MBB: Oregon @ #3 UCLA (Jan. 13, Thu 6:30 PM ESPN)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

whosyourwally
Five Star Recruit

Re: MBB: Oregon @ #3 UCLA (Jan. 13, Thu 6:30 PM ESPN)

Post by whosyourwally »

There are pieces here. Altman never ceases to amaze in his ability to make art out of apparent garbage.

Young is settling in.
Richardson is sooo Jekyll and Hyde. Definitely a mental thing with him. Believe in yourself, kid.
Dante’s really shaping up.

Williams needs to be a last resort on offense. He and Guerrier throw up the dumbest shots. Solid defenders tonight, though.

The rest… yeesh….
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

this sounds weird but I'd dry to get Williams a few looks on the post. he is a large guard who could punish smaller guards down there. basically, we gotta get him out of his rut somehow and make him a useful contributor on offense.
whosyourwally
Five Star Recruit

Post by whosyourwally »

droop10 wrote:
whosyourwally wrote:
droop10 wrote:Nothing but complaining in this thread. You’d be shocked to see they are up 4 with a minute to go on the road against the number 3 team in the nation. :lol:
Less shocked to see them throw this game away with more of the same stupidity at the end of reg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How’s that going? They did execute the last minute of regulation poorly, but overall played a really good game, though you wouldn’t know it by the comments in here. Played good defense and hit free throws at a better clip.
Do you think I’m bummed that Oregon just upset a top 5 team? Chill bruh, same team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Did not see them pulling out a win this weekend down in LA, especially against UCLA. While they do look disjointed at times, they can play at a high level. They had so many injuries with key players over the off-season (Dante, Williams, Guerrier, and at least one more I'm blanking on) so it makes sense why the development and chemistry is only now starting to show.
Bigwaved
Four Star Recruit

Post by Bigwaved »

They gutted it out after not closing it out in regulation. They easily could have folded mentally. Making progress, an inch at a time. The consistency is not there quite yet. They are at least resembling a team again.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

How did they win with 6 assists???
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

nogerO wrote:How did they win with 6 assists???
That was a nice win, BUT........exactly what you said. We are still looking at the same issues. No ball movement on offense, standing around, and zero court vision. It is going to be VERY difficult to win consistently in this conference when you are counting on Will, Jacob, Eric and Devion trying to just beat a guy 1 on 1 every time down the floor.

I am not sure what the deal is, because this is so unlike a typical Altman team. It looks a lot more like an EK team where talent just takes over and tries to win.

Go Ducks!...but man this team is hard to watch. The talent and pieces are there as evidenced by that win last night, but they just are not working well together.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

northbeachsf wrote:
That was a nice win, BUT........exactly what you said. We are still looking at the same issues. No ball movement on offense, standing around, and zero court vision. It is going to be VERY difficult to win consistently in this conference when you are counting on Will, Jacob, Eric and Devion trying to just beat a guy 1 on 1 every time down the floor.

I am not sure what the deal is, because this is so unlike a typical Altman team. It looks a lot more like an EK team where talent just takes over and tries to win.

Go Ducks!...but man this team is hard to watch. The talent and pieces are there as evidenced by that win last night, but they just are not working well together.
Yeah, I noticed the one-on-one-heavy offense, especially with Young down the stretch, looking just like his brother did. I also think it is possible Oregon just caught UCLA on a bad night - their coach was tearing into them in the post-game presser and mentioned they had a terrible practice the day before. Still, it's a nice win, and personally, I was very encouraged by Dante's performance, and it seemed like the Bruins didn't have anyone who could match up with him. Hopefully that is true for other teams as well.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

The great news is that we have 8 very winnable games in a row after USC. If we can go on a run and get 7 wins over that stretch, we could be in business again.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

It almost felt like we had to win twice last night. Incredible win!

If Oregon didn’t lose to ASU, they’d be actually looking decent right now. But still a long way to go to sneak in the tourney!

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Seeing Jacob go off late in the game certainly brought back Joey buckets memories. If he can keep his turnovers down, he can be really good at both ends.

Also, Dante outplayed their bigs, which was to me the largest factor in regulation.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Bigwaved
Four Star Recruit

Post by Bigwaved »

They scored more points.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Bigwaved wrote:
They scored more points.
Gollee!
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

UOducksTK1 wrote:It almost felt like we had to win twice last night. Incredible win!

If Oregon didn’t lose to ASU, they’d be actually looking decent right now. But still a long way to go to sneak in the tourney!
I think after this weekend we moved up something like 40 spots on our Rpi. We are in good shape to make a run.