Oregon vs Oregon State (OSU won series 2-1)

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

ducksrock
Senior

Re: Oregon vs Oregon State (OSU leads series 1-0)

Post by ducksrock »

YEAH...It was a fun game...The Beaver Believers were there in all their glory..One was drunker than a skunk down in front of us....When we tied the game, he became discombobulated....Didnt get the opp to see him at the end of the game. That would have been priceless....
In all reality, the Beevs did play a much more polished defensive game and seemed to have a better batting game, but their pitching sucked Big Time, especially in the last couple of innings....
Never realized, until tonight, that the word "Closer" is really nothing more than "Loser" when ya drop the "C".... lol...go figure........
illa
One Star Recruit

Post by illa »

Great win, these guys really know how to scrap for a win against more talented squads.

My only gripe though, this team is snackin' retard sandwiches when they're on base. Somebody needs to teach base running fundamentals to these guys, they're shooting themselves in the foot.

In any event, great crowd, great noise. A win tomorrow would just be gravy.
SmiteMaster!
ducksrock
Senior

Post by ducksrock »

illa wrote:Great win, these guys really know how to scrap for a win against more talented squads.

My only gripe though, this team is snackin' retard sandwiches when they're on base. Somebody needs to teach base running fundamentals to these guys, they're shooting themselves in the foot.

In any event, great crowd, great noise. A win tomorrow would just be gravy.
Seems the base coaches are most likely responsible for the two screw ups that we made with the base runners...
On the fly ball to center/right field, our runner was standing on 2nd when the ball was caught in the outfield....Most likely the 1st base coach told him to go....."Bad Choice"...
and the debacle between 3rd and Home Plate...Well, that just plain got ugly, real quick...
Hot box between 1st and 2nd and runner on 3rd headed for Home plate, turning into a Hot box between 3rd and Home plate.....Most probably the 3rd base coach on this one...."Bad Choice"....
I must say, whether it was the runners or the base coaches decisions to go for it....The Beevs handled both situations with cool and collective heads....and showed athleticism and organized baseball skills that I am not sure the young Duck squad can match, at this stage of our program....Didnt like the outcome of either of these situations, but one needs to sit back, watch, and learn from it....
Did Love the final outcome of the game....We were scrappy, no doubt about....
And, as they say at Michigan Stadium...."HAIL TO THE VICTORS" ......lol

............GOOOOOOOOO DUCKS.....
05duck
Three Star Recruit

Post by 05duck »

yea base running errors last night not good! We also left a lot of runners on base, I would like to see the actual numbers..I'm sure we left more on then OSU.

PGE park was fun last night....Take away the drunk Duck and Beaver fans and you have an even better night. I felt like I was a the civil war football game! The ushers didn't know what to do about it, probobly their first civil war!

There was a lot of talk about our "high school baseball team" before the game, and OSU fans not giving the ducks too much respect. I guess we hadn't earned it at that point. The beaver fans around us were talking major crap when they went up 2-0 and kept asking us when we were leaving....little did they know. The game ended well for us. I think we got some luck with the walks in the 8th, but a win is a win, and we got it done!!!

Let's do it again today!!

Best part of the game...the end with beaver fans running to the exits!!!!
GO DUCKS!

Twitter: 05Duck
gofightingducks
All Pac-12

Post by gofightingducks »

I read that it was a PAC-10 record crowd with 15,540 fans in attendance. That's pretty cool!
ducksrock
Senior

Post by ducksrock »

gofightingducks wrote:I read that it was a PAC-10 record crowd with 15,540 fans in attendance. That's pretty cool!
I read that also....Day in and day out, local games dont typically draw anywhere near that number of fans..But, this Civil War game apparently did....Its good to see a rivalry starting here again....Has to be good for the State of Oregon...
I enjoyed playing baseball in HS, but watching it on a regular basis..SoSo.....I must admit, it was a fun evening....
Plus, the Ducks won....lol
GOOOOOO DUCKS....
autzenzoo
Three Star Recruit

Post by autzenzoo »

what an awesome night. we had several mental mistakes but it was still nice to see us come out on top! :D am i the only one that froze my *ss off?
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

3-0 Oregon State in the second. Oregons defense continues to be "bad news bears" like. We must have the worst fielding percentage in division 1 college baseball so far this season.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

duckgrad99 wrote:We must have the worst fielding percentage in division 1 college baseball so far this season.
We were actually second in the Pac10 in fielding percentage up until recently.
gofightingducks
All Pac-12

Post by gofightingducks »

At least the Ducks didn't get swept, I am glad they got one of three against a good Beavers team!
05duck
Three Star Recruit

Post by 05duck »

gofightingducks wrote:At least the Ducks didn't get swept, I am glad they got one of three against a good Beavers team!
agreed! Just need to clean up our infield play, and figure out how to run the bases (mental errors) and we could be in more games. These errors will kill us in pac-10 play.

We all knew this was going to be a long learning season. To see these boys coming out and giving it their all has been great. This will only help this team down the road. I think Oregon Baseball and be something special but it will take time. I think a new goal for this team is to get at least one win in every seires, that would give them 9 pac-10 wins this year. More is always better!
GO DUCKS!

Twitter: 05Duck
duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Post by duckduckgoose »

05duck wrote:
gofightingducks wrote:At least the Ducks didn't get swept, I am glad they got one of three against a good Beavers team!
agreed! Just need to clean up our infield play, and figure out how to run the bases (mental errors) and we could be in more games. These errors will kill us in pac-10 play.

We all knew this was going to be a long learning season. To see these boys coming out and giving it their all has been great. This will only help this team down the road. I think Oregon Baseball and be something special but it will take time. I think a new goal for this team is to get at least one win in every seires, that would give them 9 pac-10 wins this year. More is always better!
Apparently Horton didn't think that the boys were giving it their all this series. After the game today he made the whole team run 27 sets of sprints, because they lacked effort and focus for all 27 outs in the game.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

Apparently Horton didn't think that the boys were giving it their all this series. After the game today he made the whole team run 27 sets of sprints, because they lacked effort and focus for all 27 outs in the game.[/quote]

Good, that's the way it should be. They haven't been playing good ball of late. It's one thing to lose, it's another to continue to give other teams runs because of errors or waste opportunities because of poor baserunning.
illa
One Star Recruit

Post by illa »

Agreed, the mistakes they are making are almost entirely mental. These kids have to be pretty good or they wouldn't be on the squad, but the things I've seen in the four games I've attended this year are just bone-headed plays. Not hitting the cutoff man, the cutoff man not knowing where the runners are, runners not knowing how many outs there are, knowing the situation. Really simple stuff, things you learn in babe ruth, high school, and legion ball.

Situational strategy is also not to my liking, but that's Horton's decision and I'll defer to him everyday of the week and twice on sunday. that guy has more knowledge in his thumb than I have in my body. However, I would have to think that some of those decisions are based on physical and skill limitations.

With the pitching they have, if they can clean up the stupid stuff, they'll win some games.
SmiteMaster!
alabamaduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by alabamaduck »

The mental part of the game is what seperates big leaguers from guys who wash out in college or the minor leagues. Talent wise there's usually not much difference. Give these guys some time, keep in mind they're all playing D-1 baseball for the first time and that there's no veteran leadership to pick these guys up when they make a mistake.

We've got a good enough coaching staff that things will get straightened out!