Adia Barnes Kelly Graves Spat

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

bigsugarduck
Five Star Recruit

Adia Barnes Kelly Graves Spat

Post by bigsugarduck »

https://www.espn.com.au/womens-college- ... d/33088942

Did not know anything happened until I saw this. Adia Barnes is apparently fond of explicit gestures with her second offense in under a year. On Twitter, lots of Oregon fans calling out the Arizona coach for being vulgar, and lots of Arizona fans saying Graves is a misoginistic abusive bully. Barnes apologized, and Graves said it was overblown. Arizona player said Graves was cursing at them and Branes the whole game. Barnes clearly had something to apologize for, but did Graves? Was anyone there who can attest to Graves behavior?

I combed through twitter trying to find out what Graves was supposedly doing and could not find any specifics. Given that I cant find anything, I'm learning towards it being overblown as Graves suggested, and a whole lot of sour grapes in Arizona (coach, players, and fans).

That said, Is KG known as a bully? I know he's got a big personality but I have not thought of him as a Jerky coach before.
Stewart Mandel-"From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I much prefer to watch a good spread-rushing offense over a traditional Power-I offense, and Oregon's has been the most fun by far for the past several years. It's fast, its precise, and when Chip Kelly has the right quarterback (Dixon, Masoli) at the helm, the possibility of someone ripping off a 60-yard run exists on nearly every play."
gogreen55
Senior

Re: Adia Barnes Kelly Graves Spat

Post by gogreen55 »

bigsugarduck wrote:https://www.espn.com.au/womens-college- ... d/33088942

Did not know anything happened until I saw this. Adia Barnes is apparently fond of explicit gestures with her second offense in under a year. On Twitter, lots of Oregon fans calling out the Arizona coach for being vulgar, and lots of Arizona fans saying Graves is a misoginistic abusive bully. Barnes apologized, and Graves said it was overblown. Arizona player said Graves was cursing at them and Branes the whole game. Barnes clearly had something to apologize for, but did Graves? Was anyone there who can attest to Graves behavior?

I combed through twitter trying to find out what Graves was supposedly doing and could not find any specifics. Given that I cant find anything, I'm learning towards it being overblown as Graves suggested, and a whole lot of sour grapes in Arizona (coach, players, and fans).

That said, Is KG known as a bully? I know he's got a big personality but I have not thought of him as a Jerky coach before.
Graves is often loud and vocal with the officials, with some colorful language sometimes mixed in. It isn't anything that makes him stand out from many other coaches across the country. The Arizona contingent, in an effort to justify Adia's childish actions, seems to be trying to equate Graves yelling at the officials with yelling at the Arizona coach/players. It is really absurd.

This is the second time that Barnes has been caught flipping the bird after a game. The first time was caught by television cameras. This isn't an Oregon/Graves issue, it is an Adia issue.

StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

One of my best friends works in the Arizona AD and we talked about this a little the day after the game. He said that Adia doesn't have many fans in the department, and that they've had a little bit of a rotating door with assistants because people want the Arizona/Barnes names on their resume, but after a year they generally can't stand her and move on. I asked if it was 'intensity' or 'dickish behavior,' and he said both.

Not sure she'd stand out among men's basketball coaches or football coaches, if we're being honest, but among WBB coaches it sounds like she's an outlier for being a bit of an asshole.
bigsugarduck
Five Star Recruit

Post by bigsugarduck »

StevensTechU wrote:One of my best friends works in the Arizona AD and we talked about this a little the day after the game. He said that Adia doesn't have many fans in the department, and that they've had a little bit of a rotating door with assistants because people want the Arizona/Barnes names on their resume, but after a year they generally can't stand her and move on. I asked if it was 'intensity' or 'dickish behavior,' and he said both.

Not sure she'd stand out among men's basketball coaches or football coaches, if we're being honest, but among WBB coaches it sounds like she's an outlier for being a bit of an asshole.
Interesting...

While I presume the middle finger gets pulled out occasionally in coaching, I honestly can't think of any examples, let alone twice in one year by one coach. That's nuts. She's got a complex of some kind for sure. I imagine these incidents are only the tip of the iceberg. It will be interesting to see how the UA administration responds to a few down years.
Stewart Mandel-"From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I much prefer to watch a good spread-rushing offense over a traditional Power-I offense, and Oregon's has been the most fun by far for the past several years. It's fast, its precise, and when Chip Kelly has the right quarterback (Dixon, Masoli) at the helm, the possibility of someone ripping off a 60-yard run exists on nearly every play."
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

bigsugarduck wrote: Interesting...

While I presume the middle finger gets pulled out occasionally in coaching, I honestly can't think of any examples, let alone twice in one year by one coach. That's nuts. She's got a complex of some kind for sure. I imagine these incidents are only the tip of the iceberg. It will be interesting to see how the UA administration responds to a few down years.
If you compare the first incident where she was saying "F everybody" and used a middle finger in the huddle, that's not wildly different than Cristobal going on a rant post-husky game and saying "F that team, they're everything wrong with football." Flipping off and cursing an opposing coach/opposing bench is pretty bad, though. Even so, Coach K has been known to direct comments at opposing players, including our own Dillon Brooks.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Soon as I saw a picture of that coach it brought back memories of games we played them before and her demeanor/attitude on the sideline and the really dirty look she gives her players, refs and other people during games and I always thought she was a few fries short of a happy meal mentally. The rematch is going to be very tough for us sashes already put the refs on notice she wants/is demanding “homer” calls when they play in Tucson.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

Maybe Adia is just channeling Kim Mulkey?

Once upon a time, they had to give Kim a one game NCAA Tournament suspension because of her post-game complaining about the officials. Kim's whining certainly wasn't any worse than Adia's post-game press conference after the Oregon game.

GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

She's in the same state as Bobby Hurley and a much better coach. With Bobby setting the bar so low, Adia comes out ok. The fact that 2 of the top 5 coaches in WBB are grumpy asses also lowers the bar.

Coaches often get testy with each other as they work the refs against each other. It usually ends with the final whistle.

The rematch will likely be brutal though, UA always plays physical, comes at you in waves and are grabby and annoying. Imagine them hyped up to boot.
bigsugarduck
Five Star Recruit

Post by bigsugarduck »

Looks like Adia Branes has largely backpedaled on the whole thing. :roll: Agrees with KG it was overblown.

1) She basically lied about KG initially to justify her actions.
2) She's pulled out the gender card to deflect from her lying.

https://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildca ... TucsonStar

Hope she is held accountable for this by fans and media. Pretty gross situation.