WBB: #11 UCLA vs #8 Oregon (Sun 1 PM Pac-12 Network)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

WBB: #11 UCLA vs #8 Oregon (Sun 1 PM Pac-12 Network)

Post by greenyellow »

JAN 3 (SUN) 1 PM
UCLA
EUGENE, OR
TV: PAC-12 NETWORK
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Re: WBB: #11 UCLA vs #8 Oregon (Sun 1 PM Pac-12 Network)

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Early game. Toughest opponent of the year so far. I wonder if Prince, Parrish or Chavez play today?
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Ducks lose 73-71. Went on an 11-0 run down the stretch to tie it at 71, but botched the last few possessions. Would've liked the win but this kind of game experience for a young team is valuable regardless.
bigsugarduck
Five Star Recruit

Post by bigsugarduck »

Tray Dub wrote:Ducks lose 73-71. Went on an 11-0 run down the stretch to tie it at 71, but botched the last few possessions. Would've liked the win but this kind of game experience for a young team is valuable regardless.
True. Not a fan of how the game was called, which dramatically benefitted UCLA. So many non-calls when UCLA players mauled Oregon players. I'll never understand how one team can hand check, bump, and swat at everything, and yet roughly the same number of fouls are called on both teams. :roll: No biggie though, this team will rebound.
Stewart Mandel-"From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I much prefer to watch a good spread-rushing offense over a traditional Power-I offense, and Oregon's has been the most fun by far for the past several years. It's fast, its precise, and when Chip Kelly has the right quarterback (Dixon, Masoli) at the helm, the possibility of someone ripping off a 60-yard run exists on nearly every play."
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

bigsugarduck wrote:
Tray Dub wrote:Ducks lose 73-71. Went on an 11-0 run down the stretch to tie it at 71, but botched the last few possessions. Would've liked the win but this kind of game experience for a young team is valuable regardless.
True. Not a fan of how the game was called, which dramatically benefitted UCLA. So many non-calls when UCLA players mauled Oregon players. I'll never understand how one team can hand check, bump, and swat at everything, and yet roughly the same number of fouls are called on both teams. :roll: No biggie though, this team will rebound.
Glorified jr high refs. Get what you pay for...
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

Dugalic was awesome. If Prince isn't going to be much of a factor this season, the upside is that Dugalic will get more minutes, accelerating her development.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Oregon was bound to lose a game eventually but it sucks it happened while they were short-handed against a top-10 opponent like UCLA.
panamaslim
Two Star Recruit

Post by panamaslim »

Dugalic is a 6-star waiting to happen.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Dugalic is the only Duck that can somewhat guard UCLA's O21. Play her 35 minutes in the rematch.

An unfortunate night for Sabally to have her worse game. Couldn't shoot, missed a ton of rebounds and turnovers galore. She's entitled to an off game as she has been so consistently good, its just too bad her stinker game was against such a good team.

The freshmen are all growing, everyone of them has flashed this season in one game or another.
shoparound
Four Star Recruit

Post by shoparound »

Dugalic has been impressive, it's crazy to see she was the lowest rated recruit we had (but also shows how deep they are).

Team is still not razor sharp (as expected with so many newcomers), but they are growing and battling. UCLA wasn't expected to beat us, we have to return the favor to Stanford.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

shoparound wrote:Team is still not razor sharp (as expected with so many newcomers), but they are growing and battling. UCLA wasn't expected to beat us, we have to return the favor to Stanford.
Without Prince, it wasn't really much of an upset. The game was pretty much a tossup before it started, and it came down to the last possession. The current rankings don't take into account that Oregon is missing what was expected to be their best player.
shoparound
Four Star Recruit

Post by shoparound »

gogreen55 wrote:
shoparound wrote:Team is still not razor sharp (as expected with so many newcomers), but they are growing and battling. UCLA wasn't expected to beat us, we have to return the favor to Stanford.
Without Prince, it wasn't really much of an upset. The game was pretty much a tossup before it started, and it came down to the last possession. The current rankings don't take into account that Oregon is missing what was expected to be their best player.
I'd have to disagree. I wouldn't say Prince is our make it or break it player so far. Even this season when she's been playing it's been good but I wouldn't say she's lights out and terrorizing the other team. Our depth still should have been good enough to win this game (I mean UCLA was using a high school player). I think the team is just still inconsistent, as expected because the core haven't played together in a full season.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

shoparound wrote:
gogreen55 wrote:
I'd have to disagree. I wouldn't say Prince is our make it or break it player so far. Even this season when she's been playing it's been good but I wouldn't say she's lights out and terrorizing the other team. Our depth still should have been good enough to win this game (I mean UCLA was using a high school player). I think the team is just still inconsistent, as expected because the core haven't played together in a full season.
1. The expectation that Prince was going to be our best player this season isn't really a matter of a opinion, it is just a fact. She was a preseason All-Conference selection before having played a minute at Oregon, Graves said he views her as a future #1 pick in the NBA draft and he said he wanted her to be the focal point of the offense, both scoring and passing, similar to Jokic of the Nuggets. This doesn't even take into account the defensive presence she was expected to provide. You take Prince away, plus take Chavez away (who was expected by most to be the best guard on the team this season) and this isn't the same team as the rankings indicate.

2. UCLA had the two best players participating in the game. Onyenwere and Osborne were both preseason All-Conference selections, and played like it. The idea that it was a big upset because Oregon has more depth is silly. The Sabrina led Oregon teams often had little depth, yet were rightfully expected to win most games since having the best players is more important than having the best role players. UCLA had the two best players on the floor and they won.....that isn't a big upset. Oregon beating Stanford without Prince would be a much bigger upset.
shoparound
Four Star Recruit

Post by shoparound »

I didn't say this was a big upset. And it's not like we were blown out or overwhelmed. All I said it was they weren't expected to beat us. We still even had chances to win, if we cleaned we would have. Even WITHOUT PRINCE or Chavez.
And I saw all that hype with her, so of course she was expected to be a good player, which she was. And not saying I wasn't impressed, but it's not like she was an all world machine on the floor this year that we would are hopeless without her.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

So I heard Graves say some generic thing about the nature of Sedona's injuries? Anyone know what's really going on? Maybe some kind of stress fracture in her foot? Recurring issues with previous surgeries? Sure feels like this might be a season long thing. Hope not because she really needs some minutes to get the rust off after 2+ years of not playing against talent equal to her own. Best of luck to you miss Prince.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine