Some early KenPom #s after Atlantis

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

GrantDuck
Senior

Some early KenPom #s after Atlantis

Post by GrantDuck »

Good:
-We are 8th nationally in offensive efficiency. This would tie our -Joe Young/Mike Moser 2014 team for best in Altman era
-For a team with a lot of new pieces and playing 3 freshman a lot, we are 30th best in to's.
-our offensive rebounding is good
-our 3 pt shooting and 3 pt defense is good (even with see major lapses against Gonzaga/Seton Hall

Ugly:
-FT shooting is embarrassing. 283rd in the country.
Long term we cannot have guys like Juiston and Okoro on the floor down the stretch in games. If you're a scholarship player who can't hit 60%+ from the foul line, you are simply not working hard enough at them. (There's studies about this).
Even PP is only at 70% this year. I do think the freshman can improve here, as they get their game legs under them.

-We are 308 nationally in having our shot blocked! IMO this is mostly again about our bigs finishing sloppy/soft. Juiston needs a headfake, a ball fake, more elevation,something!

The good news is CJ walker doesn't have this problem and is going to get more minutes and Dante is a very big guy.

- We are 323rd nationally giving up offensive rebounds. We miss so many blockouts it makes me sick. Juiston and Richardson are the only 2 players on the team that consistently box out. This is Altman's biggest flaw as a coach, consistently.

Good news is, Dante is an absolute monster on the boards. It might be his biggest + skill in the NBA.

Long story, Dante is going to cover up some of these flaws, but collectively, from Pritchard down, we need to be shooting thousands of free throws.
Merganzer
Senior

Re: Some early KenPom #s after Atlantis

Post by Merganzer »

GrantDuck wrote:Good:

Long story, Dante is going to cover up some of these flaws, but collectively, from Pritchard down, we need to be shooting thousands of free throws.
Absolutely, and have them all study tapes of Steph Curry, Steve Nash, Mark Price, maybe Rick Barry.
bellsduck
Senior
GM: Utah Jazz

Post by bellsduck »

I didn't need KenPom to tell me this team would be undefeated if we shot fts better and boxed out for rebounds.
I do like our defense early in the year compared to previous years.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I'm not really concerned with their FT shooting as I think that will improve for almost everyone. Pritchard is around a career 76% FT shooter, Duarte was an 80% FT shooter in JC, Juiston is more like a mid-50% FT shooter, Patterson shot around 78% in HS, Lawson shot around 70% in HS as a SR and Walker shot in the mid-60s to low-70s in HS and has greatly improved his shooting form.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Blocking out has definitely been a major issue with Altman coached teams. There have been two NCAA tournament games where Oregon lost simply because they didn’t block out late, and one may have cost Oregon a national championship. At this point I think it’d be good for Altman to hire an assistant who teaches big men how to rebound. Not only do I see the bigs not block out very much, they just don’t seem to put themselves in good positions to get the rebound. Maybe a good assistant could help with this.

This team has a lot of potential and this will be an exciting season! Even though the games hardly matter in the end it’s still tough to see our ducks lose to big national teams simply because of poor fundamentals like free throw shooting and not blocking out. Hopefully that was the last time they lose cause of that.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Biggest positive surprise on this team to me has been Chandler Lawson.

-He leads our team in shotblocking rate AND defensive rebounding rate.

-He gets at least 1 free dunk a game just running the floor hard.

-He also makes his FT's.