Softball adds 1st team all american as a transfer

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

cordy02c
Senior

Softball adds 1st team all american as a transfer

Post by cordy02c »

She was 1st team AA last year at short and hit 29 home runs for Louisiana Lafayette. Her name is D.J Sanders
gogreen55
Senior

Re: Softball adds 1st team all american as a transfer

Post by gogreen55 »

Sounds like a great addition. Hopefully she helps the team break out of their yearly postseason disappearing act at the plate.

http://www.goducks.com/news/2017/11/22/ ... h=softball
thomas time
Senior

Post by thomas time »

seems like they keep getting a key transfer almost every year with top recruiting classes, gotta think one of these years will be theirs if they keep recruiting this well.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Ranked #3 in the nation.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
thomas time
Senior

Post by thomas time »

They start Thursday in a tournament in Arizona vs Georgia at 4 p.m on pac 12. I know they usually struggle in the tourney, but every year I get excited for the softball season to begin.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

This is a key year. You have 3 experienced pitchers now and a Senior infield. They lose some really good players, so next year will be an adjustment. This year and 2 years from now are on paper the years with the shot for a break thru at the Series.

Crossing my fingers that Senior Jenna hits like she did as a freshmen.
thomas time
Senior

Post by thomas time »

I agree with you on Jenna, she been my favorite duck since she has gotten to Eugene. However I think they should still be able to compete for WCWS next year even with the infield seniors gone, their have all 3 of their pitchers back.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

i know georgia is the only team in this tournament that resides anywhere close to oregon's stratosphere, but... damn. the ducks (6-0) annihilated every team they played this week.

in the six games oregon hit 17 home runs, five ducks hit .500 or better and that doesn't include dj sanders, the namesake for this thread, who was 6/13 (.462) w/ 4 home runs. very impressed with what i saw of sanders -- she's a big time transfer but didn't show up trying to swing for the fences each at bat. while she obviously did go yard several times she also had a team-high 7 walks over the long weekend. great eye for the ball, she looks to be an incredible replacement for nikki udria. on the broadcast friday against georgia the announcers said she only had 7 errors at shortstop in 60+ games last year.

up next is a tournament in puerto vallarta. houston on thursday, rutgers and texas friday, ole miss saturday. ole miss is the only ranked team (#15). texas is a traditional power but aren't in the rankings this year.
ImageImageImageImageImage
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I just noticed they have a game scheduled against the Japan National Team early in the year. That's pretty awesome.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

oregontrack wrote:i know georgia is the only team in this tournament that resides anywhere close to oregon's stratosphere, but... damn. the ducks (6-0) annihilated every team they played this week.

in the six games oregon hit 17 home runs, five ducks hit .500 or better and that doesn't include dj sanders, the namesake for this thread, who was 6/13 (.462) w/ 4 home runs. very impressed with what i saw of sanders -- she's a big time transfer but didn't show up trying to swing for the fences each at bat. while she obviously did go yard several times she also had a team-high 7 walks over the long weekend. great eye for the ball, she looks to be an incredible replacement for nikki udria. on the broadcast friday against georgia the announcers said she only had 7 errors at shortstop in 60+ games last year.

up next is a tournament in puerto vallarta. houston on thursday, rutgers and texas friday, ole miss saturday. ole miss is the only ranked team (#15). texas is a traditional power but aren't in the rankings this year.
Sanders fit right in. It truly says something about the talent on this team that Sanders hits 7th in the line up. So far Mary Iakopo, Allison Mack and Mia Caruso, haven't hit a home run; no problem though, they are batting, .692, .609 and .462, respectively.
thomas time
Senior

Post by thomas time »

the offense was amazing scoring 14 runs in 3 straight games, I didn't know that Sanders led the NCAA in homers and RBI'S last year. In the first game Georgia played before playing the ducks they scored 23 runs I think, then only 3 vs ducks. If Jenna does anywhere near what she did her freshman year the offense will be really tough, her and Mack being on base for the middle of the offense. Throw the pitching with the offense and hopefully this will be the year, did make the semifinals last year which was progress for the last couple years.