MBB: #14 Oregon @ Oregon State (Sat 7:30 PM Pac-12 Network)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Re: MBB: #14 Oregon @ Oregon State (Sat 7:30 PM Pac-12 Netwo

Post by greenyellow »

With Lawson struggling with a knee injury, the team was basically playing with 7 scholarship players for much of the 2nd half. Throw in what looked like injuries to Richardson and Duarte and this team was just not in great shape to finish this game. I'm sure Altman is a bit frustrated with how few players he's got playing available and how they've not been able to develop better chemistry yet. They really need to get the frontcourt guys (mainly Walker, Dante, and Okoro) and Richardson going to take the pressure off Pritchard and Duarte.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
droop10 wrote:To all the fools stating Altman should move on... please name me a current coach that is better that Oregon would realistically get. You are all insane. It’s like you all think Oregon is a top 10 basketball program with some storied history. Quickly going the spoiled football route.
Lol I never said Altman should move on, one person did. A couple posters make one valid and minor criticism of Altman and you lose your mind. I want Altman to stay but that doesn’t mean he’s beyond criticism, like every coach at Oregon. I will say this though, if Cristobal follows up the Rose Bowl win with how Altman followed up that Final Four appearance, fans will probably be calling for his head. I know we care more about football in Eugene but I do sense the slightest bit of basketball apathy and that scares me a bit.
Reading back a couple of responses (this one wasn’t directed to you) the way the sentences were structured made it seem they wanted Altman out, but I could also see the intent being they needed a change in the lineup. I could have misinterpreted what those folks were trying to say, and if so, that’s my bad. I’m not saying Altman is above any criticism, but many of the comments in this thread have been over the top. Overreactions to a couple of bad games in the middle of the season. There are no dominant teams this year. This team could absolutely still make a run if they get healthy and figure a few things out. They are still 18-6 with some big wins and close losses to top teams.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

mattc94 wrote:Just my own two cents. There has been way to much turnover the last few years. You need some roster retention with your key players. Talent isn't the only quality you need for success. But Altman never gets it any core multi year players. He gets to act like minder to an over hyped spoiled super recruit like Bol Bol or get kids who only stay long enough to agents or minders can get them legally ready for the draft. Hey. I understand that that's the system. The NCAA cash cow where the coaches are the only ones getting the payout... that's never going to get much study. Dana's staff is expected to get results. But I at least understand why these guys aren't jelling. They started playing other teams with more experience and winning through Payton's sheer will and great early three point shooting. But then they had to define their roles and low and behold... these guys don't play so well together. Pritchard said the amount of team mates he has had is "insane." And I get why he may just be passed being able to captain them at their various stages of development. Then you add injuries on top of that. I just get the feeling that he needs to move on and this team's 2020 ceiling just isn't that high. Maybe the good thing is that Walker, Duarte and Dante. They haven't really been good enough to have much pro potential at all. So the chances they do stay is greater.
Usually don't call other posters out in this manner, but saying this about Bol is complete and utter horse s*** and you have no idea what you're talking about. Bol got hurt. For the 9 games he played he was our best player and one of the better players we've ever seen at Oregon offensively. Altman said he was one of the hardest working players on the team.

You're not wrong about continuity, although I do think Duarte and PP are both pros. Dante is as well.
Last edited by GrantDuck on Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

This isn’t on Altman. Even though Okoro and Dante don’t fill stat sheets, any block out could have made a difference. Duarte disappears again in the second half, and both Richardson and Mathis were non-factors, which happens often. PP can only do so much. But Altman isn’t bricking shots, or leaving players wide open. With his track record, I feel pretty confident he had a good game plan, and with what he had to work with, it just wasn’t executed correctly. Sheet, how many freaking shots were missed again inside of 4 feet? They are missing bunnies, at a ridiculous rate. Not on Altman.
mattc94
Four Star Recruit

Post by mattc94 »

GrantDuck wrote:
mattc94 wrote:Just my own two cents. There has been way to much turnover the last few years. You need some roster retention with your key players. Talent isn't the only quality you need for success. But Altman never gets it any core multi year players. He gets to act like minder to an over hyped spoiled super recruit like Bol Bol or get kids who only stay long enough to agents or minders can get them legally ready for the draft. Hey. I understand that that's the system. The NCAA cash cow where the coaches are the only ones getting the payout... that's never going to get much study. Dana's staff is expected to get results. But I at least understand why these guys aren't jelling. They started playing other teams with more experience and winning through Payton's sheer will and great early three point shooting. But then they had to define their roles and low and behold... these guys don't play so well together. Pritchard said the amount of team mates he has had is "insane." And I get why he may just be passed being able to captain them at their various stages of development. Then you add injuries on top of that. I just get the feeling that he needs to move on and this team's 2020 ceiling just isn't that high. Maybe the good thing is that Walker, Duarte and Dante. They haven't really been good enough to have much pro potential at all. So the chances they do stay is greater.
Usually don't call other posters out in this manner, but saying this about Bol is complete and utter horse s*** and you have no idea what you're talking about. Bol got hurt. For the 9 games he played he was our best player and one of the better players we've ever seen at Oregon offensively. Altman said he was one of the hardest working players on the team.

You're not wrong about continuity, although I do think Duarte and PP are both pros. Dante is as well.
Literally said nothing about Bol's character or general personality. He seems proud to be a Duck and has done well in the G league. But that due to his massive recruitment and celeb status, he got the reputation for being a bit of a diva. I mean if your father was basketball legend, you're ranked above Zion Williamson and college and pros alike constantly are talking about your potential... Wow. I wouldn't mind getting that kind of "spoiled!" Also call me out all you want. I appreciate the candor. And I agree with you too that Duarte and Dante are eventual pros.. but just not this year. Dante has fallen off Nbadraft.net and I don't think Duarte was ever listed.
Last edited by mattc94 on Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

I don’t comment much on men’s BB and I have said this at least once every past seasons since the final four run. I am not a fan of recruiting for one and done’s. Doing so takes far too long for the team of young, mostly self Anointed, super stars to gel and play as a team. Also, many of them are a bust, yes, playing nine games as a Duck is a bust, playing your one year and announcing for the NBA only not to be drafted is a bust. As a fan it puts a real damper on the college sport, I lose interest. I don’t get to watch a player develop and anticipate the next season with them coming back....... as I have with Pritchard, Herbert, Mariota, LaMike, and evening some Beavs like Payton, AC, Sitton...... I still do not think one and done is the correct approach, build and mature a team!
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

droop10 wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
droop10 wrote:To all the fools stating Altman should move on... please name me a current coach that is better that Oregon would realistically get. You are all insane. It’s like you all think Oregon is a top 10 basketball program with some storied history. Quickly going the spoiled football route.
Lol I never said Altman should move on, one person did. A couple posters make one valid and minor criticism of Altman and you lose your mind. I want Altman to stay but that doesn’t mean he’s beyond criticism, like every coach at Oregon. I will say this though, if Cristobal follows up the Rose Bowl win with how Altman followed up that Final Four appearance, fans will probably be calling for his head. I know we care more about football in Eugene but I do sense the slightest bit of basketball apathy and that scares me a bit.
Reading back a couple of responses (this one wasn’t directed to you) the way the sentences were structured made it seem they wanted Altman out, but I could also see the intent being they needed a change in the lineup. I could have misinterpreted what those folks were trying to say, and if so, that’s my bad. I’m not saying Altman is above any criticism, but many of the comments in this thread have been over the top. Overreactions to a couple of bad games in the middle of the season. There are no dominant teams this year. This team could absolutely still make a run if they get healthy and figure a few things out. They are still 18-6 with some big wins and close losses to top teams.
You’re spot on about overreacting, I’ll admit I am, but I can’t help it but to overreact when I see my ducks go play lackluster in Corvallis and lose to the Beavs and I have to hear those hicks chant “little brother” at Oregon. I don’t know about this team, maybe they will make a run like last year’s team, I just don’t think they’re very good players and I see some mental weakness from them. But Altman can find a way, that’s for sure. I would like to once again see continuity and a team play strong for an entire season, not just rely on a late season run.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

greenyellow wrote:Oregon really needs to get healthy since they're playing such a short rotation with no true center. Something is just off with the entire team as they'll get a big lead and then lose all intensity and focus. It's happened the past 2 games in the 2nd half and I'm really beginning to wonder why Altman doesn't seem to be doing much to get them going again.

Occam's razor says that after playing about 38 minutes a game this season, Pritchard has hit the wall. Shooting is definitely affected by tired legs, Pritchard is 12-42 29%, the last two games. Early in the season he was enough to cover the glaring deficiencies that are exposed now; and because Pritchard is off, the lack of production from the other players is magnified. I don't now if there is much Altman can do.
duck58
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck58 »

