2022-23 WBB Additions/Subtractions

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Re: Sabally, Parrish, Watson leaving WBB program

Post by greenyellow »

The last two classes for Graves have not been great as that's now 4 transfers out of 6 HS players. Of the 7 returning players, only Paopao and Kyei are players he recruited out of HS; the rest are transfers.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

GrandpaDuck wrote:
duck023 wrote:
GrandpaDuck wrote:At this years McDonald's game UO, OSU, UA UCLA and Stanford all had 2 players. Utah and USC had one. A team of 3 star players in the PAC-12 lets you play for 7th place.

UCLA, UO, OSU and Stanford are all top 10 this year, 3 of them are top 6 in class rankings.

After watching the McDonald's game, it appears Gray will add more to the offense than we got from Scherr by a mile and Grace VanSlooten can bang in the paint like Watson. A good chance Isai turns out better than Parrish, she already has a vastly better tool set inside the 3 point line.

The big hole to fill is going to be Sabally, the 3 transfers I feel are covered, at least to the level they played at this year.
The people that criticized Chip Kelly's recruiting likely think like you do but who had the better record Mario or Chip? Sometimes I'd rather have smart and hard working 4 stars than 5 stars. By the way I just want to say this because I accidently called Royce Freeman a 3 star that over performed and someone corrected me. When we talking about 3 stars we usually mean lower end 4 stars. For example I always preferred Kennan Lowe over DeAnthony Thomas.
Sorry but I disagree with almost all of this. First in terms of "think like I do" you give the Mario versus Chip as an example when frankly I have felt that Mario let websites do his talent evaluation and he chased stars to win the 247 class rankings competition, Chip and crew were better talent evaluators. But basketball recruiting is so much different than football recruiting. While you certainly have misses in WBB rankings they are way better overall in basketball as stats are more meaningful and its easier to separate a players talent from team or system talent than in football.

PAC-12 (and National) WBB basketball has been consistently dominated by 5 star talent for ages with very few 3 star Cinderella stories. Turnarounds in the conference from bottom to competitor like Arizona (Reese/McDonald), Oregon (Sabrina/Ruthie) and Washington (Plum/Osahor) have largely been on the backs of 5 Stars. I cant think of an exception in recent years off hand.

Lastly, Lowe was a great team player and good football player, but if you were putting a team together you would take Lowe over DAT? How many game changing plays did Lowe make versus DAT? How many future players said their interest in coming to Oregon was sparked by watching Lowe play football?

I can understand most of this. You are sort of saying that the College Basketball recruiting is more based on the Stars than football recruiting and I can see that point.

I'll agree to disagree on Lowe vs DAT. DAT made a bunch of great plays in games that Oregon would have likely won anyways. Lowe although not as explosive had a lot of speed too and made a bunch of big plays too. However, DAT not making a block cost Oregon a national championship while Lowe is one of the best blocking receivers of all time.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

Lowe was serviceable, good blocker, but also had some big drops. The comparison is ridiculous, comparing a role player to a guy D-coordinators had to game plan against. Sorry this veered off topic.
shoparound
Four Star Recruit

Post by shoparound »

At the end of the day, most of the ones leaving are replaceable.
Scherr and Dugalic (from last year) were the toughest to lose, but at most they may have been just All-Pac12 players.
Bigby was also disappointing, as she was hyped pretty well coming in. But couldn't even break through.
greenyellow

2022-23 WBB Additions/Subtractions

Post by greenyellow »

Roster looks like this currently:

SR: Hurst, Hosendove, Hanson
JR: Prince, Rogers, Pinto
SO: Paopao, Kyei
FR: Gray, VanSlooten, Isai, Basham

Looks like Oregon will be adding ASU transfer Taya Hanson, who was All-Pac-12 Honorable Mention and Pac-12 All-Defense as JR. She's essentially a Maddie Scherr-like player except for a little more scoring.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Re: 2022-23 WBB Additions/Subtractions

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Hanson 5'10" Senior, from BC Canada. This last year led the team in 3 point attempts but at only a .289 clip. I would have taken her greenlight away. Good defensive player. Had more turnovers than assists.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Oregon was quick in officially announcing it.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Well OSU just beat us in losing quality players to the transfer portal. 5 star and proven interior players Sophomores Kennedy Brown and Taylor Jones have joined 5 Star Freshmen guard Greta Kampschroeder in transferring out. Like Oregon OSU has a top 5 class coming in to help ease the pain. Jones is a tough loss though, a top 5 post player in the PAC when healthy.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Add Pinto to the Transfer Portal. With the other transfers it seemed like she had an opportunity for significant minutes, but obviously playing time is not the only factor in these transfers as so many of them were already starters. 3 Oregon State starters, 3 Oregon starters or main rotational players just here in this state.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Add Pinto to the subtraction column now.
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

It seemed like Pinto did not fit well. I hope she finds a college that suits her.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

GrandpaDuck wrote:Add Pinto to the Transfer Portal. With the other transfers it seemed like she had an opportunity for significant minutes, but obviously playing time is not the only factor in these transfers as so many of them were already starters. 3 Oregon State starters, 3 Oregon starters or main rotational players just here in this state.
It's not looking good Oregon's lost all their great recruits in one season. Whether you like Keenan Lowe or not I'm starting to think you are right about the stars mattering in basketball. Oregon losing all their great talent and having to rebuild from a rebuild isn't good. I think Graves has lost control of this team.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

duck023 wrote:
GrandpaDuck wrote:Add Pinto to the Transfer Portal. With the other transfers it seemed like she had an opportunity for significant minutes, but obviously playing time is not the only factor in these transfers as so many of them were already starters. 3 Oregon State starters, 3 Oregon starters or main rotational players just here in this state.
It's not looking good Oregon's lost all their great recruits in one season. Whether you like Keenan Lowe or not I'm starting to think you are right about the stars mattering in basketball. Oregon losing all their great talent and having to rebuild from a rebuild isn't good. I think Graves has lost control of this team.
They've got the #2 recruiting class in the country coming in so things aren't as bad you and some other Duck fans are making it.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »