Dana Altman about to be our new coach?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

quackattack
Three Star Recruit

Dana Altman about to be our new coach?

Post by quackattack »

Howry
Three Star Recruit

Re: Dana Altman about to be our new coach?

Post by Howry »

I think he would be a decent hire. Not great but decent.
ducksrock
Senior

Post by ducksrock »

Howry wrote:I think he would be a decent hire. Not great but decent.
Almost sounds like it's a done deal.....Good, bad, or indifferent? He is a coach that has had some success...Should be interesting....Lets see how this plays out...
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Well this quote here should have every Duck fan happy. "Altman is considered one of the top X’s and O’s guys in the country and built Creighton into a mid-major power, going to seven NCAA tournaments in the span of nine years before falling off a bit over the past three seasons and failing to reach the Big Dance." Something that EK was knocked for over his tenure at UO.
ducksrock
Senior

Post by ducksrock »

buckmarkduck wrote:Well this quote here should have every Duck fan happy. "Altman is considered one of the top X’s and O’s guys in the country and built Creighton into a mid-major power, going to seven NCAA tournaments in the span of nine years before falling off a bit over the past three seasons and failing to reach the Big Dance." Something that EK was knocked for over his tenure at UO.
The only problem with that statement is the "mid-major" part..How that translates into successes in the Pac 10, remains to be seen...Most likely, in Creighton's League, wins are easier to come by than with the competition that the Pac 10 offers....Time will tell
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Interesting.

Big 8 COY, in 1993-94, but what I like about his tenure at Creighton (I know, in the Missouri Valley Conference) is that his only sub-.500 conference record was in 1994-94... Altman's first season as their HC.

Since then, Creighton has only posted on .500 record in conference, in 1995-96. His teams have finished 1st 4 times, and second 6 times. They were in the NCAA's or NIT 12 consecutive seasons.

Maybe not getting the athletes Oregon would recruit, but there must be some coaching chops with a record like that.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

ducksrock
Senior

Post by ducksrock »

woundedknees wrote:Interesting.

Big 8 COY, in 1993-94, but what I like about his tenure at Creighton (I know, in the Missouri Valley Conference) is that his only sub-.500 conference record was in 1994-94... Altman's first season as their HC.

Since then, Creighton has only posted on .500 record in conference, in 1995-96. His teams have finished 1st 4 times, and second 6 times. They were in the NCAA's or NIT 12 consecutive seasons.

Maybe not getting the athletes Oregon would recruit, but there must be some coaching chops with a record like that.
Well, I am surely not being a Negative Nellie....Cautious and reserved is more accurate...And THAT is not characteristic of my personality...lol...Time will tell..
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

It is certainly not what many of us had hoped to see, but other than his Oregon roots, who would have been excited about the EK hire, originally?

If this turns out as well as the Chip Kelly hire (Admit it... Most of you were saying "Chip WHOOOO?") we will all be thrilled.

For now, it's a wait and see situation.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

ducksrock
Senior

Post by ducksrock »

woundedknees wrote:It is certainly not what many of us had hoped to see, but other than his Oregon roots, who would have been excited about the EK hire, originally?

If this turns out as well as the Chip Kelly hire (Admit it... Most of you were saying "Chip WHOOOO?") we will all be thrilled.

For now, it's a wait and see situation.
And he even seems to have more Moxie than Elmer Fudd...Gotta love that....lol
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

He wouldn't be a bad hire even though I would have probably like Gregory or Williams more. His Creighton teams that have made the Tournament have always been competitive with the big schools and are very disciplined in multiple facets of the game. Not the biggest name but one that I think fans may enjoy in time.
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

meh
cordy02c
Senior

Post by cordy02c »

mops tweeted that the hiring is official
gofightingducks
All Pac-12

Post by gofightingducks »

Now hopefully we can land the Terrence's!!!!
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

gofightingducks wrote:Now hopefully we can land the Terrence's!!!!
It can't hurt to have a coach now. It may come down to who he hires as his assistants and how fast he can talk to them.
ducksrock
Senior

Post by ducksrock »

cordy02c wrote:mops tweeted that the hiring is official
mops comes thru again....And the proof is in the puddin....It's another reason why mops GETS ALL THE HOT BABES....lol