2022-23 WBB Additions/Subtractions

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Sabally, Parrish, Watson leaving WBB program

Post by greenyellow »

Oregon WBB will need to replace a few players this off-season as three players have announced they'll be leaving. Sabally has announced her decision to turn pro while Parrish and Watson are transferring. Graves is really going to be counting on the 2022 class to contribute immediately and get a few transfers to provide some leadership.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Re: Sabally, Parrish, Watson leaving WBB program

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Well that leaves 2 from the 5-5 star class.

Sabally though expected will be a huge hole to fill. Watson I thought might go though with Sabally leaving she was almost guaranteed a bigger role.

Parrish surprises me a little in that the coaches really stuck with her despite her shooting inconsistencies and started her all 32 games.

Jennah Isai might be able to step right into Parrish's role. About the same size, she has a scorers mentality and I could see her flourishing in the open court.

I'm wishing Kyei had been force fed a few more minutes. She has so much to learn but really flashed some potential.

IMHO, Oregon will need a big time transfer to compete at the top at the PAC now. I don't expect the incoming class to be that much help next year other than Isai. The highest ranked recruit in the class Gray is a point guard, as are Oregon's 3 best returning players.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Scherr transferring too. 2020 class is now almost completely busted, except for maybe Paopao now.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I figured Parrish would transfer to Florida St, isn’t she dating Mycah Pittman?
WestCoastDux
Two Star Recruit

Post by WestCoastDux »

Not Parrish. Maddie Scherr is engaged to Mycah Pittman. I kinda suspected this would happen, but Maddie Scherr just hit the portal as well, not surprising but I bet she'll land Tallahassee too.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

WestCoastDux wrote:Not Parrish. Maddie Scherr is engaged to Mycah Pittman. I kinda suspected this would happen, but Maddie Scherr just hit the portal as well, not surprising but I bet she'll land Tallahassee too.
I have been expecting a Scherr transfer, more so than the other 2.
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

Watson had potential. dang it.
DmoneyDuck
Freshman

Post by DmoneyDuck »

I'm not calling for a coaching change, but what the hell is going on?

Four of the five 5*s from the No. 1 recruiting class are gone after two seasons, two contributors from the 2020 squad (Chavez and Shelly) left after last season, and the team seems further away than ever from competing for a Natty.

The good news is Oregon's three best players (Sabally aside, going pro) are still on the roster (Rogers, Pao-Pao, Prince). Let's hope this upcoming class has the juice, Philly gets an expanded role, and Coach Graves is able to land a high-impact transfer.

Coach set the bar high at UO. We need to get back to the top of the Pac.
withamjd
One Star Recruit

Post by withamjd »

Lumping Sabally into the "leaving" or "exodus" narrative is piling on. She was almost certainly going to be a high draft pick and had graduated.

Many posters around Oregon had called a Scherr move closer to Pittman. No matter what.

Dugalic transfer was disappointing. Rumors that she didn't feel integrated into the team. What's that mean? Who knows.

I'm not convinced Parrish&Watson are more than what they've shown through 2 years.

8 returners PLUS 4 incoming freshman is still too many players to keep everyone happy. Start ringing your hands now about next year's transfers to save time, if that's your response.

Please realize that multiple transfers are happening everywhere. Some teams in the Pac12 to Google for more transfer numbers:
ARIZONA
CAL
COLORADO
UTAH
and USC

There are starters, All-league players, and nearly entire teams across America pursuing transfers.

Oregon and Graves are not in crisis, fans are.

Looking forward to more Softball, Baseball, T&F, Football...and then more high-level basketball with fresh players. Onward!
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

[quote="withamjd"

‘Oregon and Graves are not in crisis, fans are.’

Not a crisis, just a general turn off. Was fun watching teams grow and gel together. Now it’s just a revolving door. And I am for players having the ability to transfer if they wish. Crisis, no. Apathy, yes. At least for me.
shoparound
Four Star Recruit

Post by shoparound »

withamjd wrote:Lumping Sabally into the "leaving" or "exodus" narrative is piling on. She was almost certainly going to be a high draft pick and had graduated.

Many posters around Oregon had called a Scherr move closer to Pittman. No matter what.

Dugalic transfer was disappointing. Rumors that she didn't feel integrated into the team. What's that mean? Who knows.

I'm not convinced Parrish&Watson are more than what they've shown through 2 years.

8 returners PLUS 4 incoming freshman is still too many players to keep everyone happy. Start ringing your hands now about next year's transfers to save time, if that's your response.
I agree, I actually don't think this hurts the team as much as people think.
To be fair that #1 recruiting class has got to be the biggest bust in women's college basketball history. Everyone leaving has pretty much been a letdown
They NEVER really clicked here. And they were five star McD All Americans coming here.
And with that said, this season was such a disaster, I think it's best for everyone for them to leave, so there could be a fresh mental start, if anything.

The USC transfers that we have, Moore and Rogers, I feel like have been much better and had bigger impacts.
Graves will have to pull some transfers in, and maybe even a hidden international gem to get the train rolling again.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

The transfers aren't even new to the transfer portal era. Of the 7 player super class Graves first brought in, 4 of the 7 left in 2 years. Its the way it goes.

We knew Sabally was leaving, she participated in Senior Day as a Junior. So even before these transfers I was expecting them to look for a big time 4/5 transfer for the 2022-23 season if they want to compete at the top of the PAC-12.

Unless Scherr or Parrish really improved offensively (which they might, but likely not) they weren't the answer anyway. Oregon really needs to improve its three point shooting in both consistency and overall percentage.

The 2 best players are combo guards who are just so so 3 point shooters. The highest rated incoming recruit kind of looks to be of the same mold, We have penetrators but lack the kick out finishers like Parrish was supposed to be but often was not.

On another note player wise, 2023's Amari Whiting is the player I am most excited to see of all the recruits over the last few years. Reminds me of PP3. Swagger, confidence, competitive fire, scorer mentality and a pest on defense. You never know who will be a star but I am fairly confident she'll be fun to watch and add mental toughness to the team.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

DmoneyDuck wrote:I'm not calling for a coaching change, but what the hell is going on?

Four of the five 5*s from the No. 1 recruiting class are gone after two seasons, two contributors from the 2020 squad (Chavez and Shelly) left after last season, and the team seems further away than ever from competing for a Natty.

The good news is Oregon's three best players (Sabally aside, going pro) are still on the roster (Rogers, Pao-Pao, Prince). Let's hope this upcoming class has the juice, Philly gets an expanded role, and Coach Graves is able to land a high-impact transfer.

Coach set the bar high at UO. We need to get back to the top of the Pac.
I think new transfer rules are a big factor as well. It’s the new world of college sports.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Dre'una Edwards from Kentucky (16.8ppg 8.4rpg) , Pac-12 Freshmen of the year @ Utah, a California prep player would be my Target #1. No idea if there is any interest either way. Just thought I would throw this out here as an example of a player to fill the transfer holes and end up better when all is said and done.

Then again last year it looked like we won the transfer exchange with Rogers and the others, but then Mikesell and Jazz Shelley blew up into All Conference Big-10 players on their new teams and Dugelic will be good to great. It should be noted though that Graves was going to stand pat and stay out of the transfer game last year until all those players left and he had to do it.