Super Regional: Kentucky @ Oregon

Post by Merganzer »

Alan
Senior

Re: Super Regional: Kentucky @ Oregon

Post by Alan »

Merganzer wrote:http://www.goducks.com/schedule.aspx?path=softball

First game is Friday.
I have followed Duck softball for a few weeks but still very new to it. Question, Do the Ducks have a series against UK or is it a one and done.

Here's the super regional bracket:

http://www.ncaa.com/interactive-bracket ... ll/d1/2017
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Alan wrote:

First game is Friday.
I have followed Duck softball for a few weeks but still very new to it. Question, Do the Ducks have a series against UK or is it a one and done.

Look at the top of the bracket... "Best of 3 series".

Pretty impressive... 5 of the remaining 16 teams are from the PAC 12. The Force is strong with this conference!
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

we beat kentucky 5-4 in february, but obviously one softball game four months ago doesn't mean much.

looking at their schedule:

they played a very weak non-league.

they benefited greatly from the sec's perceived strength, finish .500 in-league but still warranting the #13 seed.

they only won one series all year against another school that finished seeded, taking 2/3 from texas a&m. before anyone reads too terribly much into that, we only won two series all year against seeded schools: florida state and utah.

we should probably win, but we've been upset in the supers before. and i still don't fully trust our offense. we'll see!
ImageImageImageImageImage
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

woundedknees wrote:
Alan wrote:

First game is Friday.

Look at the top of the bracket... "Best of 3 series".

Pretty impressive... 5 of the remaining 16 teams are from the PAC 12. The Force is strong with this conference!
Ahhh, the small print! One of my many faults, lol thanks
Ducks10
Four Star Recruit

Post by Ducks10 »

Really should be winning this, but like others have said we've fallen flat before in this round.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

oregontrack wrote:we beat kentucky 5-4 in february, but obviously one softball game four months ago doesn't mean much.

they benefited greatly from the sec's perceived strength, finish .500 in-league but still warranting the #13 seed.

they only won one series all year against another school that finished seeded, taking 2/3 from texas a&m. before anyone reads too terribly much into that, we only won two series all year against seeded schools: florida state and utah.

we should probably win, but we've been upset in the supers before. and i still don't fully trust our offense. we'll see!
Agreed on the offense. It scored runs in the regional, but it is a far cry from the offense of last season.The biggest difference is in the power, not nearly as many home runs, but the stolen bases are up. Mack is very similar to Gillespie, Udria had a 43 game streak of getting on base snapped a while back, and really hasn't picked it up since. Lilly has found her swing lately, Mercado has been very consistent, and the big star for the last month has been Rhodes. Pitching is the big advantage this team has, and it may really show in the Super against KY and then hopefully in the WS, with 3 quality pitchers instead of relying on Cheridan Hawkins, as great as she was.
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

Merganzer wrote:
oregontrack wrote:we beat kentucky 5-4 in february, but obviously one softball game four months ago doesn't mean much.

Agreed on the offense. It scored runs in the regional, but it is a far cry from the offense of last season.The biggest difference is in the power, not nearly as many home runs, but the stolen bases are up. Mack is very similar to Gillespie, Udria had a 43 game streak of getting on base snapped a while back, and really hasn't picked it up since. Lilly has found her swing lately, Mercado has been very consistent, and the big star for the last month has been Rhodes. Pitching is the big advantage this team has, and it may really show in the Super against KY and then hopefully in the WS, with 3 quality pitchers instead of relying on Cheridan Hawkins, as great as she was.
The big thing this team does offensively that power teams in the past didn't is put the bat to the ball on the ground and force defenses to make plays. That can wear on you, especially in a close game.
duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Post by duckduckgoose »

Does anyone here besides me prefer watching softball over baseball? I really think those games are far more interesting than watching college baseball. Faster paced no 20 pickoff moves to hold the runner close to first. Anyone? Anyone?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Run Rule Wins!
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

thomas time
Senior

Post by thomas time »

pretty amazing all of the top 16 teams advanced. I think the top pitching ducks have will be enough to advance to the CWS.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

duckduckgoose wrote:Does anyone here besides me prefer watching softball over baseball? I really think those games are far more interesting than watching college baseball. Faster paced no 20 pickoff moves to hold the runner close to first. Anyone? Anyone?

Absolutely! Along with the no pickoff moves, just the time between pitches is so much faster. The defense is so important, as good as the offense for the Ducks was in the Regional, where they really won was on the defensive side, totally uncharacteristic errors kept the first game against Wisconsin close. UIC was overmatched in every facet against Oregon, but especially on the field, relays, cutoffs were hazardous for UIC.
alabamaduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by alabamaduck »

duckduckgoose wrote:Does anyone here besides me prefer watching softball over baseball? I really think those games are far more interesting than watching college baseball. Faster paced no 20 pickoff moves to hold the runner close to first. Anyone? Anyone?

No
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

it really depends. GOOD softball is fun to watch. we're blessed with a well-coached, talented team, so it's become very popular. there were some lean years there in the 90s and 00s where howe field was quite empty and there was virtually no online following.

i think baseball has become a lot like soccer, you either love it or you don't. those that love it can hang by every pitch, those that get bored by it really notice things like pitching changes, stepping out of the box, lazy pick off attempts, etc.

not that those aren't legitimate gripes. i'm a big baseball fan but even i hate those 4-hour yankee/red sox games on espn. the delays in televised baseball can get way out of hand.
ImageImageImageImageImage
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

Somehow softball stays interesting. Baseball is like watching a movie that has an occasion good part and is a hundred pages too long.