!
Am I missing someone? I count 3 returnees in Okoro, Richardson and Pritchard then add Duarte, Lawson and Walker to make 6 total.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

pudgejeff wrote:
northbeachsf wrote:I am bummed to see him go because I think he is the perfect player for Altman's system. That being said, I think the writing was on the wall for some time with this decision. I honestly think he knew he was going to transfer out after this season back in November. The first clue was that he and his family asked to remove his redshirt prior to Bol's injury to log less than 5 minutes a game. His end of the season tweet was pretty telling as well. He's not coming back.

We have 7 scholarship players right now that can play next season? YIKES!
Am I missing someone? I count 3 returnees in Okoro, Richardson and Pritchard then add Duarte, Lawson and Walker to make 6 total.
You forgot Wooten.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

pudgejeff wrote:
I'm not disagreeing on whether they should be allowed to transfer, but quit saying they aren't paid. It's not even close to actuality, the combined tuition/books/rent/food/spending they get is far more than most college graduates will get to start. Anyone is allowed to leave a job for another company, so as I said I'm not saying they shouldn't be able to transfer.
Well, I definitely want to be close to actuality.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/paid

to give over (a certain amount of money) in exchange for something.

College is expensive, and the people who want to go there and study pay a lot for the privilege. However, an athlete who is receiving that consideration cannot enter the marketplace with it, cannot exchange it, cannot sell it to others. Same with books, or rent, or even shoes and other equipment they might receive. There is also a question about how valuable a formal education is to someone who is trying to develop their skill in a sport. They are not easily able to completely avail themselves of the consideration they are receiving, given the demands on their time and energy that playing the sport requires. It's interesting to see what athletes do when they actually have a choice about whether to go to college or get paid. In basketball, unless one goes abroad, it is hard to get paid as a freshman, given the NBA rules. Certainly a high percentage of current NBA players left school early in order to get paid. Baseball is a better comparison, since there are more players, and the option exists to skip college entirely and receive monetary payment. What we find there is that about a quarter of players drafted come right out of high school, and almost nobody stays in college long enough to graduate. The number is somewhere around 4%. So I think we can assume that as soon as they physically mature enough to be proficient in their sport and compete with other professionals, they almost unanimously choose to actually receive payment, rather than continue receiving the benefits provided by a scholarship. The payment in rookie league baseball is also notoriously low, lower than the market value of a college education, books, rent, etc.

So I guess I will continue to say that athletes aren't getting paid in college, since when they actually have the option of receiving monetary compensation for their services, they nearly always avail themselves of it, rather than continue on scholarship.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

I'm pretty sure just about anyone would go "pro" rather than going to college first in any profession, if they were good enough. That doesn't make much sense to me.

For those who say they aren't getting paid, tell that to kids who have 50k+ in school debt. Professional school 100k+ isn't out of the ordinary.

I'm not against increasing stipends and giving them a larger share of revenue, but people who act like it's some sort of slave market are morons.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

I've never seen anyone act like it is a slave market. My own point was merely that the option to transfer schools should be made available to any athlete who finds it in his or her best interests. It sucks when they transfer away from Oregon, but we certainly get more than our share of transfers from other schools, so it evens out.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Thurston
Two Star Recruit

Post by Thurston »

I of course support any player who wishes to transfer. It's how this whole thing works.

From a strictly selfish perspective, this one stings more than most simply because it's so puzzling. And naturally I say that as an outsider to the program who has absolutely no insight about the relationships he may have with the coaching staff or his teammates. But from this outsider's perspective, I thought he was in line to start next year and play a big role. It certainly didn't appear to be minutes crunch situation.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

I like how Miles thanks the fans for supporting him for the WHOLE year, lol.

I swear that must be a generic copy-paste that every transfer uses because I've read that statement many times.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Man, this one hurts.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Thurston wrote:I of course support any player who wishes to transfer. It's how this whole thing works.

From a strictly selfish perspective, this one stings more than most simply because it's so puzzling. And naturally I say that as an outsider to the program who has absolutely no insight about the relationships he may have with the coaching staff or his teammates. But from this outsider's perspective, I thought he was in line to start next year and play a big role. It certainly didn't appear to be minutes crunch situation.
I think there's certainly some stuff going on behind-the-scenes with Altman, the players, and their families, otherwise they wouldn't be leaving. Altman is notoriously tough on his bench players and tends to pull them much quicker than his starters. Throw in his propensities to play older players (mainly because they tend to screw up less due to experience) and use shallow rotations, I think that was a bad cocktail for former top-100 players like Bailey and Norris, who both saw their minutes decrease as the season wound down.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

I like it, Walker goin' Old School with his sentiment. It expresses an attitude the antithesis of the 1 & done mentality discussed in the other thread. Walker sounds very much like he wants to be at Oregon.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Good for CJ. At least someone's parents raised them right.
mattc94
Four Star Recruit

Post by mattc94 »

C.J.'s philosophy reminds me of Chip's attitude when potential recruits would balk at signing at Oregon.

"We can win with you or without you." Basically, you can suck in your gut and be part of the ride or shrink away and go elsewhere.

Sometimes when someone backs down you need to challenge their conviction. But if Norris doesn't want to be challenged, I understand.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

greenyellow wrote:
Called out

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13