MBB NCAA S16: #7 Oregon vs #6 USC (Sun 6:45 PM TBS)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

dthomas=ddixon

Re: MBB NCAA S16: #7 Oregon vs #6 USC (Sun 6:45 PM TBS)

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Ducks looked like they just stopped trying against that zone. 5 or 6 possessions in a row of no movement, no attempt to penetrate, and chucking a 3 as the shot clock ran out. Especially when SC came down and scored what felt like 15 possessions in a row. Brutal.

I think this every year but can Altman please figure out how to build and keep a roster together? I’m not ever going to take for granted how great we’ve been under him but we’d be so much better if there wasn’t a total rebuild every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I’ve been saying all along Altman needed to play Kepnag more once Dante went down cause eventually we’d need him more (an all guard lineup can only take you so far). Altman not playing Kepnag enough reminds me of Mario not playing Shough enough Herbert’s SR year.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

UofDuck wrote:Pathetic. Lawson and Figueroa look horrible. Richardson is playing WAY to timid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Lawson has regressed big time this year, I still can’t figure out why he gets more minutes than Kepnag.

I want to love Richardson but since he was a Freshman it seems like he gets intimidated by the bright lights. He gets far too timid too often. He has so much potential so it’s definitely frustrating.
rentdodger
One Star Recruit

Post by rentdodger »

whosyourwally wrote:How do we get taller during halftime? Anyone got that Spacejam ball?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Altman magic has taken Oregon as far as a small ball team can go. No open shots and no inside presence. Lawson off the bench is just a huge liability on both O and D. Opponents have gone on runs virtually every time he comes in the game.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

This team looks content with a Sweet Sixteen trip this year. No fight right now, very disappointed in them.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Omoruyi just stood and let that dude shoot an easy 3 pointer. What is this team doing?!
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

For whatever reason this season, Oregon lets some really poor shooters to absolutely light them out from deep.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

greenyellow wrote:For whatever reason this season, Oregon lets some really poor shooters to absolutely light them out from deep.
I’ve been saying all season long the perimeter defense is a real concern. While this team has been fun at times and won the conference we probably shouldn’t have expected too much from them. The perimeter defense all year has been suspect and the lack of size would certainly be a huge issue at some point in the tourney. Even if Oregon somehow comes back and wins do you see any way the small lineup could keep up with Gonzaga? To win the NCAA tournament, you need a solid big, not necessarily a star but just a solid big guy that can rebound and play good post defense and Oregon doesn’t have that since Dante went down. The inability to consistently rebound is part of the reason for the poor perimeter defense but I feel like that’s also been an effort issue, seems like guys just get caught staring at the ball with their hands down and opponents have taken advantage of that. This team just had a low ceiling unfortunately due to Dante getting injured and Lawson regressing.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

Don't think we'll be able to come back. Just no answers for what USC does. It absolutely sucks that our run ends here at the hands of a conference rival. Weak play from some key contributors. This team looks nothing like the team that played Iowa.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

This game has nothing to do with effort, so can we please stop with that. You think a bunch of seniors potentially playing their last game and the biggest game of their career aren’t loafing it? SC just has a huge size advantage. Oregon took a chance that a bad shooting team wouldn’t shoot lights out against them for a second time this season, and then a scrub like Isaiah Wilson goes off. That’s the guy they want taking those shots, and he just happened to uncharacteristically make them. Rough time, but it was bound to come to an end with the lack of size.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Worst time for Figueroa and Richardson to go cold.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

It’s probably too late but glad to see Kepnag in. This kid is absolutely my favorite player, at one point everyone on the bench was sitting and being quiet, except him who was on his feet clapping and encouraging his team. Then even down big late in the game when he gets in he goes 110%. Yes he’s raw and can tone it down and gets lost but he has the best attitude on this team and he’s a true leader and amazing teammate. This kid is a coach’s dream, love the kid, his attitude, and effort, and I can’t wait to see him next year! With a good offseason and heard work I could see him dominate next year.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

Figueroa continues his absolutely terrible night.
bigsugarduck
Five Star Recruit

Post by bigsugarduck »

USC cannot miss from 3....ugh. They just got the sauce against Oregon this year. I'll root for them, but I will be so indignant if they cool off against Gonzaga.
Stewart Mandel-"From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I much prefer to watch a good spread-rushing offense over a traditional Power-I offense, and Oregon's has been the most fun by far for the past several years. It's fast, its precise, and when Chip Kelly has the right quarterback (Dixon, Masoli) at the helm, the possibility of someone ripping off a 60-yard run exists on nearly every play."
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

bigsugarduck wrote:USC cannot miss from 3....ugh. They just got the sauce against Oregon this year. I'll root for them, but I will be so indignant if they cool off against Gonzaga.
That’s an easy excuse for Oregon. Many teams have made a lot of 3’s against Oregon this season, that’s not by coincidence, the perimeter defense has been really bad. Good college players should be able to make wide open 3’s.