OSU WBB PG Slocum transferring

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

OSU WBB PG Slocum transferring

Post by greenyellow »

OSU has lost PG Destiny Slocum, who intends to look at potential graduate transfer options.
thomas time
Senior

Re: OSU WBB PG Slocum transferring

Post by thomas time »

big loss for them, any chance for ducks?
duck58
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck58 »

thomas time wrote:big loss for them, any chance for ducks?
I bet they are the leading candidate. Oregon should be favorites to win PAC-12 next year with Stanford a close 2nd. Even with a talented center and some others OSU could wind up in the middle of the standings again. Just like Minyon, it would be a good move for her personally.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

What does Slocum have to gain by transferring to UofO from OSU?
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Supposedly she's transferring because she wants to play her final season for a championship-level team and her relationship with Rueck was apparently strained because of him constantly reigning in her free-wheeling style of play.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

duck58 wrote:
thomas time wrote:big loss for them, any chance for ducks?
I bet they are the leading candidate. Oregon should be favorites to win PAC-12 next year with Stanford a close 2nd. Even with a talented center and some others OSU could wind up in the middle of the standings again. Just like Minyon, it would be a good move for her personally.
Interesting, I am predicting that the pre-season ranking will be Stanford by a mile, Arizona and I would have had OSU solidly above UO and in the top 3 if Slocum had stayed.

OSU would have been putting out 3 proven and experienced 5 stars with Goodman and other hi talent support. UO has potential but it is inexperienced and a good percent of high school 5 stars don't pan out. OSU's 3 (now 2) are proven legit.

For Slocum to do the Moore thing she would need to transfer to Stanford which isn't all that easy. She would be a key piece for them.
bigsugarduck
Five Star Recruit

Post by bigsugarduck »

greenyellow wrote:Supposedly she's transferring because she wants to play her final season for a championship-level team and her relationship with Rueck was apparently strained because of him constantly reigning in her free-wheeling style of play.
No Thanks! Count me as someone who thinks you can be good with that freewheeling style, but no where near great...Minyon added something to the team, Destiny I am afraid would detract...
Stewart Mandel-"From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I much prefer to watch a good spread-rushing offense over a traditional Power-I offense, and Oregon's has been the most fun by far for the past several years. It's fast, its precise, and when Chip Kelly has the right quarterback (Dixon, Masoli) at the helm, the possibility of someone ripping off a 60-yard run exists on nearly every play."
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

bigsugarduck wrote:
greenyellow wrote:Supposedly she's transferring because she wants to play her final season for a championship-level team and her relationship with Rueck was apparently strained because of him constantly reigning in her free-wheeling style of play.
No Thanks! Count me as someone who thinks you can be good with that freewheeling style, but no where near great...Minyon added something to the team, Destiny I am afraid would detract...
Supposedly Oregon is looking at bringing in a transfer but I think they would be looking for a big. I think Graves has a lot of faith in Chavez and Shelly and that one or more of the true Freshman guards will hit the ground running. Shelly was like a 5 star for international players.

I do disagree a bit and think Slocum would be a good player at Oregon and an overall plus contributor, but I doubt UO would be her 1st choice and vise versa. We shall she.
duck58
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck58 »

The reason I think we should be favored in PAC next year is talent even if it is thought to be inexperienced by some. Prince has been with the team for a year, even though not playing. I believe she was a top 10 out of HS, higher than Ruthie. Nyara has been said to be at least as good if not better than Satou. Hope she can finally play. Graves says both will be future 1st round picks. Boley, who improved beyond a 3pt shooter, Chavez and Shelley all have experience. Giomi can back up Prince. If just 1 of 3 freshen guards and 1 of the 2 front players can contribute this team should be great. Shelley was a freshman last year. Hard to believe none of the 5* won't contribute.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

No thanks. We don't need a ball hog. Attitude adjustment sorely needed on that one...
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

duck58 wrote:The reason I think we should be favored in PAC next year is talent even if it is thought to be inexperienced by some. Prince has been with the team for a year, even though not playing. I believe she was a top 10 out of HS, higher than Ruthie. Nyara has been said to be at least as good if not better than Satou. Hope she can finally play. Graves says both will be future 1st round picks. Boley, who improved beyond a 3pt shooter, Chavez and Shelley all have experience. Giomi can back up Prince. If just 1 of 3 freshen guards and 1 of the 2 front players can contribute this team should be great. Shelley was a freshman last year. Hard to believe none of the 5* won't contribute.
Stanford returns two All-Pac-12 players, plus 2 All Freshmen team members plus Haley Jones the highest rated freshmen in the country last year who before her injury was on the way to the All freshmen team at minimum before she got hurt. 5 star Dotson only played like 10 games but was as strong a low post defender as Ruthie faced all year (forced her to unveil her secret 12 foot jumper in the CCG). They also have a few more 5 stars to back up those 6. They will be preseason Top 4 in the country and have a shot at being ranked number one with Harris at So Carolina graduating.

We love the potential of our unseen weapons but the people voting in the preseaon polls will go with the mix of game proven talent plus huge potential over just huge potential. Same with Arizona, All-Pac12 5 star Kate Reese to tag along with the returning Defensive player of the year and league scoring champion will put them near the top of the preseaon projections.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

Stanford also signed two top 50 American players including Oregon prep Cameron Brink. Brink (#3) was several slots above any Duck signee in HoopGurlz rankings. They filled out the class with a top Australian player.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

GrandpaDuck wrote:
duck58 wrote:The reason I think we should be favored in PAC next year is talent even if it is thought to be inexperienced by some. Prince has been with the team for a year, even though not playing. I believe she was a top 10 out of HS, higher than Ruthie. Nyara has been said to be at least as good if not better than Satou. Hope she can finally play. Graves says both will be future 1st round picks. Boley, who improved beyond a 3pt shooter, Chavez and Shelley all have experience. Giomi can back up Prince. If just 1 of 3 freshen guards and 1 of the 2 front players can contribute this team should be great. Shelley was a freshman last year. Hard to believe none of the 5* won't contribute.
Stanford returns two All-Pac-12 players, plus 2 All Freshmen team members plus Haley Jones the highest rated freshmen in the country last year who before her injury was on the way to the All freshmen team at minimum before she got hurt. 5 star Dotson only played like 10 games but was as strong a low post defender as Ruthie faced all year (forced her to unveil her secret 12 foot jumper in the CCG). They also have a few more 5 stars to back up those 6. They will be preseason Top 4 in the country and have a shot at being ranked number one with Harris at So Carolina graduating.

We love the potential of our unseen weapons but the people voting in the preseaon polls will go with the mix of game proven talent plus huge potential over just huge potential. Same with Arizona, All-Pac12 5 star Kate Reese to tag along with the returning Defensive player of the year and league scoring champion will put them near the top of the preseaon projections.
Agreed. We only have to heed what Graves said about this year's team, "We'll never see this again", and how much certainty we have in thinking this team would have won it all, to understand that a significant drop is unavoidable.
No Sabrina, no Satou, no Ruthie. As good as the Fab 5 will be, expecting them to just keep the run going isn't realistic.
shoparound
Four Star Recruit

Post by shoparound »

I don't think there's a big chance, but I do think there's a chance she comes into UO.
She was always a flashy scorer, and OSU just never fit well for her. Plus it did seem that there was some distance between her and everyone else at OSU, as many could see, especially towards the end of the season.
I also remember there was some social media stuff that she posted (or someone else at osu's roster posted) that didn't seem to support one another.
duck58
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck58 »

Merganzer wrote:
GrandpaDuck wrote:

Agreed. We only have to heed what Graves said about this year's team, "We'll never see this again", and how much certainty we have in thinking this team would have won it all, to understand that a significant drop is unavoidable.
No Sabrina, no Satou, no Ruthie. As good as the Fab 5 will be, expecting them to just keep the run going isn't realistic.
I guess I have to concede Stanford should be ranked ahead of us. I knew they would be main competition.