Duck07 wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
Bigwaved wrote:The Ducks have a good basketball team...Graves coaches it.
Not to criticize Altman but Graves > Altman. That women’s team plays so brilliant, reminds me of Pop’s Spurs back in 2014. Love what Graves has been doing.
I'm sure if Altman had 2 future #1 picks this team would look differently too.
And Sabrina and Ruthy are now in their 4th year of playing together; Satou in 3rd. I wonder what this team would look like if Bol and Louis King would have come back for another year. Most girls don't leave early for big bucks. I understand the really big bucks aren't there like the men. Pritchard has had to learn to play with a different group almost every year. The only criticism I might make of Altman is he may need to learn coaching with one and dones(you notice I said maybe). Most people thought this would be dumpster year until Altman went and did the recruiting he did. Before that I bet most thought we wouldn't even come close to 20 wins or make NCAA. Now we are 18-6 with talented freshmen who haven't developed as quickly as we want and injuries to our only real big men.
duck58
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck58 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
droop10 wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
You’re spot on about overreacting, I’ll admit I am, but I can’t help it but to overreact when I see my ducks go play lackluster in Corvallis and lose to the Beavs and I have to hear those hicks chant “little brother” at Oregon. I don’t know about this team, maybe they will make a run like last year’s team, I just don’t think they’re very good players and I see some mental weakness from them. But Altman can find a way, that’s for sure. I would like to once again see continuity and a team play strong for an entire season, not just rely on a late season run.
So they win one BB game. We will dominate them for years in FB and most of time in BB again. With Pat Casey gone, Thay are dropping in BB, so we could pass them there. We will dominate them in WBB and now again in SB, since ML is putting it together. So, maybe our fans should have Chanted "little sister" at the WBB games. No! Show more class.
shoparound
Four Star Recruit

Post by shoparound »

duck58 wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
droop10 wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
So they win one BB game. We will dominate them for years in FB and most of time in BB again. With Pat Casey gone, Thay are dropping in BB, so we could pass them there. We will dominate them in WBB and now again in SB, since ML is putting it together. So, maybe our fans should have Chanted "little sister" at the WBB games. No! Show more class.
Well this is just silly, have you seen what a disaster baseball has been? And they basically hired Horton 2.0 as the next coach.
duck58
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck58 »

shoparound wrote:
duck58 wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
droop10 wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
Well this is just silly, have you seen what a disaster baseball has been? And they basically hired Horton 2.0 as the next coach.
My point is that is the only sport the Beavs have dominated us and been good at recently. Pat Casey had a lot to do with it, as his absence last year showed. Not sure about future of Duck baseball but I project Beaver baseball will tumble. I prefer softball anyway. We will be better than Beavs in all other big sports; FB, MBB, WBB, SB, and probably VB. And more importantly, don't let Beaver fans get under your skin. They rarely have anything to get excited about.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

A few general replies:

1. We OWE Colorado and Oregon State. Hopefully Wright isn't allowed to dry hump and grab Pritcahrd all game again.

2. Zion was ranked #2, Bol #4, but yes Bol was highly ranked and due to injury did not have an overall contribution to the program. I just hate the Canzano narrative that we shouldn't recruit one and done guys.

3. Speaking of overrated, who is the stupid GM that's going to draft Jaden McDaniels from UW?! I keep seeing him mocked in the top 10. I wouldn't touch him in the first round, especially with him getting 6 technicals this season.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

GrantDuck wrote:A few general replies:

1. We OWE Colorado and Oregon State. Hopefully Wright isn't allowed to dry hump and grab Pritcahrd all game again.

2. Zion was ranked #2, Bol #4, but yes Bol was highly ranked and due to injury did not have an overall contribution to the program. I just hate the Canzano narrative that we shouldn't recruit one and done guys.

3. Speaking of overrated, who is the stupid GM that's going to draft Jaden McDaniels from UW?! I keep seeing him mocked in the top 10. I wouldn't touch him in the first round, especially with him getting 6 technicals this season.
It has to be measurables/potential. His teammate, Isaiah Stewart, along with Nico Mannion, have had the best games against the Ducks this season. Not that how a player does against the Ducks determines their draft status, but Stewart showed passing ability, rebounding and athleticism in the game, while Mannion showed a great all around game as well.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Yeah, Stewart is a monster, deserves the hype.

Mannion I've watched a bunch this year and he's a great player.

McDaniels has measureables, but he has that attitude that a ton of kids that played for Romar and came out of Seattle had in the last 10 years. Guys like Wroten who never develop their skill and have lazy attitudes and just want to go to the NBA(where they fail.)

Something changed up there with the hoops scene, because you had guys like Brandon Roy, Doug Christie, Jamal Crawford, even Nate Robinson, who were absolute hard working grinders with a chip on their shoulders, now everyone seems spoiled as hell and entitled.

Oregon has been lucky to not have many of those kids outside of Jabari Brown(who wasn't from the state).