MBB: #14 Oregon vs #13 Memphis (Tues 6 PM ESPN)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Re: MBB: #14 Oregon vs #13 Memphis (Tues 6 PM ESPN)

Post by greenyellow »

Big win for Oregon. Not the prettiest of games from them but you can see the potential of this team.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Well, the announcers loved them some Memphis, but the better team won. Great job, Ducks! The only reason Memphis stayed in this game is because they were bigger. Well, wait until Dante is ready to go. Oregon is going to be a problem for a lot of teams.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

OregonFan4Life wrote:What an awesome win! Without Dante too. When was the last time Oregon won an early non-conference game like this against a ranked team? Clearly some things to work on, mainly turnovers, defensive rebounding/blocking out, and free throws, but this team has a lot of potential especially with Dante coming in soon! I think I was wrong about this team after the season opener. It also feels good to see the offensive clicking so early. Anyone else remember the Baylor game last season?
I will echo that, an awesome win for sure. The team has really come together as fast as I can remember an Altman team doing, rotation is deep. They definitely need to work on the free throws, usually a hallmark of Oregon teams. Already this season I see significant improvement in Okoro, passing and shooting, as well as defense.
Bighonkingduck
Three Star Recruit

Post by Bighonkingduck »

Altman>BadPenny
Quietduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Quietduck »

I felt the announcers were so in love with Memphis that they forgot they were playing basketball. To listen to them talk we got blown out by the best non-NBA team in the world, And that Memphis's coaches cheating really didn't matter.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Quietduck wrote:I felt the announcers were so in love with Memphis that they forgot they were playing basketball. To listen to them talk we got blown out by the best non-NBA team in the world, And that Memphis's coaches cheating really didn't matter.
Absolutely, ESPN in love with their #1 recruit. They just showed the quick highlights and there were literally twice as many Memphis highlights as Oregon. Plus the post highlights talk was 100% Wiseman and why Memphis lost, nothing about Oregon.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Clutch shots from PP. No fear against Wiseman on that 3 ball.

Saw some talk around here that Lawson might RS this year, but he's our best freshman at the moment. He tries to dribble too much in the paint on offense, but otherwise he has a really good understanding of the game.

Patterson is going to be mercurial all year. Guy could score 25 in a game no problem and then go like 1-6 with 4 TO's in the next, and we're going to have just take that and hope he listens to Altman long term. Oozes talent though.

I thought coming into this season, based on the #'s Turnovers and FT's would be the big concerns. They were the reason we didn't win this by 15-20. Juiston and Okoro in particular need to spend a lot of time shooting extra ones.

Defense was pretty solid, honestly. Memphis didn't run great offense and couldn't shoot, but we didn't give them much easy. Will Richardson is such a good defender.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

GrantDuck wrote:Clutch shots from PP. No fear against Wiseman on that 3 ball.

Saw some talk around here that Lawson might RS this year, but he's our best freshman at the moment. He tries to dribble too much in the paint on offense, but otherwise he has a really good understanding of the game.

Patterson is going to be mercurial all year. Guy could score 25 in a game no problem and then go like 1-6 with 4 TO's in the next, and we're going to have just take that and hope he listens to Altman long term. Oozes talent though.

I thought coming into this season, based on the #'s Turnovers and FT's would be the big concerns. They were the reason we didn't win this by 15-20. Juiston and Okoro in particular need to spend a lot of time shooting extra ones.

Defense was pretty solid, honestly. Memphis didn't run great offense and couldn't shoot, but we didn't give them much easy. Will Richardson is such a good defender.

Good observations!
Interesting that I was seeing a ton of Duck stuff retweeted by Dante up until about mid October. Since that time he has taken down his Oregon photo and has not retweeted any pro Oregon stuff. I just have a feeling that guy is not going to play for us this year.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

Walker is pressing big time. You can see it as soon as he gets on the floor. He needs to calm down and settle in a little bit. He will be fine.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

northbeachsf wrote:Walker is pressing big time. You can see it as soon as he gets on the floor. He needs to calm down and settle in a little bit. He will be fine.
He reminds me of both Jordan Bell and Kenny Wooten: ultra-athletic forwards who try to do a bit much and get themselves in foul trouble.
mattc94
Four Star Recruit

Post by mattc94 »

I love having two good PG's in Pritchard and Richardson and the offensive depth of putting Mathis, Duarte or Patterson out on the floor. Coach Altman was right. This is a deep team. I think the missing piece is Dante. He gets in and the front court will be scary.
justducky0
Senior

Post by justducky0 »

What I saw last night -

Memphis has more raw talent than Oregon by far. BUT Altman has that team drilled much better than Penny.
Penny looked like he should still be coaching AAU. The announcers gave this away, they would talk on and on about the players on Memphis but would actually commentate or critique the Oregon team / play. Meaning they knew Memphis from a basketball standpoint was trash and not running anthing besides AAU ball while Oregon was actually running an offense and playing real team ball.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

-Reffing was awful
-Oregon kept Memphis in the game with lots of small mistakes (and turnovers)

Is Duarte OK?

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13