Shout Out to Payton Pritchard

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

RanDux
Senior

Shout Out to Payton Pritchard

Post by RanDux »

PP has come so far in the last 4 years, and even in the last year. In previous years I was often frustrated with he and his teammates simply passing the ball back and forth around the perimeter while they and their defenders stood around like statues. This year he is attacking the basket so much more, driving into the teeth of the defense and either getting a good shot off or passing to a teammate left open by a defender who has left his man to help defend the driving PP. It has made the team so much more fun to watch.

In previous years I thought that there was no way PP would have a chance at the NBA. Now I think that he has a good shot. He may or may not get drafted, but I think some team or teams will take a long hard look at him. I certainly hope so.

I think PP is a great example of the benefit of staying in college rather than declaring for the draft after a year or two. No way would PP have had a chance at the next level if he had bolted for the NBA after a year or two. Staying under the tutorship of a quality coach like Altman is indispensable towards preparing these still developing young men.

Kudos to you, PP! You have poured your heart and soul into the University of Oregon, and we have been privileged to have you. You have been a treat to watch as you have developed into both a fine young man and an outstanding player!
ICamel
Two Star Recruit

Re: Shout Out to Payton Pritchard

Post by ICamel »

I'm thinking Payton took to heart what his NBA evaluation told him what he needed to work on.
bigsugarduck
Five Star Recruit

Post by bigsugarduck »

PP has been great so far this year and was trending waaaaay up in the last part of last year! He absolutely puts pressure on the D with that relentless driving, but ultimately he's been making good decisions. At first he seems reckless, but it almost always ends up being a good play for the team.

Just out of curiosity (for those who watched PP in high school), what was it about him that made him so great in HS? I recall heading about him as early as a HS soph but never knew what his calling card was back then...
Stewart Mandel-"From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I much prefer to watch a good spread-rushing offense over a traditional Power-I offense, and Oregon's has been the most fun by far for the past several years. It's fast, its precise, and when Chip Kelly has the right quarterback (Dixon, Masoli) at the helm, the possibility of someone ripping off a 60-yard run exists on nearly every play."
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

bigsugarduck wrote:PP has been great so far this year and was trending waaaaay up in the last part of last year! He absolutely puts pressure on the D with that relentless driving, but ultimately he's been making good decisions. At first he seems reckless, but it almost always ends up being a good play for the team.

Just out of curiosity (for those who watched PP in high school), what was it about him that made him so great in HS? I recall heading about him as early as a HS soph but never knew what his calling card was back then...
I’ve seen and known who he was before HS or as soon as his freshman year. Fuzzy on the dates, but my GFs parents at the time lived in the neighborhood. Just always the best player on the court by a transcendent margin. Not uncommon for elite Oregon kids to look like that. Well rounded talent. You could tell he was a D1 player right away: could shoot, pass, dribble, defend, and had good athleticism. There are so few kids in Oregon that are legit college prospects ones as good as PP get noticed right away. It didn’t hurt that he was in such a well run and supported program like WL.
OG Duck
Two Star Recruit

Post by OG Duck »

I watched a few West Linn games with PP on the court. He was deadly from deep and could easily blow by defenders for layups. Opposing ball handlers had a tough time with his on-ball pressure. From day 1, he demonstrated a relentless work rate while on the floor. He also demonstrated leadership as an underclassman. I'm a bit surprised by how low his 3pt percentage has been in college given how he shot in HS, but he does habitually put up 25 footers and take end-of-shotclock bail out shots, so it makes sense.