Kenny wooten not returning????

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Re: Kenny wooten not returning????

Post by Boom »

StevensTechU wrote:I have a lot of appreciation for comments like Thurston's.

That said, I think he's making a major financial mistake. Oregon is willing to invest far more into Wooten's growth than the G-league or playing overseas. And contrary to popular belief, guys can and do develop offensively late. Kawhi Leonard, a defensive juggernaut, would have made himself a ton of money if he'd come back to SDSU another year or so. Wooten is making a hasty decision, IMO.
I'm sorry, but this is false. Leonard was a 1st round pick and developed into a max contract player during his rookie contract. He made a large leap due to being a professional athlete working with the worlds best coaches in a professional environment. That doesn't happen at SDSU. Taking classes, studying for finals, working limited amount of hours with 2nd rate coaches. College basketball is a joke in comparison.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

With Wooten leaving, there's now no players left from the 2017 recruiting class and only 2 left from the 2018 class. Of the last 4 recruiting classes, there are only 6 out of 17 signed recruits who'll actually be on the roster next season and 3 of those are in the incoming 2019 class. This amount of turnover is really making it hard to get all that connected with the men's team.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Yeah, I'm getting more and more supportive of the baseball rule. Go if you want out of HS, otherwise, stay 3 minimum.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Re: the baseball rule... Too bad the NBA has more say in it than the college basketball fans, eh?
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Thurston
Two Star Recruit

Post by Thurston »

OregonFan4Life wrote:

That said, I think he's making a major financial mistake. Oregon is willing to invest far more into Wooten's growth than the G-league or playing overseas. And contrary to popular belief, guys can and do develop offensively late. Kawhi Leonard, a defensive juggernaut, would have made himself a ton of money if he'd come back to SDSU another year or so. Wooten is making a hasty decision, IMO.
Exactly, and Kawhi at least had a decent jumpshot that he developed in college. If Wooten just took one more year to develop a decent midrange jumpshot (off the dribble even), it'd go a long way in his draft stock.

I see where Thurston is coming from with that post, I just personally disagree with it a lot. Anyone, and I mean anyone, can learn to shoot and dribble a basketball with enough practice. The comparison to Brown is totally off as those are two completely different players with drastically different skillsets. Sure Brown could've used another year to refine his skills and maybe would've been drafted higher, but he still showed enough potential to be drafted at a very good spot. Nobody is criticizing King near as much as they are Wooten, because King at least has a standard skillset he can work off of that Wooten does not have at all. King, while probably won't get drafted near as high as Brown, has things NBA coaches can work on. Wooten does not have any of that. He's pretty much having to learn the game completely, and I don't think his size/athleticism combo is enough for an NBA team to invest in with how much time and training he needs.
Just to be clear, I wasn't comparing Wooten's game to Troy Brown's, I was merely commenting that I believe both had peaked by the time each decided to turn pro.

As for your last bit -- Wooten not having anything beyond size/athleticism for an NBA to invest in his personal development -- it's my opinion, and I think it's likely the opinion of enough scout's to have convinced Wooten and his family, that he's not going to suddenly develop any of those skills in his final two years of school, hence from a financial perspective -- earn now while you can -- it makes sense for him to leave. I'd love to be wrong, but I don't believe the NBA is the ultimate end game for Kenny Wooten, and I think that played a big role in his decision.
shoparound
Four Star Recruit

Post by shoparound »

So this is funny. We have Justin Herbert and Sabrina Ionescu, who are actual stars and major post college potential, staying because of the team and atmosphere, school and in the meanwhile have these scrubs running out of here like they robbed a bank?
jimmy12
Senior

Post by jimmy12 »

Uhhhh nba vs wnba — pretty easy to understand
chapelhillduck
Senior

Post by chapelhillduck »

Kenny is gonna have a nice career, maybe NBA maybe not, but you can't fault him for wanting to start that career when he can and money is money. Best of luck to the kid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Boom wrote:

I'm sorry, but this is false. Leonard was a 1st round pick and developed into a max contract player during his rookie contract. He made a large leap due to being a professional athlete working with the worlds best coaches in a professional environment. That doesn't happen at SDSU. Taking classes, studying for finals, working limited amount of hours with 2nd rate coaches. College basketball is a joke in comparison.
Wooten won't be a first round pick with a guaranteed roster spot and minutes to develop. If he was a 1st rounder, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Perhaps he can develop overseas. But there are many more stories of guys failing to develop while shuffling from an Israeli team to a Turkish team to a Greek team to a Russian team than there are guys who make it back to the NBA.

If Wooten was my kid, I would be telling him to stay in school.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

I am just speculating here, but maybe he felt like he needed to leave before the rule change. That gives him a full year in the G League before it gets flooded with new players next year. Salaries now are around $35k per year, but starting next season, the G League will offer players coming out of high school contracts up to $125k per year. The G League is going to get flooded next season with talented HS players that don't want to attend college and college kids chasing reasonable income. Maybe this gives him a chance to get established before the flood of incoming players next season?
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

Let me start practicing my chant...

“WE ARE A FOOTBALL SCHOOL!!”
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

StevensTechU wrote:
Boom wrote:

Wooten won't be a first round pick with a guaranteed roster spot and minutes to develop. If he was a 1st rounder, we wouldn't be having this conversation.
Agreed.

Very few players make it into the NBA.
StevensTechU wrote:Perhaps he can develop overseas. But there are many more stories of guys failing to develop while shuffling from an Israeli team to a Turkish team to a Greek team to a Russian team than there are guys who make it back to the NBA.
He may or may not develop into a NBA player. Regardless, he could have a lengthy professional career overseas.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

Is Wooten gone for sure?? Isn't there a rule that undrafted players have 10 days to return to school?
Anyone know?
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

northbeachsf wrote:Is Wooten gone for sure?? Isn't there a rule that undrafted players have 10 days to return to school?
Anyone know?
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

DuckMastaFunk wrote:Let me start practicing my chant...

“WE ARE A FOOTBALL SCHOOL!!”
ummm

“WE ARE A WOMEN'S BASKETBALL SCHOOL!!”