Is Dante choosing to sit out?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

GrantDuck
Senior

Is Dante choosing to sit out?

Post by GrantDuck »

I keep reading these types of Altman comments:

“We’re just hoping," Oregon coach Dana Altman said. "We keep trying and he doesn’t think he’s ready. "

He's been medically cleared, he's practiced....starting to get concerned that he's just looking out for himself and the NBA at this point.

Though, I'm not sure he'd be drafted. I see a couple sites mocking him in in 2021, which makes more sense to me.
Last edited by GrantDuck on Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
rockthief
Senior

Re: Is Dante choosing to sit out?

Post by rockthief »

Cannot imagine him being drafted. Bad attitude does not go far.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

GrantDuck wrote:I keep reading these types of Altman comments:

“We’re just hoping," Oregon coach Dana Altman said. "We keep trying and he doesn’t think he’s ready. "

He's been medically cleared, he's practiced....starting to get concerned that he's just looking out for himself and the NBA at this point.

Though, I'm not sure he'd be drafted. I see a couple sites mocking him in in 2021, which makes more sense to me.
It certainly seems that way ffrom Altman’s comments over the past two weeks.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

I am wondering if he is holding himself out with a plan to try to make it to the NBA through the G-League. Nothing he has done at Oregon would suggest he is worth a draft pick. In the G-league he could develop while being paid. His height and agility are probably enough to get him a G-League contract.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

I hope this is not a wasted scholarship given to a selfish player.
Go Ducks!
bigsugarduck
Five Star Recruit

Post by bigsugarduck »

Damn....a lot of unfair conjecture here...wouldn't be so hasty to call out the kid yet.
Stewart Mandel-"From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I much prefer to watch a good spread-rushing offense over a traditional Power-I offense, and Oregon's has been the most fun by far for the past several years. It's fast, its precise, and when Chip Kelly has the right quarterback (Dixon, Masoli) at the helm, the possibility of someone ripping off a 60-yard run exists on nearly every play."
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

After watching the Bol Bol fiasco last season folks are gun shy.

I get it, it's hard to know what goes on in a kid's head, especially one as young as Dante, but some injuries can be a huge mental issue to overcome when rebuilding confidence in ones abilities.

Too bad ND hasn't shown real flashes of Bol's potential thus far.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

woundedknees wrote:After watching the Bol Bol fiasco last season folks are gun shy.

I get it, it's hard to know what goes on in a kid's head, especially one as young as Dante, but some injuries can be a huge mental issue to overcome when rebuilding confidence in ones abilities.

Too bad ND hasn't shown real flashes of Bol's potential thus far.

On the other hand is a pattern forming?
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

What was the Bol fiasco? He was a good young and well liked kid that had a legit injury. I don’t feel these are comparable at all.

But regarding Dante, are we surprised? Nick Bosa, Kawhi Leonard, these sorts things are becoming the norm with sports. It’s about the player not about the team. After that awesome commitment letter to his mom, I never thought I’d see this from Dante. Maybe he has a bad agent in his ear.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

OregonFan4Life wrote:What was the Bol fiasco? He was a good young and well liked kid that had a legit injury. I don’t feel these are comparable at all.

But regarding Dante, are we surprised? Nick Bosa, Kawhi Leonard, these sorts things are becoming the norm with sports. It’s about the player not about the team. After that awesome commitment letter to his mom, I never thought I’d see this from Dante. Maybe he has a bad agent in his ear.
Umm, it’s because of his family history why he would would do this. If he’s doing it at all.

Way too much to lose.
mattc94
Four Star Recruit

Post by mattc94 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:What was the Bol fiasco? He was a good young and well liked kid that had a legit injury. I don’t feel these are comparable at all.

If an agent is in his ear that's maybe the worst advice Dante could possibly get. He's slid off every draft board I can find. And he doesn't have the profile of Edwards or Ball, so it's not like he's going to have some magical desirability to NBA scouts. But nothing would suprise me any more.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

The Bol fiasco was knowing that BB was, at best, a one year deal, and due to his injury, never getting to see him blossom at the college level.

Given the mess created by the NCAA approval process, Dante was never given the opportunity to grow in the early going. That lack of development could well contribute to his lack a PT moving forward, whether this is his choice, or excessive caution.

If it's an agent/handler in his ear, they are doing the young man a disservice, IMO.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

ncduck
Senior

Post by ncduck »

The injury was/is real. Twisted up his knee and ended up with tendinitis. It's an injury that can easily be aggravated, so you just get stuck waiting for it to resolve. The hope is he'll be back soon, but they're going to take it slow on the return to protect him.

If he can get a little PT to work himself back into shape between now and the end of the conference tournament, he might just be fully ready to go in the dance, which is where we want him most.

I say, let's not screw around and rush him back and risk his health when we really need him most.

https://247sports.com/college/oregon/Ar ... 144006777/
ICamel
Two Star Recruit

Post by ICamel »

Dante expected to play against the Beavs
https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/2020/0 ... l-war.html