QUACK! 2023 SF Mookie Cook commits Edit: Recommitted

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

QUACK! 2023 SF Mookie Cook commits Edit: Recommitted

Post by greenyellow »

2023 5* G Mookie Cook is announcing his commitment today at 3 PM PT. He's down to Oregon, Gonzaga, and Kentucky. There's a small potential he may reclassify to the 2022 class.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Re: 2023 G Mookie Cook announcing commitment

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Choosing between Oregon, Kentucky. And Gonzaga. Geez between that bunch who thought one would be an NIT team, one would go out in the first round, and the other would go out in the Sweet Sixteen? Clearly any of those teams could really use his help!
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:Choosing between Oregon, Kentucky. And Gonzaga. Geez between that bunch who thought one would be an NIT team, one would go out in the first round, and the other would go out in the Sweet Sixteen? Clearly any of those teams could really use his help!
I mean, we made it to the sweet sixteen the 4 years before. So don’t follow that logic.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:Choosing between Oregon, Kentucky. And Gonzaga. Geez between that bunch who thought one would be an NIT team, one would go out in the first round, and the other would go out in the Sweet Sixteen? Clearly any of those teams could really use his help!
I mean, we made it to the sweet sixteen the 4 years before. So don’t follow that logic.
I’m saying all three teams underperformed compared to expectations.

Also that’s not true, last time Oregon made the Sweet Sixteen was 2017. 2018 went to the NIT, 2019 lost to Virginia in the second round, 2020 covid year, 2021 lost to USC in the second round, but yeah Oregon is doing just fine in basketball…

You’d think Oregon would’ve made it to the Sweet Sixteen at least once since the Final Four run, if an Oregon football coach had the same lack of success as Altman over that time period half the fans would scream for him to be fired.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:

Also that’s not true, last time Oregon made the Sweet Sixteen was 2017. 2018 went to the NIT, 2019 lost to Virginia in the second round, 2020 covid year, 2021 lost to USC in the second round, but yeah Oregon is doing just fine in basketball…

You’d think Oregon would’ve made it to the Sweet Sixteen at least once since the Final Four run, if an Oregon football coach had the same lack of success as Altman over that time period half the fans would scream for him to be fired.
Oregon made the Sweet 16 in 2019 (beat Wisconsin and UC-Irvine before losing to Virginia) and technically did the same in 2021 (forfeit win over VCU and stomping of Iowa before losing to USC.)
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

greenyellow wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:

Oregon made the Sweet 16 in 2019 (beat Wisconsin and UC-Irvine before losing to Virginia) and technically did the same in 2021 (forfeit win over VCU and stomping of Iowa before losing to USC.)
I stand corrected regarding 2019 and 2021 forgot the first round was cancelled due to covid, thought Oregon faced USC in the second round.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Shouldn't be too much longer as he's supposed to do his announcement at halftime of the current game between Prolific Prep/Sunrise Christian, which started at 3 PM PT.

Edit: Game has reached halftime so it'll be any minute now.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Re: QUACK! 2023 SF Mookie Cook commits

Post by StevensTechU »

A Duck win and a Mark Few loss is a combo of great things.
DmoneyDuck
Freshman

Post by DmoneyDuck »

Any chance Mookie re-classifies to 2022 so he's able to play this fall?
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Just watched his highlights, he’s listed as a SF but he seems to play more like a PF. This is definitely Altman’s type of player!

He’s got a great vertical and loves to get inside for rebounds. He is very skilled at establishing position when the ball goes up and has a fantastic ability to quickly jump, he’s one of those guys that it doesn’t seem like he’s jumping high but somehow his head is at the rim. Half of his highlights were putback dunks and some of them were monstrous. He also is always looking for opportunities to block a shot, whether it’s giving the ball carrier a false sense of an open lane to block them from behind or provide some help defense, he knows how to get some blocks. He also has a good outside shot with really good form, granted he’s not the type to create a shot as he shoots flat footed and has a slow release but if you leave him open he’ll make you pay.

If I were to compare him to a previous Oregon player I’d say Jordan Bell with an outside shot. Not super tall but makes up for it with his long wingspan, strength, and athleticism, and he’s not the most skilled offensive player but he can still put up some points, certainly more than Jordan Bell. I don’t think he’s a 1 and done only cause he needs to work on his offensive skill but no doubt he’ll have an immediate impact at Oregon.

If he does reclassify to 2022 then the front court will be too crowded. Dante, Kepnang, Guerrier, Bittle, Ware, and Cook, that’s a lot of talent and it’ll be hard to distribute minutes properly to all of those guys, but not a bad problem to have!
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

This is great for the Ducks!!
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

Just watched a few clips. This guy could be great.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

I don't think it has fully landed for me that we have three 5-star recruits coming in. That is just insane.

Edit: I read The Athletic article saying he will reclassify, apparently his family are disputing that? Not sure what's up, either way our recruiting prowess is exceeding my expectations lately.