MBB: #14 Oregon @ Oregon State (Sat 7:30 PM Pac-12 Network)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

droop10
Five Star Recruit

Re: MBB: #14 Oregon @ Oregon State (Sat 7:30 PM Pac-12 Netwo

Post by droop10 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:I know this is a no criticize Altman zone but damn he did not build off the success of the Final Four team very much.
Rinse and repeat. You spend this part of the year bitching about Altman every single year and then retract your statement in March and say you’ll never doubt him again. Yet we know at the first sign of a struggle you’ll be back at it the next season.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

droop10 wrote:You all are so dramatic about an 18-6 team. They’re playing very shorthanded with no true big man. Lawson and Juiston are being forced to play the 5 and neither is that. Pritchard looks like he has tired legs. Having to play nearly the entire game every game could be taking a toll. That said, just not a lot of guys that can create their own shot. I’ll reserve judgment until Dante gets back and gets a few more games of experience. Tired of losing to shitty OSU teams though.
Losing in Corvallis and hearing this hicks chant “little brother” at Oregon will always make me super dramatic.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

They're shorthanded but the guys we're missing have not been good. The reality is our post players are a glaring weakness. Our guard play is really good, but with no answers up front this team has a pretty low ceiling. Sweet sixteen if everything breaks perfectly, but probably we don't make it out of the first weekend.
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

droop10 wrote:You all are so dramatic about an 18-6 team. They’re playing very shorthanded with no true big man. Lawson and Juiston are being forced to play the 5 and neither is that. Pritchard looks like he has tired legs. Having to play nearly the entire game every game could be taking a toll. That said, just not a lot of guys that can create their own shot. I’ll reserve judgment until Dante gets back and gets a few more games of experience. Tired of losing to shitty OSU teams though.
The women played last season with eight and often with seven players.

Yes, Pritchard is tired. How could he not be?

Goooo Ducks!
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

droop10 wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:I know this is a no criticize Altman zone but damn he did not build off the success of the Final Four team very much.
Rinse and repeat. You spend this part of the year bitching about Altman every single year and then retract your statement in March and say you’ll never doubt him again. Yet we know at the first sign of a struggle you’ll be back at it the next season.
Nah I never said I’d not criticize him, last year’s run was fun but for most of the season the team looked bad and it was a fun scrappy Sweet Sixteen finish. When Altman took over the program it was in a bad state, so he was right to go after grad transfers just to get competitive teams, but he finally worked his way up to a Final Four run and it seemed like it was time to make the next step, and so far we’ve seen an NIT team, a Sweet Sixteen scrappy team that had to dig deep late to get that, and this team that as of now doesn’t look like a team that will make it past the second round. Fact is, Altman has not built off the Final Four success well at all, and if you disagree please feel free to present an argument, cause criticizing me doesn’t seem like a good way to express support for Altman.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Oregon really needs to get healthy since they're playing such a short rotation with no true center. Something is just off with the entire team as they'll get a big lead and then lose all intensity and focus. It's happened the past 2 games in the 2nd half and I'm really beginning to wonder why Altman doesn't seem to be doing much to get them going again.
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

greenyellow wrote:Oregon really needs to get healthy since they're playing such a short rotation with no true center. Something is just off with the entire team as they'll get a big lead and then lose all intensity and focus. It's happened the past 2 games in the 2nd half and I'm really beginning to wonder why Altman doesn't seem to be doing much to get them going again.
Indeed. Maybe he has gotten tired too. Might be change time. I don't know but something is missing.
shoparound
Four Star Recruit

Post by shoparound »

Wow what a disappointment...
What is PP’s record against the beavs.
The team just doesn’t get fired up for the civil war and it always costs them at the end
panamaslim
Two Star Recruit

Post by panamaslim »

Sabrina was behind the Oregon bench. Was hoping some of that magic would rub off. I'd be extremely happy with a S16 this year. If only we could have a group that stays together 2-3 years. Crucial.
mattc94
Four Star Recruit

Post by mattc94 »

Just my own two cents. There has been way to much turnover the last few years. You need some roster retention with your key players. Talent isn't the only quality you need for success. But Altman never gets it any core multi year players. He gets to act like minder to an over hyped spoiled super recruit like Bol Bol or get kids who only stay long enough to agents or minders can get them legally ready for the draft. Hey. I understand that that's the system. The NCAA cash cow where the coaches are the only ones getting the payout... that's never going to get much study. Dana's staff is expected to get results. But I at least understand why these guys aren't jelling. They started playing other teams with more experience and winning through Payton's sheer will and great early three point shooting. But then they had to define their roles and low and behold... these guys don't play so well together. Pritchard said the amount of team mates he has had is "insane." And I get why he may just be passed being able to captain them at their various stages of development. Then you add injuries on top of that. I just get the feeling that he needs to move on and this team's 2020 ceiling just isn't that high. Maybe the good thing is that Walker, Duarte and Dante. They haven't really been good enough to have much pro potential at all. So the chances they do stay is greater.
Last edited by mattc94 on Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
droop10 wrote:
Nah I never said I’d not criticize him, last year’s run was fun but for most of the season the team looked bad and it was a fun scrappy Sweet Sixteen finish. When Altman took over the program it was in a bad state, so he was right to go after grad transfers just to get competitive teams, but he finally worked his way up to a Final Four run and it seemed like it was time to make the next step, and so far we’ve seen an NIT team, a Sweet Sixteen scrappy team that had to dig deep late to get that, and this team that as of now doesn’t look like a team that will make it past the second round. Fact is, Altman has not built off the Final Four success well at all, and if you disagree please feel free to present an argument, cause criticizing me doesn’t seem like a good way to express support for Altman.
Hard to build off it when you have to replace the entire team every year. He has pulled in the top 2 recruiting classes in school history, which is one way to build off it. That scrappy sweet 16 team lost the top recruit in school history 8 games into the season and still managed to nearly beat the eventual national champs. The NIT team was coming off a year where they lost 4 starters to the NBA and essentially only brought back Pritchard. Altman is the most successful coach in school history and I don’t know who people think would replace him and get even comparable results. This board overreacts to every lull the team hits midseason. It evened happened the final four year. Maybe just let it play out rather than criticizing one of arguably the top 5 coaches in college basketball right now?
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

To all the fools stating Altman should move on... please name me a current coach that is better that Oregon would realistically get. You are all insane. It’s like you all think Oregon is a top 10 basketball program with some storied history. Quickly going the spoiled football route.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

droop10 wrote:To all the fools stating Altman should move on... please name me a current coach that is better that Oregon would realistically get. You are all insane. It’s like you all think Oregon is a top 10 basketball program with some storied history. Quickly going the spoiled football route.
Lol I never said Altman should move on, one person did. A couple posters make one valid and minor criticism of Altman and you lose your mind. I want Altman to stay but that doesn’t mean he’s beyond criticism, like every coach at Oregon. I will say this though, if Cristobal follows up the Rose Bowl win with how Altman followed up that Final Four appearance, fans will probably be calling for his head. I know we care more about football in Eugene but I do sense the slightest bit of basketball apathy and that scares me a bit.
mattc94
Four Star Recruit

Post by mattc94 »

droop10 wrote:To all the fools stating Altman should move on... please name me a current coach that is better that Oregon would realistically get. You are all insane. It’s like you all think Oregon is a top 10 basketball program with some storied history. Quickly going the spoiled football route.
Yeah. I don't understand where this is coming from either. He's probably the greatest men's basketball coach that will ever coach here. A HOFer. And I mean, Roy Williams hasn't gotten much out of his team. Are they burning him down in Chapel Hill?! We have Jalen Terry, Eugene Omoruyi (who I guess is a monster) and Eric Williams Jr. coming in with whoever else. So maybe this team doesn't have that high a ceiling... we will survive.
Last edited by mattc94 on Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

If anyone can get the best out of this team it is Altman.