New Commit WBB

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

panamaslim
Two Star Recruit

New Commit WBB

Post by panamaslim »

6-6 juco (Kilgore TX) transfer Arielle Wilson will be eligible immediately. Video looks impressive with a lot of recent offers.

Strange how Altman and Graves seem to come up with surprising "finds" now and then.

Sorry, can't link. My Leading Edge computer doesn't know how!
gogreen55
Senior

Re: New Commit WBB

Post by gogreen55 »

https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/2020/0 ... tball.html

I haven't seen any of her highlights yet. Her lack of production (other than blocks, which is a good number considering low playing time) at the Juco level is bizarre. From the article...
Wilson, who has two years to play two, averaged 1.9 points, 2.4 rebounds and 1.9 blocks in 14 minutes per game last year.

But she feels that isn’t a complete picture of her talent, and she’s eager to show what she can do against elite competition in Eugene.

“When I go to Oregon, I do plan on playing and showing people my skillset," Wilson said. "With my height and skillset that I have, I haven’t been able to show it. Coach Graves has seen my highlights, he sees what I bring. When I go to Oregon everybody will finally see what I can do and what I bring to the basketball court.”
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

Here are highlights of her back in high school.

Last edited by gogreen55 on Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Seems strange to go after someone with such low stats at the JUCO level. Feels almost like he's just trying to get another body for some reason.
DuckNV
One Star Recruit

Post by DuckNV »

Her club team said this about her "With me, she averaged 15 points and 14 assists. This kid is the best big passer I’ve ever seen in my life. Oregon is about to find out. As soon as the ball touches her hands, she’s looking at who’s cutting backdoor." (from Duck Territory write up) Makes me wonder if the JUCO coach made her play strictly post. Her JUCO stats don't inspire confidence, but her HS stats for shooting, blocks, assists and rebounds are polar opposite.
panamaslim
Two Star Recruit

Post by panamaslim »

DuckNV: Thanks for the info. Encouraging to say the least. No expert, but I did see some things in that video that had me pumped.
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

I like her attitude. She is fired up to play to her skill level.
duck58
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck58 »

I've come to completely trust Altman and Graves. If they see something in a player it's probably there. I don't think he's just trying to fill the roster. He's aware of stats.
mattc94
Four Star Recruit

Post by mattc94 »

duck58 wrote:I've come to completely trust Altman and Graves. If they see something in a player it's probably there. I don't think he's just trying to fill the roster. He's aware of stats.
After he had been here a few years at Oregon. I found out that Altman had discovered Mitch Richmond at a small Missouri JC. I said to myself, "Yeah. He probably knows what he's doing from a basketball stand point." :lol:
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

greenyellow wrote:Seems strange to go after someone with such low stats at the JUCO level. Feels almost like he's just trying to get another body for some reason.
I'm guessing he knows what he's doing.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I'm sure Graves knows what he's doing, as well, but it's definitely weird seeing a JUCO player who averages 2pts/game get a scholarship offer.
duck58
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck58 »

gogreen55 wrote:Here are highlights of her back in high school.

Now we see the potential Graves saw. Maybe lack of proper coaching was problem at previous level. We'll see.
panamaslim
Two Star Recruit

Post by panamaslim »

She looks to have really quick reflexes, but at the same time always under control. Also somewhat physically strong, despite slender frame.
duck58
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck58 »

Just watched replays of UO vs USA and SDSU. GIOMI was more impressive than I realized the first time. Prince, Sabally, Boley, Giomi, Wilson, and one or both freshman show up and the front court looks pretty good. Adding Mikesell to the backcourt I believe puts us in the top 3 in the PAC next year.
panamaslim
Two Star Recruit

Post by panamaslim »

Duck58:

Certainly agree about Giomi. She's gotten better each year and as a senior may not "break out", but will have an important role on the team. She's smart. Valuable teammate in many ways.