Looking Ahead To Seton Hall

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Kimber45
Three Star Recruit

Looking Ahead To Seton Hall

Post by Kimber45 »

Roster has four players who are at least 6" 10" including two at 7' 2".

I haven't seen a minute of Seton Hall play basketball but Okoro alone is going to have a hard time defending the low post against that sort of height.

Is Lawson the second 4 down low? Can Oregon defend against a good half court offense with height? So far I think that is Oregon's untested kryptonite.

Oregon might be able to out score Seton Hall with an up and down perimeter 3 offensive game but slashers getting to the hoop will be very contested.

I trust in Coach Altman but Seton Hall is a very different animal than Oregon has played thus far.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: Looking Ahead To Seton Hall

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Ya it'll be a tough game. Also Houston is a good rebounding team and plays physical. Although their height isn't as overwhelming, they should also be a good test.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Myles Powell is scarier than any of their big men.

Wofford beat them last year by stretching them out on defense.

They do have a lot of length, but outside of Gill, who is a good shot blocker/rebounder, their bigs are just OK.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

I think they will beat us.

Not being "negative" or whatever, I just think Seton Hall is a top 10 team this year after watching them against Michigan State and that Powell is better than Pritchard in the particular "matchup" of stars.

Will be fun to see where we are at against a team that will probably go far in March.
Kimber45
Three Star Recruit

Post by Kimber45 »

I'm not too invested into whether Oregon wins against Seton Hall in an early pre-conference tilt.

With only three returners, and a ton of new talent, I'm still trying to sort out how this team will develop before (hopefully) another NCCA tourney trip.

Guard play improved this year with the addition of Mathis. And so much wing talent surrounding Duarte, Juiston, Patterson, and Addison.

Walker and Lawson are also long athletic ball handlers. My favorite play so far this year is Lawson driving from the top of the key for a lay up.

Okoro is a great low post defender with maybe a reliable six foot offensive range.

I think Oregon is weak this year defensively underneath the basket. Seton Hall may expose this with their interior height. Perhaps not. Maybe the Oregon low post defense is better than I think. I do wistfully wish Oregon had another Jordon Bell prototype defender this year. But we don't.

Hopefully the Dante kid can pass his African American Gender Studies course, or Math 56, or whatever course is holding him back, to get qualified. He'd be a big help for sure.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Kimber45 wrote:
Hopefully the Dante kid can pass his African American Gender Studies course, or Math 56, or whatever course is holding him back, to get qualified. He'd be a big help for sure.
I think it's more of Dante is waiting for the NCAA to verify that Section b.123.abc.def doesn't interfere with Addendum 156C or Code 10.9.8.7.6.5, and has to wait to hear back from legal counsel their opinion on the Act of Foreign Students before requesting 14 more forms from Dante.
Kimber45
Three Star Recruit

Post by Kimber45 »

I think it's more of Dante is waiting for the NCAA to verify that Section b.123.abc.def doesn't interfere with Addendum 156C or Code 10.9.8.7.6.5, and has to wait to hear back from legal counsel their opinion on the Act of Foreign Students before requesting 14 more forms from Dante.
Whether it's academics or institutional racism against foreigners at the NCCA level I only wish the best for young Mr. Dante and hope he sees the court in December as is currently reported.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Rest assured the NCAA is diligently starting to stop thinking about the ramifications of action vs inaction, in this case, while minutely scrutinizing the quality of last weeks mani/pedi, whilst actively scratching their proverbial heads whilst urgently addressing the possibility that they may have been unequivocally correct in dropping all other considerations in order to expeditiously exonerate any players for top four teams currently on the Natty go to list, requiring immediate, and complete reset of all other investigations concerning issues of athletes attending lesser institutions.

This is, of course, in direct accordance with the defining mission statement of the formative council of the Founding Fathers of the NCAA.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Kimber45
Three Star Recruit

Post by Kimber45 »

Rest assured the NCAA is diligently starting to stop thinking about the ramifications of action vs inaction, in this case, while minutely scrutinizing the quality of last weeks mani/pedi, whilst actively scratching their proverbial heads whilst urgently addressing the possibility that they may have been unequivocally correct in dropping all other considerations in order to expeditiously exonerate any players for top four teams currently on the Natty go to list, requiring immediate, and complete reset of all other investigations concerning issues of athletes attending lesser institutions.

This is, of course, in direct accordance with the defining mission statement of the formative council of the Founding Fathers of the NCAA.
Gosh, I thought putting a man on the moon was hard but this NCAA stuff must be really out of this world. :lol:

To the Seton Hall tilt - should be a great game. Lots to like about this year's squad. The patented Altman press defense is way ahead of schedule, the offense can score in bunches, except when it doesn't, and the defense overall is very good.

I see how Oregon measures up to a team with actual trees in the paint as a basic measuring stick going forward.

Go Ducks!
Kimber45
Three Star Recruit

Post by Kimber45 »

Myles Powell is scarier than any of their big men.

They do have a lot of length, but outside of Gill, who is a good shot blocker/rebounder, their bigs are just OK.
Props for the accurate insight about Seton Hall.

Powell is definitely a great player but lacked the ability to finish at the end.

Oregon outrebounded SH on both offensive and defensive boards. SH got their blocks, and altered a bunch of shots in the paint, but Oregon blasted SH in scoring in the paint.

Damned impressive win to come back from 19.
Autzenoise
Five Star Recruit

Post by Autzenoise »

I feel different about this team. I have been excited about other teams, and knew Altman would do great things with what he has had but this team feels like something really special.

Man, do we all realize how lucky we are to have gotten Altman?

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
"Canzano is to sports, what Jerry Springer is to news…"
panamaslim
Two Star Recruit

Post by panamaslim »

How fortunate the Wizard of Wilbur (Nebraska) was the fourth or whatever choice to guide the Ducks. I'd say it worked out pretty well. Future HOF.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

panamaslim wrote:How fortunate the Wizard of Wilbur (Nebraska) was the fourth or whatever choice to guide the Ducks. I'd say it worked out pretty well. Future HOF.
How fortunate that some of the prospects ahead of Altman in the queue pointed at Dana and asked, "Have you thought him?"
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!