WBB NCAAA S16: #6 Oregon vs #2 Louisville (Sun 4 PM ESPN)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

shoparound
Four Star Recruit

Re: WBB NCAAA S16: #6 Oregon vs #2 Louisville (Sun 4 PM ESPN

Post by shoparound »

Yeah, it just seems so unrealistic to hope our #1 recruiting class with a top 10 player, could have shot better this year. Along with one of the best 3 pt shooters transferring in, along with another player in the roster who is one of the best 3pt shooters in the country as well. Add in some titanic height and muscle with Sabally and Prince. Being a team that can score easily was just too unrealistic.
Bigwaved
Four Star Recruit

Post by Bigwaved »

shoparound wrote:Yeah, it just seems so unrealistic to hope our #1 recruiting class with a top 10 player, could have shot better this year. Along with one of the best 3 pt shooters transferring in, along with another player in the roster who is one of the best 3pt shooters in the country as well. Add in some titanic height and muscle with Sabally and Prince. Being a team that can score easily was just too unrealistic.
This year was not the one to try to flip the roster like they had to. That became clear as the season progressed.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

shoparound wrote:Yeah, it just seems so unrealistic to hope our #1 recruiting class with a top 10 player, could have shot better this year. Along with one of the best 3 pt shooters transferring in, along with another player in the roster who is one of the best 3pt shooters in the country as well. Add in some titanic height and muscle with Sabally and Prince. Being a team that can score easily was just too unrealistic.
Narrator: That was sarcasm.

My assessment of the season:

- An overall success against expectations. Sweet 16 was good for such a huge transition

- Defense was beyond my expectations.

- Offense was unexpectedly bad. Poor shooting by so many established players at 100 points or more less than career averages was baffling and torturous to fans, players and coaches alike. A whole bunch of offensive problems surfaced even before Paopao went down but they were magnified without her.

- Freshman development was disappointing other than Paopao. Parish and Dugalic looked to be on a real good growth trajectory in the first half of the season, then hit a wall and regressed. Both flashed big time potential early. I still think they can be big time players but unlike several freshmen in the league it didn't happen for them this year.
bigsugarduck
Five Star Recruit

Post by bigsugarduck »

I mean yeah. Sure. I was hoping they would click the way South Carolina did the year before with their #1 class. Nope. On some level, I think it all boiled down to team chemistry, and the total lack of it. The Poor decision making, the poor passing, the tentative shooting. Chemistry. Wish we could see the counterfactual to this pandemic year, in a normal year, but a top 16 finish is nothing to bitch about given the circumstances. Graves has a strong track record in all of the places this years team was deficient, leading me to believe this year was simply an anomaly in those areas.
Stewart Mandel-"From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I much prefer to watch a good spread-rushing offense over a traditional Power-I offense, and Oregon's has been the most fun by far for the past several years. It's fast, its precise, and when Chip Kelly has the right quarterback (Dixon, Masoli) at the helm, the possibility of someone ripping off a 60-yard run exists on nearly every play."