MBB: #14 Oregon @ Arizona State (Thur 6 PM ESPN)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Re: MBB: #14 Oregon @ Arizona State (Thur 6 PM ESPN)

Post by Tray Dub »

mattc94 wrote:I have grown kind of tired of watching the team this year.
This is the core thing to know about this season – this just isn't a fun team to watch. In a sense, all that matters in sports is whether it's been a fun season to root for your team. And this year, at least so far, I'm leaning towards no. I feel a looming sense that this team just isn't good enough. It's got exciting pieces, it's pulled out some nice wins, but when push comes to shove it feels like we're going to get beat before we accomplish anything. Curious whether you guys feel the same way.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Tray Dub wrote:
This is the core thing to know about this season – this just isn't a fun team to watch. In a sense, all that matters in sports is whether it's been a fun season to root for your team. And this year, at least so far, I'm leaning towards no. I feel a looming sense that this team just isn't good enough. It's got exciting pieces, it's pulled out some nice wins, but when push comes to shove it feels like we're going to get beat before we accomplish anything. Curious whether you guys feel the same way.
To be fair, I thought the same thing last year. Until our big run at the end of the year. So still hoping we click. We aren't quite meshing yet. I'm hoping we figure it out before end of the year tournaments.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Worst team to watch in the last several years is hands down the 2017-2018 team. That team was so painful to watch. Main thing holding this team back is not having the full team healthy and together for more than a few games and getting proper on-court development.
mattc94
Four Star Recruit

Post by mattc94 »

Lack of an effective rim protector who can bang around down low has been huge this year. A lot of our players have promising moments individually but standard front courr bruisers just knock them around and kick out the ball. I think that's part of the frustration. You'll see Walker or Lawson make a good move and then make a freshman mistake that end up with another possession or foul. I sometimes wonder how Altman's tenure would have gone (so far) if Felicio had gotten that waiver or Dante been okayed earlier. At least this team's front court might have been a different story until Dante went down. Juiston and Okoro have had good games but it's obvious that they get outclassed during 40 minutes of play. Although both seem to be great team mates and hard workers.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Tray Dub wrote:
I hate to agree but I do, I kinda knew last night they were gonna lose, I hope that doesn't make me a bad fan. I guess this team just lacks consistency, doesn't play as a team well, and lacks an emotional leader. This team would be so much better with Dillon Brooks, not just cause of his skillset, but in last night's game they needed that emotional leader who never gets intimidated and thinks they're going to win every game no matter the situation. Pritchard, as confident as he is, doesn't seem to have that leadership Brooks had, and Pritchard is also stuck with some mental midgets, I hate to say that. Richardson is the main issue, the dude is so skilled and has a ton of potential, but he is so easily intimidated. This team needs more mental toughness for sure, not sure who that falls on, but it's certainly lacking with this team.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
Tray Dub wrote:
I hate to agree but I do, I kinda knew last night they were gonna lose, I hope that doesn't make me a bad fan. I guess this team just lacks consistency, doesn't play as a team well, and lacks an emotional leader. This team would be so much better with Dillon Brooks, not just cause of his skillset, but in last night's game they needed that emotional leader who never gets intimidated and thinks they're going to win every game no matter the situation. Pritchard, as confident as he is, doesn't seem to have that leadership Brooks had, and Pritchard is also stuck with some mental midgets, I hate to say that. Richardson is the main issue, the dude is so skilled and has a ton of potential, but he is so easily intimidated. This team needs more mental toughness for sure, not sure who that falls on, but it's certainly lacking with this team.
This^^^^ is the difference between this season and the seasons before when Altman's team would turn it on in February. With those teams it was a matter of all the parts coming together & executing. This season the parts aren't there.
Early in the season PP was playing like a National POY candidate, and it covered the deficiencies. But in doing that he had to put so many minutes in that he is basically exhausted now, and the deficiencies are that much more glaring.
No shot blocker on defense, which has been a big part of the scheme defensively during the February runs, is not present on this team. In the game against ASU it became almost comical when the Press would force ASU in to a TO, but the Ducks would then give it right back, Obviously, the BIG is missing on offense as well. Against ASU, and for a lot of the season, the Ducks plan on offense is go down and shoot a 3. If the 3's don't go in they're in big trouble, and the offense resembles a football team trying to get something out of a broken play.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
Tray Dub wrote:

I have said this too much and I haven’t responded to many of the men’s BB threads, when we went to the final four we had a well seasoned and experienced team. I have bitched about the one and done players... it is always the same for Altman, failure or at least below expectations ..... build a team! Now I will shut up because with the last few teams I really don’t have enough there to pay attention..... or care