MBB: Oregon @ Washington State (Mar. 5, Sat, 1 PM CBS)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

droop10
Five Star Recruit

Re: MBB: Oregon @ Washington State (Mar. 5, Sat, 1 PM CBS)

Post by droop10 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
droop10 wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:Done with the game. I know it’s blasphemy to criticize Altman but it might be mutually beneficial if he retires soon and the entire coaching staff is replaced. Coaches and players have done a poor job this season. Stubblefield was a big loss.
It’s blasphemy, because it’s an absurd take. We’re going to say that one bad season suddenly makes Altman a bad coach? Do you think he has dementia and has suddenly forgotten how to coach? And a “bad” season that could still end with 20 wins. This team ended up being a bad fit, but it’ll be a whole new team next season. Not like it’ll take a long rebuild. Also, who do you expect to get that is better?

Altman is a top 10 college coach and I assure you the others on that list aren’t coming to Oregon. You’re overvaluing the program. It was an average at best program before Altman, with a mediocre fan base and playing in possibly the worst power 5 conference. They are a top tier program because of Altman, not in spite of him. People always assume the grass is greener, but I assure you it is not.
Lol where did I say Altman is a bad coach? Do I think he’s had a bad season? Yes, do I think he’s bad coach? No, but the program may be headed in a bad direction and I believe Altman truly doesn’t enjoy coaching anymore. He’s made comments the last couple years that makes me think he doesn’t enjoy it. He still coaches with fire but I just believe there’s a good chance him retiring would be mutually beneficial. Maybe he’ll prove me wrong and come back and will enjoy it I just personally don’t see that. But there is no doubt this year has been nowhere near Altman’s best work.
The program is headed in a bad direction because one group had an off year? The only way it’s mutually beneficial is if you think a better coach would come to Oregon, which wouldn’t be the case. It would be a step back for the program.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Re: MBB: Oregon @ Washington State (Mar. 5, Sat, 1 PM CBS)

Post by OregonFan4Life »

droop10 wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
droop10 wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:Done with the game. I know it’s blasphemy to criticize Altman but it might be mutually beneficial if he retires soon and the entire coaching staff is replaced. Coaches and players have done a poor job this season. Stubblefield was a big loss.
It’s blasphemy, because it’s an absurd take. We’re going to say that one bad season suddenly makes Altman a bad coach? Do you think he has dementia and has suddenly forgotten how to coach? And a “bad” season that could still end with 20 wins. This team ended up being a bad fit, but it’ll be a whole new team next season. Not like it’ll take a long rebuild. Also, who do you expect to get that is better?

Altman is a top 10 college coach and I assure you the others on that list aren’t coming to Oregon. You’re overvaluing the program. It was an average at best program before Altman, with a mediocre fan base and playing in possibly the worst power 5 conference. They are a top tier program because of Altman, not in spite of him. People always assume the grass is greener, but I assure you it is not.
Lol where did I say Altman is a bad coach? Do I think he’s had a bad season? Yes, do I think he’s bad coach? No, but the program may be headed in a bad direction and I believe Altman truly doesn’t enjoy coaching anymore. He’s made comments the last couple years that makes me think he doesn’t enjoy it. He still coaches with fire but I just believe there’s a good chance him retiring would be mutually beneficial. Maybe he’ll prove me wrong and come back and will enjoy it I just personally don’t see that. But there is no doubt this year has been nowhere near Altman’s best work.
The program is headed in a bad direction because one group had an off year? The only way it’s mutually beneficial is if you think a better coach would come to Oregon, which wouldn’t be the case. It would be a step back for the program.
If Altman actually doesn’t enjoy coaching anymore then I disagree, him sticking around would be bad for both sides. With a trajectory like that Oregon basketball would end up like baseball under Horton.