Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Sabally leaving for WNBA after the season

Post by Tray Dub »

Phenom
All Pac-12

Re: Sabally leaving for WNBA after the season

Post by Phenom »

Damn! She would have dominated next year.

Best of luck to her, though. She’s gonna be a great pro.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Isn't it weird for her to announce so long before the season is over?
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/2020/0 ... draft.html

She would have been queen of the PAC, but I expect she discussed this with everyone and made the best decision for herself. We are going to really miss her. Ouch.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I'm not that surprised since she'll be striking while the iron is hot and doesn't have to worry about not having Ruthy and Sabrina by her side. Team is going to be really young next year, with only Boley, Giomi, Yaeger, and Chavez returning as upperclassmen.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:Isn't it weird for her to announce so long before the season is over?
She said that part of the reason to do it now was because of how many people kept bringing it up with her.

Would have liked to see her stay, but her Earnings Potential isn't really increased by staying another year. Athletes have to make that decision. I think Zion just made more in this 1 year from his salary and endorsements than all of the WNBA players combined the last decade with 12 teams at a Max Cap of 1.3 M.

Of course, looking at it that way, the best option could be to stay in school and getting started on an advanced degree too.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

The WNBA just finalized a new contract dramatically increasing earning potential. Expect more early entries.

The proposed W.N.B.A. contract, which still must be approved by the league’s board of governors and the union’s membership, would enable top players to earn more than $500,000, about triple last season’s ceiling and far more than had ever seemed possible since the league’s first season in 1997.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/14/spor ... ement.html
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Good. Maybe she can get off the good game/bad game roller coaster now that this isn't affecting her. Time to get on a roll Satou! We need you at your best for the rest of your college career. No more games off...
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

greenyellow wrote:I'm not that surprised since she'll be striking while the iron is hot and doesn't have to worry about not having Ruthy and Sabrina by her side. Team is going to be really young next year, with only Boley, Giomi, Yaeger, and Chavez returning as upperclassmen.
Ya but we have that great recruiting class coming in. Don't count on Boley returning either, with the new WNBA contract she might just jump as well. The pros love someone who can come in and give instant offense without doing anything else but shoot, and we've seen her at times be able to do just that.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
panamaslim
Two Star Recruit

Post by panamaslim »

I wonder if Graves will do something unusual (for him) and bring in an elite transfer. I think we have just 3 upperclassmen returning.

I also have a suspicion (completely unfounded) that something is not going right with Nyara, with those 2 troublesome injuries. Get well, Nyara!
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Next to zero inside scoring returning but the real challenge for Oregon is losing about 70 percent of its rebounding.

While Oregon will return several excellent 3 point shooters, paint scoring might is a real question mark.

Rebounding though will be the real hole to fill. If Nyara plays next year and is at 80% of her pre-injury athleticism I have absolute faith we'll have at least one rebounder but she is going to need some real help from some of the other newbies like Prince or they are going to get pounded on the boards in the PAC-12 next year.

Kylee Watson is strong and athletic, originally I didn't think she'd be one of the first of the fab 5 to contribute, but due to need she may be the one.
Last edited by GrandpaDuck on Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

Floridaduck
High School Drop Out

Post by Floridaduck »

I don’t know. It’s college ball and turnover is part of it. I for one am excited about next year’s roster. It’s gonna be fun watching the staff meld these pieces into a cohesive unit. Nobody replaces the Goat, the Hammer, and the Unicorn but the Freshman class, the Sophs, and the upperclassmen are brimming with size and shooting ability. IMO there is no parallel in the rest of the Pac-12 I trust the staff will get the chemistry going in short order. Another PAC 12 contender at least.
bigsugarduck
Five Star Recruit

Post by bigsugarduck »

Floridaduck wrote:I don’t know. It’s college ball and turnover is part of it. I for one am excited about next year’s roster. It’s gonna be fun watching the staff meld these pieces into a cohesive unit. Nobody replaces the Goat, the Hammer, and the Unicorn but the Freshman class, the Sophs, and the upperclassmen are brimming with size and shooting ability. IMO there is no parallel in the rest of the Pac-12 I trust the staff will get the chemistry going in short order. Another PAC 12 contender at least.
Love the possibilities for next year....A starting lineup of Chavez, Shelley, Boley, Sabally (fingers crossed), Prince/Senior Giomi would be strong. Not to mention Winterburn +5 McDonalds All Americans. LOOKOUT! Might take a few lumps early, but could end in the top 10.
Stewart Mandel-"From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I much prefer to watch a good spread-rushing offense over a traditional Power-I offense, and Oregon's has been the most fun by far for the past several years. It's fast, its precise, and when Chip Kelly has the right quarterback (Dixon, Masoli) at the helm, the possibility of someone ripping off a 60-yard run exists on nearly every play."
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

This could really suck. Oregon goes from having its best chance at a championship yet the season could get cancelled and the following year will be a rebuilding year. Sabrina is not replaceable. You could have 5 good players and not equal one Sabrina. I also doubt whether Oregon will ever find another player like Hebard who is around a 70% shooter. I could take the rebuilding season if Sabrina and Hebard got one more shot at the title but rebuilding after a cancelled season would just suck!!!