Bold Prediction: Oregon will be in the Final Four next year

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Bold Prediction: Oregon will be in the Final Four next year

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Calling it now, Oregon will make the Final Four in 2023.

It’s no mystery I’m the biggest Altman critic on here, I’m aware it’s mostly due to a bias that I’m simply not a fan of his style of basketball but I’m also aware he’s a good coach and has done a lot to lift the program since EK. But despite my criticism, I think Oregon will make it to the Final Four.

Next year will feature a roster of experienced and mature seniors who are hungry to get rid of the bad taste in their mouth from last year as well as very talented youth. I expect the guard play to be significantly better with Young gone and I also expect the guards to put in extra work as a result of Altman’s public criticism of their work ethic. The bigs, despite the loss of Kepnang, will be dominant and Oregon will have one of, if not the best front courts in the nation. If the guards are cold they can rely on the bigs to score.

Plus with Dior coming in we’ll have two guards who are fantastic at passing the ball in him and Richardson. I don’t know if Dior will start with Will or if he’ll come or the bench but having those two guards will allow Oregon to much better utilize their talented big men. I expect Dante to get far more touches and put up much better numbers with the improved guard play next year, and don’t be surprised if Ware is one of the leaders in alley-oop dunks, if anyone even tracks that.

Overall I see a team with a great combination of experienced and mature players and young talented players ready to prove themselves. Oregon will be in the Final Four next year!
northbeachsf
Freshman

Re: Bold Prediction: Oregon will be in the Final Four next y

Post by northbeachsf »

Man....you are way more optimistic than I am right now.

Did we finally get some shooters who can sink open shots? Will is the only guard on the roster that I think can be a consistent scorer at all three levels when he is healthy. Dior may get there, but he is an average three point shooter at best (34% in HS)

Like Altman said in his last press conference......we have a lot of shot takers, what we need are shot makers.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

northbeachsf wrote:Man....you are way more optimistic than I am right now.

Did we finally get some shooters who can sink open shots? Will is the only guard on the roster that I think can be a consistent scorer at all three levels when he is healthy. Dior may get there, but he is an average three point shooter at best (34% in HS)

Like Altman said in his last press conference......we have a lot of shot takers, what we need are shot makers.
We won’t have the best shooting team but we’ll have the best frontcourt, and I’m confident the coaching staff next year will utilize that. I also have confidence in Richardson, Guerrier, Harmon, and Johnson to hit threes when open. We may not have a Dorsey who can light it up when he’s on fire but I’m confident in Oregon’s ability to score when needed with the frontcourt talent/depth with the backcourt supporting them. It’s all about the frontcourt last year, and that’s what this last team’s backcourt failed to realize.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
northbeachsf wrote:Man....you are way more optimistic than I am right now.

We won’t have the best shooting team but we’ll have the best frontcourt, and I’m confident the coaching staff next year will utilize that. I also have confidence in Richardson, Guerrier, Harmon, and Johnson to hit threes when open. We may not have a Dorsey who can light it up when he’s on fire but I’m confident in Oregon’s ability to score when needed with the frontcourt talent/depth with the backcourt supporting them. It’s all about the frontcourt last year, and that’s what this last team’s backcourt failed to realize.
I think Richardson is definitely comparable to Dorsey, and I think the team would benefit from him playing the 2 guard and Johnson or Harmon starting at PG. I like Richardson a lot as a point guard, but he's big enough to play the 2 and is a great shooter. Richardson's last 2 seasons he shot the 3pt better than Dorsey did in his 2 years. This year, he fell off a cliff at the end, which dropped his percentage considerably, yet he still shot 39% from 3. I think we can attribute a good portion of that to the mono, as Altman mentioned Richardson hadn't felt right for a few weeks before sitting out. Harmon is a decent shooter, though he has one of the slowest releases I've ever seen. I think if they bring a guy in via the portal, they will prioritize a shooter, as well.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

I think Altman has proven that he can get the most out of random players being placed together so I wouldn't doubt him because of one off season.
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

Guerrier/Richardson/Harmon are all coming back? honestly, would just be better if they moved on.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

We will 100% be a better team if Will and Guerrier are both back. Guerrier started to play at a different level the last 10 games or so.

Harmon IS coming back, but I'm not sure if that's negative or positive. He has to improve significantly as a shooter.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

As for shooters. We certainly need guys to either improve (Soares was a good shooter at Juco, Harmon?).

Also think people are underestimating the 2 Juco kids coming in. Tyrone Williams had better %'s than even Duarte at Juco.

Having a formidable frontcourt should also mean more open looks for guards.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

duck023 wrote:I think Altman has proven that he can get the most out of random players being placed together so I wouldn't doubt him because of one off season.
Agreed except for this year.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

With Will coming back, I think this is realistic.

Dante, Ware, Bittle (3 5* bigs is the best we've ever had at Oregon, will they play as well as Bell/Boucher? probably not, but great talent).

Guerrier/Richardson give us experienced seniors who know the program well.

Key to me is who steps up at the wing spots between the Juco kids and Soares. If someone pops there as a scorer, we're going to be really tough.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Exactly ^

We need some scoring. And we need some clutch scoring too. Without that, it ain't happening.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

Can we please be an inside-oriented team next year???
Zyme
All Pac-12
GM: New York Knicks GM

Post by Zyme »

With Dior decommiting does your projection change much?
DASL1 Rings: '93, '94

K's HOF:
Mark "Wholly Mammoth" Eaton | Retired 2002, age 44: 24 min/8pts/8reb/1stl/2.5 blks/1 TO
Michael "Sweet Home" Ansley | Retired 2007, age 42: 33 min/16pts/8 reb/1.5stl/.5 blks/.5 TO Lifetime .550 shooting %
Gheorghe "Ghiţă (Ghitza, Little George)" Mureșan | Retired 2008, age 36: 35Min/16.2pt/12.2reb/2.1ast/1.6stl/2.9blk/1.3TO (.461/.715/.000)
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

Zyme wrote:With Dior decommiting does your projection change much?
Yeah, that sucks. Was it motivated by Harmon and Richardson coming back? Did he get more NIL $ somewhere else? Ducks couldn’t match? The O story is behind a pay wall, and I couldn’t find anything on ESPN. Anyone know?
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Zyme wrote:With Dior decommiting does your projection change much?
Not sure, I was excited to have a talented wing coming in along with the talented big men, I still think this team can do it but we’ll need the transfers to step up and Will to be consistent.