OSU WBB PG Slocum transferring

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

bigsugarduck
Five Star Recruit

Re: OSU WBB PG Slocum transferring

Post by bigsugarduck »

Merganzer wrote:
With this bump, Oregon has 1/5 of the top 25 recruits next year. PaoPao jumping up the rankings (2nd highest for Oregon now) is another reason why Oregon does not need a ball dominant PG in Slocum...
Stewart Mandel-"From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I much prefer to watch a good spread-rushing offense over a traditional Power-I offense, and Oregon's has been the most fun by far for the past several years. It's fast, its precise, and when Chip Kelly has the right quarterback (Dixon, Masoli) at the helm, the possibility of someone ripping off a 60-yard run exists on nearly every play."
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

bigsugarduck wrote:
Merganzer wrote:
With this bump, Oregon has 1/5 of the top 25 recruits next year. PaoPao jumping up the rankings (2nd highest for Oregon now) is another reason why Oregon does not need a ball dominant PG in Slocum...
shoparound
Four Star Recruit

Post by shoparound »

bigsugarduck wrote:
Merganzer wrote:
The freshman class, including PaoPao, will still be raw next year. It took even Sabrina a good year to really establish herself. It will still be a rough year for the incoming players, as they aren't accustomed to Pac-12 play yet. Slocum, like Minyon Moore, will be seasoned already. Again though, with that said, I think it's a VERY slim chance she comes here.
panamaslim
Two Star Recruit

Post by panamaslim »

We may be shortchanging the rookies and the impact they'll have their first year. They are well aware of the Unfinished Business so eloquently stated by Sabrina and am sure are taking that mission very seriously. These five, plus the exciting possibilities of the other two "freshmen" who were already up close and personal with The Big Three, plus a great coach and staff, will surprise some folks. After a rough first half of the season and a 6 or 7 seed into the playoffs, we will be a team no one will want to play.

I'm looking at an Elite 8. Dare we say better?
duck58
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck58 »

panamaslim wrote:We may be shortchanging the rookies and the impact they'll have their first year. They are well aware of the Unfinished Business so eloquently stated by Sabrina and am sure are taking that mission very seriously. These five, plus the exciting possibilities of the other two "freshmen" who were already up close and personal with The Big Three, plus a great coach and staff, will surprise some folks. After a rough first half of the season and a 6 or 7 seed into the playoffs, we will be a team no one will want to play.

I'm looking at an Elite 8. Dare we say better?
rookies = #3 and 6 forwards; #2, 4, & ? guards. If just one forward and one guard can fit rotation we should be okay. After all the discussion I might have a change in my original view about Slocum. No way we would be as low as a 6 or 7 seed, even if we finish as low as 4 in PAC-12. This year Stanford would still be a #2, UCLA and UA would have been 3 or 4. We will be at least a 3 seed. If 1 or 2 rookies turnout to be terrific we could be at least Elite 8.
shoparound
Four Star Recruit

Post by shoparound »

It's great that there's excitement.
Unfortunate it's a ways away to see what happens :(
shoparound
Four Star Recruit

Post by shoparound »

gogreen55 wrote:I think the #1 thing that will determine the success, or lack of success, of the team next season is health. Injuries can derail any team, but there is more risk of injuries sabotaging this Oregon team since arguably the top 3 players all have injury issues. I include Chavez with Prince and Sabally Jr. since Chavez has missed games two years in a row with the same foot injury. They caught it early this past season so it didn't develop into a major issue, but will her body be able to hold up with the increased minutes and responsibilities she is going to have to shoulder next season? We have no idea how Prince and Sabally Jr. will hold up over the course of a season.

Another factor is the transfer the Ducks are hoping to add to the team. Until we know the caliber of player we bring in, we don't really know how good this team will be. There are going to be a lot more close games next season, so it won't take much to swing a significant number of games one way or the other.
I agree in the health issues. We already have several players who are injury prone in the roster, and Tehina coming in has already has huge injuries in her young career.
I do hope we can get an electric transfer, we may need someone to relieve pressure. We need a Joe Young type of player to come in.
duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Post by duckduckgoose »

I watched four or five Beav games this year and don’t think I would want Slocum on the roster. She’s pretty good for a half and then disappears during crunch time. I really think she carries too much weight to be effective a whole game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
panamaslim
Two Star Recruit

Post by panamaslim »

Injuries - even multiple injuries - are not uncommon with many teams. This group is stacked. Next man up. Ducks will be just fine. Thank you Rob Mullens: you're batting about .880.
duck58
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck58 »

shoparound wrote:It's great that there's excitement.
Unfortunate it's a ways away to see what happens :(
Yeah! But with everything shutdown all we can do is discuss hypothetical possibilities. I would like to be watching and discussing the softball team right now. Oh well.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

GrandpaDuck wrote:
duck58 wrote:The reason I think we should be favored in PAC next year is talent even if it is thought to be inexperienced by some. Prince has been with the team for a year, even though not playing. I believe she was a top 10 out of HS, higher than Ruthie. Nyara has been said to be at least as good if not better than Satou. Hope she can finally play. Graves says both will be future 1st round picks. Boley, who improved beyond a 3pt shooter, Chavez and Shelley all have experience. Giomi can back up Prince. If just 1 of 3 freshen guards and 1 of the 2 front players can contribute this team should be great. Shelley was a freshman last year. Hard to believe none of the 5* won't contribute.
Stanford returns two All-Pac-12 players, plus 2 All Freshmen team members plus Haley Jones the highest rated freshmen in the country last year who before her injury was on the way to the All freshmen team at minimum before she got hurt. 5 star Dotson only played like 10 games but was as strong a low post defender as Ruthie faced all year (forced her to unveil her secret 12 foot jumper in the CCG). They also have a few more 5 stars to back up those 6. They will be preseason Top 4 in the country and have a shot at being ranked number one with Harris at So Carolina graduating.

We love the potential of our unseen weapons but the people voting in the preseaon polls will go with the mix of game proven talent plus huge potential over just huge potential. Same with Arizona, All-Pac12 5 star Kate Reese to tag along with the returning Defensive player of the year and league scoring champion will put them near the top of the preseaon projections.