Kenny wooten not returning????

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Re: Kenny wooten not returning????

Post by Tray Dub »

northbeachsf wrote:Is Wooten gone for sure?? Isn't there a rule that undrafted players have 10 days to return to school?
Anyone know?
https://www.mlive.com/wolverines/2019/0 ... tball.html

To summarize, no, right now they can't return. That rule has been proposed but is pending until the NBA synchronizes its rules, which it hasn't done yet.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Seems like most such cases would have eligibility issues anyway, since so many drop out of school to prepare for the draft.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Not seeing him mocked anywhere in the recent updates.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

GrantDuck wrote:Not seeing him mocked anywhere in the recent updates.

I've looked also, he might very well not get drafted. Sucks for him. This is why I say players shouldn't leave unless they are a lock to be a first rounder
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

GrantDuck wrote:Not seeing him mocked anywhere in the recent updates.
And so he may indeed end up getting mocked . . .
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Everyone saying what a weak draft it is this year...he probably figured it was better to try the draft now rather than in a stronger year. Too bad it doesn't look like it will work out. Still, I wonder if some team made him a promise of some kind...seems like he would have to have a good reason for leaving school early, doesn't it?
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

Maybe better to have his pick of a team as an UFA, or feels he can show his skills more in the G League to get a contract next year?
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

Whoever gave advice to Wooten, I wouldn’t trust them as far as I can throw them. If he needed to make money now for his family, I get it. But he is a one trick pony, that needs work on too many other facets of his game. Even if next year is a better draft year, he would have gotten more attention, and hopefully would have been able to add to his limited arsenal with more summer work. Good luck in Croatia.
shoparound
Four Star Recruit

Post by shoparound »

Oregon needs to investigate who on staff has been giving these guys bad advice to leave as soon as they can.
King and Wooten's stock had only started to heat up and was nowhere near ready in their potential.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

shoparound wrote:Oregon needs to investigate who on staff has been giving these guys bad advice to leave as soon as they can.
King and Wooten's stock had only started to heat up and was nowhere near ready in their potential.
I'd say it's likely not someone on staff since they appear to mainly be hands off when it comes to players' career decisions. I'd look at family/friends/agents as the likely culprits.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

greenyellow wrote:
shoparound wrote:Oregon needs to investigate who on staff has been giving these guys bad advice to leave as soon as they can.
I'd say it's likely not someone on staff since they appear to mainly be hands off when it comes to players' career decisions. I'd look at family/friends/agents as the likely culprits.
Absolutely. Unsavory agents scraping to make a buck as well. Again, it probably came down to providing for his family, as there was zero chance of being drafted. He may make good money overseas, and that may have been his goal. If he makes an NBA roster later...Was funny with Portland radio commenters on all three, if they would like if Portland drafted any of these three, the consensus was an overwhelming no. Can’t say I disagree.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

How many underclassman entered the draft and went undrafted? We've got 2 in King and Wooten and it would be really interesting to see how many ended up making "bad" decisions so to speak.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

I guess it would be nice if there could be a silver lining to what happened (or didn't happen) to Bol, King and Wooten regarding the draft yesterday. Like Duck recruits who imagine they are one-and-done perhaps will think a little harder after their freshman year whether that's really the best decision for them. Or perhaps the one-and-done types won't come to Oregon as much and good to very good players will actually stick around 2-3 years and be developed and Oregon/Altman can consistently build great teams with players that fans can get attached to.

I really want to see a rule change where if you're good enough to be drafted right out of high school, even if for just the G league, then fine, off you go. But if you're committing to a university, then you need to stay for 2-3 years.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Anyone think of this from the angle of Dana might be doing so well in effectively using his players' talents that these guys are over-estimating their own abilities? Just a thought.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

So far, under Altman, his players have generally outplayed their draft position. What are the chances that three guys would go in the second round and all three (Bell, Brooks, Dorsey) are still in the league three years later? Damyean Dotson is also doing well, and Chris Boucher is a 2X NBA champion after going undrafted. So maybe the real way to look at this is that the players know that Altman coaches them up, but the league is slow to catch on.

Everyone knew King and Wooten were making a mistake, and Bol was taking a big risk. I'm sure Altman would have said the same. It's too bad the undrafted guys can't come back to school.